Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

GP SYNAPSE EDF anyone got one of these

Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Question GP SYNAPSE EDF anyone got one of these

got a gift certificate for xmas from tower so i ordered one of these today anybody have any experience with this plane let me know thanks
DAVE
Great Planes Synapse EDF RxR Receiver Ready 26.5"

Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
A couple of guys at our field have these. They're easy to assemble or these guys couldn't do the job and they are pretrty stable in flight. They launch easy, fly fast, and land slow if you bring the nose up a bit.
All of this with the recomended set up.

I think they're a bit on the draggy side what with the faux intakes and all, you culd clean them up and get even more speed. But for an ARF EDF wing they're really pretty good planes.
They kept up with my hot rod EDF Stryker very well and were easy to see in flight, bright yellow does that though...
All in all a pretty good choice for a first EDF.
RobII
Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default thanks

that is what i wanted was a comparison to a stryker that was my first choice one of the guys at our field has a STRYKER C but tower does not carry them and i had a gift certificate to use so i went with this one looked pretty simple thanks .
Old 12-31-2007, 04:38 PM
mustangpilot

Hey guys, I just picked one up, I have not flown it yet. It does go together fast, but not much to do, cut grove for ESC leads install rec and battery. Hoping to fly new year's day but our weather does not sound good, two inches of snow and twenty mph winds It may have to wait. More later.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default just got mine also

yep just got mine to it is cool!!!!!! charging battery tonite installing radio tomorrow but we are suppose to get 10-12 inches tonite it will be awhile before it leaves the ground but i like it it sure looks fast time will tell would still like to here from others who have flown it already.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 AM
RRisflying4me

Default Fun to fly

Hi All,

Have one of these and it fly great. Easy to fly and pretty fast. Also have the Stryker F-27C and this is a little faster. Make sure you hit a clicks up on the elevator before hand launching this little guy. Hope you have fun
Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Ya, I've had my eye on one of those myself. Looks pretty sweet..
Old 01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

you are saying the synapse is a little quicker than your stryker or the stryker is faster???

Originally Posted by RRisflying4me View Post
Hi All,

Have one of these and it fly great. Easy to fly and pretty fast. Also have the Stryker F-27C and this is a little faster. Make sure you hit a clicks up on the elevator before hand launching this little guy. Hope you have fun
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default question

for you guys that got one of these was it the r x r version i got mine and going thru the manual it says to take apart the edf unit and put it back together with locktight wondering if this is for the non r x r version or if you need to do this i thought it was ready to fly and i would not have to do this it would already be done i have ran it and it seems ok but i don't want to damage it hope you can help me here
Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

You may want to do that if it is suggested. Some components may be prone to loosening up from vibration during flight.. I can't see what difference it would make on either version. Better be safe than sorry..
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default ok thanks

after reading it again it is talking about regular maintence and it shows you how to dissasemble the fan unit and reassemble and then test it. I do have to do a run up break in yet and then just have to wait for a nice calm day to give her a toss thanks for replying and wish me luck
Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 AM
jatekman

Default Synapse on Order

Hello,

I also received a gift certificate from Tower for Christmas and after much contemplation decided to order the Receiver Ready version of the Synapse yesterday...it looks pretty cool with a reasonable price and I've been itching to enter the ducted fan portion of the r/c plane hobby.

After a 15 year "break" from the hobby I dove back in a little over a year ago with a Mountain Models Magpie w/brushles set-up w/ both wings...the thing is a beast and will just not die, even after numerous rough landings and cocky close-to-the-ground mishaps. Before it I had only flown nitro.

I hope the Synapse is as reliable and fun as the Magpie...good luck and let me know how the maiden goes for you.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default motor broke in

i did my motor break in last night i hope to get her in the air this weekend if the weather holds out i will keep you posted
Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
ParkJetsFlyer

Originally Posted by dmmalish View Post
i did my motor break in last night i hope to get her in the air this weekend if the weather holds out i will keep you posted
I'm curious, what did you have to do to break in the motor?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default break-in

Originally Posted by ParkJetsFlyer View Post
I'm curious, what did you have to do to break in the motor?
per the instructions run it at 1/4 throttle for 3 minutes listening for any abnormal noises if all ok go to half throttle for 3 minutes then to 3/4 and then wide open going back and forth from 3/4 to w/o not sure i did the total 12 minutes i did not want it to overheat just sitting there but i had no problems and it appears to be ready to go may adjust my dual rates again before maiden flight this is my first i'm a little nervous
Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 AM
jatekman

Default Dual Rates/Mixing-Same Thing?

I have a JR computer radio w/ mixing capabilities, but I've never used it before and I'm clueless about dual rates, mixing, etc...why is mixing necessary and is it easy to set-up? I would think it wouldn't be absolutely required to fly the Synapse but it does say in the Tower ad it requires a radio with mixing. It'll probably make more sense when it arrives and I can look at it. Not sure what dual rates means, either.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default mixing / dual rates

Originally Posted by jatekman View Post
I have a JR computer radio w/ mixing capabilities, but I've never used it before and I'm clueless about dual rates, mixing, etc...why is mixing necessary and is it easy to set-up? I would think it wouldn't be absolutely required to fly the Synapse but it does say in the Tower ad it requires a radio with mixing. It'll probably make more sense when it arrives and I can look at it. Not sure what dual rates means, either.
mixing is needed with this plane because there are only ailerons on this plane so you have to be able to mix your elevator channel and your aileron channel so when you push the stick forward both ailerons move down and when you pull back both aielerons move up acting as the elevator and then when you steer left or right they are normal .

dual rates are so you can set up to have the controls move alot on high rate and move less on low rate to help control when first learning to fly an aircraft or to help calm things down when landing

hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
BuzzardBait
Landing Gear?????????

Default Balance the fan

I don't have any experience with the synapse... however.. my bud has both the miglet and XPD-8 wich use the same "hyperflow" fan.

The fans aren't bad units... but he built the Miglet first, and didn't balance the fan.

My GOD it was (is) a noisey little pig..... Uuuugggghhhhhh.. It didn't seem to vibrate all that much, but the noise was intollerable!!

When he built the XPD-8, we balanced the fan and that made a HUGE difference in sound and its a bit faster and has a bit better acceleration than the miglet as well.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 AM
jatekman

Default Help-Motor/Fan Unit won't run

The Synapse arrived today and I have been setting it up-Thanks for the info on mixing & dual rates-I was able to set it up fairly easily except for one major problem-I cannot get the motor/fan unit to function at all. I wonder if it requires a fully charged battery to start? I have a JR tx w/ Berg Microstamp 4L rx and using the suggested 11.1 1250 mah battery. I have the throttle connected to channel 1, which I'm 95% sure is correct. I did try it in channel 4 just to see if that made a difference and the motor unit beeped continuously and still woudn't run; I figured the beeping indicated it wasn't connected properly, but still no luck connected to channel 1. I'm charging the battery now so hopefully that will do the trick. If not, any suggestions and/or solutions from anyone would be appreciated...no trouble-shooting guide in the manual whatsoever, simply says "arm the speed control and advance throttle." Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 AM
jatekman

Fully charged the battery and still nothing...Either I'm overlooking something simple somewhere or I have a faulty motor unit. I may call or email product support.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:00 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

The Synapse arrived today and I have been setting it up-Thanks for the info on mixing & dual rates-I was able to set it up fairly easily except for one major problem-I cannot get the motor/fan unit to function at all. I wonder if it requires a fully charged battery to start? I have a JR tx w/ Berg Microstamp 4L rx and using the suggested 11.1 1250 mah battery. I have the throttle connected to channel 1, which I'm 95% sure is correct. I did try it in channel 4 just to see if that made a difference and the motor unit beeped continuously and still woudn't run; I figured the beeping indicated it wasn't connected properly, but still no luck connected to channel 1. I'm charging the battery now so hopefully that will do the trick. If not, any suggestions and/or solutions from anyone would be appreciated...no trouble-shooting guide in the manual whatsoever, simply says "arm the speed control and advance throttle." Thanks.
try plugging into channel 3 that is the throttle channel, 1 is for aielerons hope this helps
Old 01-06-2008, 02:19 AM
jatekman

Default Still Nothing

Thanks for the response, I tried channel 3 and it didn't work either. I tried each channel and the motor beeps on each of them except channel 1, when it makes one higher pitch tone sound, so I think channel 1 is for throttle on JR radios. However it still will not run...maybe the Castle Creations receiver is not compatible with the ESC the Synapse came with? I'll have to try product support.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Thanks for the response, I tried channel 3 and it didn't work either. I tried each channel and the motor beeps on each of them except channel 1, when it makes one higher pitch tone sound, so I think channel 1 is for throttle on JR radios. However it still will not run...maybe the Castle Creations receiver is not compatible with the ESC the Synapse came with? I'll have to try product support.
not sure on my futaba it's channel 3 make sure the trim is in the middle also even if it is ch 1 on yours the procedure is to go to full throttle you should here a couple of beeps then return throttle to off may here another beep then it should be set other than that i'm not sure you may want to start another thread stating your problem to get some other input
Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 AM
jatekman

Default It works

I was able to get the unit running simply by doing what you said...going to full throttle and holding until a series of beeps, then back down completely, then it seems to arm and is ready. Thanks for the advice, I never thought to keep it at full throttle for a few seconds, nothing in the manual about it, but I still feel like an idiot. Thanks again, if the weather ever clears and the wind calms down maybe I'll be able to fly soon.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:34 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Arrow Synapse, ESC's, & Stuff

Going to full throttle normally enters the ESC programming mode. If I remember right going full and then low with Great Planes toggles the brake setting then arms.

Normally to get the ESC to arm the throttle needs to be as low as it can go. My ESC's arm fine with the trim in neutral but I have seen some that need the trim as low as it can go. Also check the servo travel settings in the transmiter and make sure the top and bottom settings are at 100%. There also might be a setting in the ESC that controls the throttle. Of course you could have bad ESC.

If you have a Great Planes ESC go to thier web-site and download the manual for it. If you can't find the manual e-mail Great Planes and get them to find it for you. I asked them for a manual I couldn't find and they sent me the link to the PDF file; the plane ate my ESC manual while I was programming it - sucked it up and turned it into confetti! That's why I don't like Great Planes ESC's.

Channels: Futaba is ch3 and Spektrum/JR is ch1.

I've been looking at the Synapse because I like the idea of ducted fans - no prop to snap off or to slice your fingers. I'm looking at getting the ARF instead of the RXR - 1) I hate Great Planes ESC's, they're a !#$%^&*! to program and I dont think they're as good as Castle or eFlite; 2) I'm thinking of putting a bigger motor in the DF.

Quick Reply: GP SYNAPSE EDF anyone got one of these

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11699 seconds with 12 queries