Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Toshiba Service center woes

Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
They've had some class action suits already in the past. Haven't spent the time researching when and why.

I'm waiting on them to get it back to me, they didn't not send it out the day I asked them to but it was in the afternoon.

Another Toshibaism:
Me: Go ahead and send the laptop back, I'll fix the thing myself.
TR: "If you do that sir, it voids the warranty!"
Me: What warranty? The broken screen should have been covered under warranty.
TR: Have a nice day sir. Click......
Hi Don video and record all your calls to toshiba, then post the video at you tube, and send toshiba the link make sure you ask to record the calls, and say, this call will be be recorded for training purposes Toshiba will love it
Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Not all states require that both parties be notified that they are being recorded. In Oklahoma, only one party has to know they are being recorded. Of course that can be the person doing the recording.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

It made it back this evening and really did some testing on it. Now there are three more breaks on the edges of the screen, I hope it broke as easily for Toshiba as it did for me.
There was no testing data in the box or on the screen letting me know what it took to make the other breaks.

They did update the bios and replaced the DMI cable which I found out was the brand name of the cable that hooks the screen to the computer. They even put the computer back together and packed it well.

Nothing from the BBB or State of Tennessee yet, frankly it's too soon for either. I've learned a lesson from all this, do even more research when making the decision to make a large purchase.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:27 AM
dogsheep
Banned

Don, this really sucks-you had no rational reason to research or question this company's commercial reputation or practices before buying. You've been done dirty, it's just that simple.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Well Don - if it makes you feel any better - I am in the market for a laptop or netbook. I have narrowed my list to:
Acer
Gateway
HP

I had a Toshiba - I was seriously considering from Costco......
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

But now - it is off my list. Acer has one with better features for $50 more....

So you can tell them they have cost themselves a sale. I suspect I am not the only one.

Although I am likely to get a netbook just for battery life and size - Toshiba had one I was considering too....

Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

I've got an HP and love it.

Good customer service. I spilled water all over it on accident and called HP about the mouse pad not working. They said send it in and we'll replace it for the price of shipping.

Ended up working again when it fully dried out, so I never did send it in.

Sorry to hear about the Toshiba, Don.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Stay away from Gateway as well. Customer service is the worst. Long story. (frown)
Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

When we got home from a long weekend trip letters were waiting from the BBB and state. Toshiba blamed me for the screen breaking and requested the case be closed. I sent a reply requesting it to remain open since they haven't resolved the issue. They said I should have spent a couple of hundred more on extra coverage for the computer.

The state hasn't gotten a reply from Toshiba yet and are giving them a couple more weeks.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

BTW took an old laptop on the trip with us, the DSL connection worked fine but my wireless card died in it after nine years or so of use..... I'll happily replace that if need be, nine years of use with the old laptop versus two months with my high priced Toshiba....
Old 07-17-2009, 12:58 AM
pd1
Still Learning

Even if Toshiba stepped up to the plate and repaired the unit under warranty, there's no way I'd buy a Toshiba product now.

Paul
Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Simpsonboy77

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Well Don - if it makes you feel any better - I am in the market for a laptop or netbook. I have narrowed my list to:
Acer
Gateway
HP
Mike
My friend has an Acer. He was quite happy with it until the graphics card went >.<. It was 2 days out of warranty, but they still honored it. They are good in my book.

I own 2 HP's desktops. They are quite old, maybe 6 and 8 years respectively. They still run fine, only minor stuff was needed like vacuuming it out and such.