Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

About ready to slam this new Hyperion charger against the wall. Help!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Angry About ready to slam this new Hyperion charger against the wall. Help!

I finally got around to trying out my new Hyperion EOS1210I 12S charger and I'm getting really frustrated. I can set up the charger with it going directly to the Deans connector on the battery (Lipo) and it's fine. The problem is when I try to hook the battery to the LBA 10 balancer. The LBA flashes the Lipo and A123 LEDs at the same time and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to stay on Lipo. It's like it wants to default to A123. I keep getting an error message on the charger "Output Batt Connect Error". I will say the instructions are not written very well on how to switch the LBA mode to Lipo.

I'm using the JST-XH adaptor board hooked to the LBA since all my packs have JST balance connectors.

If anyone has experience with this I would greatly appreciate you enlightening me on this.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
dogsheep
Banned

Try a phone call to Empire Hobbies, the U.S. distributor: they do provide consumer phone support.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks DS. I didn't know about them. I was going to call Allerc where I bought my balancers and all the connectors from. I was kind of hoping to figure this thing out this weekend.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM
dogsheep
Banned

Go to rcgroups and search for Hyperion chargers-someone like "everydayflyer" or Nippon Dave (the manufacturer?) can straighten it out for you asap!
Old 07-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Twmaster

That one got me at first.

You need to push the button on the lba once -then- tell the charger to charge.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
That one got me at first.

You need to push the button on the lba once -then- tell the charger to charge.
No go Mike. I tried that and it still did the same thing. Guess I'll have to call Allerc Monday.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:39 AM
kcobra

Very well said Louis. Just what I was about to post. The LBA10 takes some getting used to but once you understand what it is telling you it works well.

Grasshopper: Did you order the data port cable? It's pretty handy as it allows the LBA to tell the charger the voltage of the individual cells. Supposedly it enables some other safety features also such as ensuring the charger will not try to charge the pack if the LBA is set to a different type of battery than the charger (LIPO/A123).

If you did not order the data cable then you can make your own out of servo leads. The white (signal) wire goes next to the keyed slot, the red (positive) wire goes in the middle and the black (ground) goes at the other end. The charger/balancer is keyed to use Futaba J connector ends but JR/Airtronics (not the old kind) leads will work as long as the wires are in the right sequence.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

you cant go wrong with a Cellpro charger dont try to upload new programs to your Charger, unless your really really good with computers, or you can cause the charger to not work at all, I dont like the charger with all the new Gismos, to much to go wrong, i belive in KISS

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/0610i-firmware.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48143

Last edited by CHELLIE; 07-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:58 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Thanks Louis, I have the same charger.
I was waiting for Tom to figure it out first.

Paul
Old 07-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
kcobra

I've got a question abou the 1210i. I was playing with the Lipo discharge function last night. The highest voltage it would allow me to set the discharge at was 3.6v per cell. Any way to make it do a higher voltage besides discharging in NIMH/NICAD mode? I would like to discharge each lipo cell down to around 3.8v per cell.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
The LBA10 is in Lipo mode by default. Make sure your charger setting is for Lipo and the correct cell count. Turn on the charger and plug the LBA10 power leads into the charger.

Before you start, look at the fuse in the LBA10, is it blown? If so, then replace the fuse. It takes a 10 amp standard auto fuse. Take one out of the wife's car if you have no spares on hand.

First of all ... is the Network switch set to Master or Slave. If you are using only one charger, then set the switch to Master. Now connect the LBA red/black leads into the charger.

Second .... make sure you have the correct harness ... 2s, 3s, 4s connected into the LBA10.

Third ... connect the BALANCE connector of the battery to the LBA10 BALANCE harness.

...The LIPO and likely the A123 Cell Type Status LEDs will now blink at 1 second intervals.
...This is normal.

...Within 12 seconds, you MUST connect the battery leads to the charger leads.

...Now the A123 LED will stop flashing and the Lipo LED will be lit solid and you will likely see
...one of the cell LEDs flash.

The LBA will auto sense the Lipo and you will see at least one blinking cell LED. Now push and release ONE time the MODE/RESET button. The Lipo LED will now flash 1 time a second to indicate that the LBA10 is now in Connection Mode. You can now start the charge by pressing the ENTER button on the charger.

ONLY IF you had an A123 battery, would you hold the MODE/RESET button for 2 seconds after you connect the battery to the balance plug of the LBA10. By doing that you would be selecting A123 as the battery type to be charged.

Sometimes if the LBA10 is confused, you will need to unplug the battery from the LBA and then the LBA from the charger. Then plug the LBA back into the charger and then the battery balance lead into the LBA and then the battery power leads into the LBA. Let the LBA autosense the Lipo, observe one blinking or more blinking LED

What has happened to you has happened to countless others, myself included. I gave Dave at AllERC hell one day over the Hyperion. Only problem was, I was wrong. Fortunantly Dave is a fine person and human being, after a few minutes he calmed me down and walked me through the process.
Thanks for all that info Louis,

I tried it in the order you stated and it does light up the LEDs but it never lights up the Lipo LED. It's always on the A123 and no matter what I do, I can't get it to change to lipo. I've got two of the LBA10 balancers so I can charge two packs at the same time. Both LBAs do the same thing. I have not tried them hooked as master and slave, only a single unit set to master. I guess I'll call Allerc tomorrow and have them walk me through it.

Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
Very well said Louis. Just what I was about to post. The LBA10 takes some getting used to but once you understand what it is telling you it works well.

Grasshopper: Did you order the data port cable? It's pretty handy as it allows the LBA to tell the charger the voltage of the individual cells. Supposedly it enables some other safety features also such as ensuring the charger will not try to charge the pack if the LBA is set to a different type of battery than the charger (LIPO/A123).

If you did not order the data cable then you can make your own out of servo leads. The white (signal) wire goes next to the keyed slot, the red (positive) wire goes in the middle and the black (ground) goes at the other end. The charger/balancer is keyed to use Futaba J connector ends but JR/Airtronics (not the old kind) leads will work as long as the wires are in the right sequence.
Hello Kcobra,

Yes, I have the data port cable as well. I have the charger, two LBA-10 balancers, two JST-XH balance adaptors, network cable and two of the adaptor cables to hook the adaptor boards to the LBAs. This has been really frustrating. I have read and re read the instructions several times and I just can't seem to get these dang balancers to work right.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:29 AM
kcobra

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Thanks for all that info Louis,

I tried it in the order you stated and it does light up the LEDs but it never lights up the Lipo LED. It's always on the A123 and no matter what I do, I can't get it to change to lipo. I've got two of the LBA10 balancers so I can charge two packs at the same time. Both LBAs do the same thing. I have not tried them hooked as master and slave, only a single unit set to master. I guess I'll call Allerc tomorrow and have them walk me through it.

Hello Kcobra,

Yes, I have the data port cable as well. I have the charger, two LBA-10 balancers, two JST-XH balance adaptors, network cable and two of the adaptor cables to hook the adaptor boards to the LBAs. This has been really frustrating. I have read and re read the instructions several times and I just can't seem to get these dang balancers to work right.
So when you plug the balance tap in, then the charge leads the a123 light should be solid burning indicating disconnect mode. Immediately hold down the button for 2 seconds and it should switch to the lipo light. Try it without the balancer plugged into the charger.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
So when you plug the balance tap in, then the charge leads the a123 light should be solid burning indicating disconnect mode. Immediately hold down the button for 2 seconds and it should switch to the lipo light. Try it without the balancer plugged into the charger.
OK, some progress. Doing that did change the light from A123 to Lipo. Now, the Lipo LED stays on and one of the cell LEDs flashes real fast. When I push the enter button to start charging, I still get "Output battery connection error".

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Grasshopper ..... bummer!! Sorry to hear this problem is still with you.

I have to ask this, so no offense okay, are you certain that you are using the correct balance harness for the type of balance tap that you have on your battery?

As an example, are you using Hyperion batteries with the Polyquest/Hyperion balance tap but, the balance harness is for a different type of balance tap.

The reason I ask is that it would be unusual for you to have two bad LBA10's as well as two bad balance harnesses or multiport boards.

Even if you do a Disconnection Mode balance, where you do not attach the LBA10 to the charger, you should still get the correct sequence of lights so, the charger is not an issue. This leaves the LBA10, balance harness and battery.

P.S. ... and what Kcobra said above ....
No offense taken Louis. I appreciate all the help from you guys. I'm using the multi adaptor balance harness with JST plugs on it. All of my packs have the JST balance connectors. Here's the board I'm using:

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3159
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Fast Guy

Grasshopper, what make of packs are you using? I have 2 of the LBA 10A balancers. When I plug the batteries balance tap into the multi adaptor balance harness both lights flash together every second. They do this until you plug in the pack's main harness ( you have 12 seconds to do this) at which time the last selected mode ( red A123 light in your case) glows steady. This is when you press and hold the Mode/Reset button until the green LiPo 3.7v light comes on steady. The balancer is now in the disconnect balance only mode. Pressing the mode button quickly again puts the balancer into the connect/charge mode and the cell type light will flash every second. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
Grasshopper, what make of packs are you using? I have 2 of the LBA 10A balancers. When I plug the batteries balance tap into the multi adaptor balance harness both lights flash together every second. They do this until you plug in the pack's main harness ( you have 12 seconds to do this) at which time the last selected mode ( red A123 light in your case) glows steady. This is when you press and hold the Mode/Reset button until the green LiPo 3.7v light comes on steady. The balancer is now in the disconnect balance only mode. Pressing the mode button quickly again puts the balancer into the connect/charge mode and the cell type light will flash every second. Hope this helps.

Thanks Fastguy! That got it! I can now charge single packs. Now I'm working on two packs networked together. I get an error message "Output voltage too high" I'm sure I'v just got to change a setting somewhere in the charger when charging two packs in series. Hyperion REALLY needs to work on the instructions for these things. I consider myself fairly smart and able to follow instructions pretty well but these are a little lacking.

Thanks to Louis and Kcobra for all your help also!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

OK, I think I got it all working now. In order to charge two 3S packs in series, the charger needs to be set for 6S. If the packs are 2200 mAh each, do I set the charger for 6S 2200 mAh or 6S 4400 mAh?

The only thing left to figure out is what the individual cell LEDs mean. I'm assuming that they light up when that cell is charging but don't know for sure.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

All's well in Grasshopperville now. I spoke to the guys at Allerc. When charging two packs in series with two LBA-10s you set the charger to the mAh rating of one pack. Since I was charging two 3S 2200 mAh packs, the charger was set to 6S 2200 mAh and 2.2 amps charge rate for 1C charging. I also tried the discharge cycle and it worked fine. As for the individual cell LEDs, they just indicate when a cell is receiving the charge or discharge.

So, now I think I'll sit back, have a cold Corona (with lime slice) and let the rest of my packs charge. I really appreciate all the help you guys gave.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Twmaster

What!! You didn't bring enough beer for us all???

Shame!!!

Glad you got it sorted out. Wait until you read up on and understand the charge prediction stuff...

These chargers are amazing tools.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 PM
dogsheep
Banned

TW, how are you? Just dropped in to say ole Sunday is still flying great! Sorry if off topic. DS
Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
What!! You didn't bring enough beer for us all???

Shame!!!

Glad you got it sorted out. Wait until you read up on and understand the charge prediction stuff...

These chargers are amazing tools.
I've always got a cold one waiting for you Mike. Just come on over and get it.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

How has the charger been treating you Tom?

Quick Reply: About ready to slam this new Hyperion charger against the wall. Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11851 seconds with 11 queries