Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

EasyGlider Electric / DX7 Setup

Old 05-26-2007, 03:34 AM
DeGrey

Question EasyGlider Electric / DX7 Setup

Hey everyone! I've been poking around the forums for a while and haven't found a satisfactory answer to a question I have so I thought I would finally post to get some advice from the experts.

I'm an new to sailplanes (migrated over from RC helis) and have been playing around with an Easy Glider electric. No extended flights yet, just floating around a local field getting the hang of everything.

Now, my question is, what is the best way to set the throttle up on a glider like this? Right now I have it set normally on the left stick but the more I learn about glider setup, the more I question if that is the "correct" way to do things as I have seen some setups where that stick is used for flaperon/spoileron deployment.

I have my flaperons setup on the 3 position flap switch on my DX7 transmitter right now. Elevetor, Aileron, and rudder 2 position D/R switches are setup to kick my throws back to 75% on each. I have the aileron differential setup as defined in the manual as well as a little bit of airleron/rudder mixing. Exponential is set to 10% on everything.

I've been going through the Radio Carbon Art DVDs on Performance Tuning and the newest Radio Clinic for Sailplanes. Both are wonderfully informative but I have a little bit of an information overload now and need some guidance.

So, if any of you can help me make sure I have this DX7 / EasyGlider Electric combo setup correctly for a first time pilot, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. If there is any other information you need, let me know and I'll answer the best I can.

Thank you!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

You could move the throttle to a switch on the DX-7, then use the throttle stick for your flaperons.
The motor then is either running or stopped. Stopping the motor abruptly might damage the gear box.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:43 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I would leave the throttle on the stick. That is where I have mine on my Easy Glider. Flapperons and spoilerons on a switch is fine. On this plane you really don't regulate them as you would on a full house Thermal Duration contest plane.

If they work where they are, I would leave them there.

However, many glider pilots do put the throttle on a switch. Then you only have full on and full off. They move flaps to the stick, but you don't have flaps, you have flapperons/spoilerons. I think that lends itself more to a switch myself.

I prefer to have full range throttle control on my Easy Glider.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 AM
DeGrey

Thanks for the replies. I took the Glider out for a spin leaving throttle on the stick as I originally had it. It was a very gusty day but I REALLY wanted to fly so I went for it anyway.

About 30 seconds after I get everything setup and ready to go, it starts raining too! I was determined to fly so I gave it a go for about 5 minutes. Toss, glide, land, run, toss, glide, land, run... I did that for 4 short flights up and down the field then called it quits because the rain was picking up and it was next to impossible to keep a nice glide path with the gusting wind.

Maybe I'll be able to get back out to the wide open again soon and actually learn how to fly this thing.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Congratulations on a successful day despite the rain.

Be mindful that water absorbs 2.4 GHz waves. That is how you microwave heats water.

I would not recommend flying in rain or fog anyway, but with 2.4, I would be especially cautious.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM
DeGrey

Yeah, I knew it wasn't the best idea but I had driven an hour to get to the field and wasn't going to leave without at least a little flying. Although, I would hardly consider what was done "flying". More like somewhat controlled 100 foot hops.

There are storms headed this way again today so I may go the the LHS and see if they have any sailplanes I can stay home and build. It's not very likely but it gives me something to do