Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

First Bipe flight S2-A

Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Jaiwill

Default First Bipe flight S2-A

Hi all,
I have the Easyfly st330 and the J3 grasshopper that i have been flying/relearning on and the Pitts hanging in the hobby room. On phillipmorris's advice i thought i would do some taxiing with it to get a feel of the plane. The oval i use is cut very short so taxiing and manouvering on ground is no prob.

So off i go, prep the pitts and start taxiing around i was nervous and wasnt sure how id go i certainly didnt think of flying it today... I did have some warning that this plane will take off on half throttle or less............. and it did.......... Holy crap!!!!!!!! excitement, elation, nervousness, %$&*# myself

After settling myself down and realizing that i can do this, i did do it. this was awesome what a flyer, it wasnt the uncontrollable (by me anyway) aerobatic monster i thought it would be. very steady and not over responsive. I got some height and did a bit of looping and rolling i cant stop smiling. What a plane i love it looks great in the air and is easy to fly (with a bit of aileron experience). Slow flyer, but add the throttle and it can move, it just keeps climbing you have to throttle back or lose it..... wheres that charger
Old 08-16-2008, 12:18 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Fantastic, you made it !!

Batteries, need more of those, hi hi, Well Well, you made it, was going to Warn You once you taxi somehow these planes simply take off, heh heh....no its not a monster at all, just slightly responsive, like it don't ya, me too, getting my 3rd or 4th hopefully soon, Bipes are so great..

LEARNING-PREFLIGHT CHECK !!

Will add in all the excitement be sure and do the flight checks, antenna out, transmitter on, controls functioning correctly, easy to make an error here in all the excitement...

Met two other flyers last yesterday, was flying also with my friend into high performance sailplanes, gets these from the Ukraine, are among the best out there, anyway he did a glide test after re-setting his computer tranmitter and it wasn't behaving correctly at all, fortunately he recovered as had the transmitter off !!! Warren, myself pilot #2, Bob my friend was flying the DareDevil, it really will fly rather well even tho we give it a low score infact he liked the DareDevil, so in attempting a knife edge somethings amiss, DareDevil is again missbehaving terrible, use rudder during this manuver, said WARREN you have the RUDDER REVERSED, other than the tail dragger take off I fly all alileron so missed this, smiling I replied gads no wonder I have issues during take offs....Really nice two fellas met for the first time stopped by with a Goldberg beauty, tho gas, was a huge 60 inch trainer span, was to have his Dad fly, gets the gas motor going, not flown for awhile, taxied and off she goes once airborne somethings amiss not behaving correctly (where have we heard that before) nosed it in but minimal damage this planes a beast, take loads of abuse, anyway his AILERONS were reversed, so 3 pilots and 3 score zero on preflight check or would have discovered our errors, His Dad was fine, didn't have a chance to fly but ended with a very friendly meeting, oh and 3 of the 4 of us are all Hams or Amateur Radio Operators, amazing there, hi hi..so enjoyed great experience, SO PLEASE PREFLIGHT CHECK, hi hi...

Sorry so windy, your up up and away now keep us posted on your adventures..knew you could do it !! Very Best, WARREN ...<>..
Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Jaiwill

Well well, what a small world we live in, hams aye thats also a term im familliar with, another hobby my fathers been doing for years. If your interested and PM me with a few details i can hook him up with you. Hes into it all im not a full bottle on it but the house i grew up in looks more akin to a yacht club than a house. Beams, dipoles and verticles everywhere.

Anyway way off track here the flights today were fantastic, the only downer was overstaying my welcome and the battery going flat on my way downwind, had to land this way edged the wing in bent the prop shaft and small crack in fuzz but all fixed now and no dramas. all in the learning curve aye........... Is it light outside yet

I also met a fellow flyer on the oval i fly on hes got a few but the one hes flying at moment is one of the great planes 3D prop hanging , knife edging, gravity defying indoor flyers awesome to watch.........Cheers and Best
Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Dings, all part of the learning curve, mine are loaded with these, but its still great fun..

Well, my DareDevil, Dared out about 10 flights, then today it took off rather lazily, then rocketed up into the sun, by the time I recovered was doing a low loop thud into the ground, shaft is U shape, not sure if I'll get this up again, didn't like the noisy gear box at all, hi hi...<>..

Waiting for the Apprentice Trainer (58 inch wing span) via E-flite to reach the market, infact one on early order, getting anxious for some fun nights flights, now here's an experinece as trainers work very well for this, spotting the lights for the landing is downright hysterical, amazing anyone can fly this way with beads of light but had no idea on how much fun this really is...extends the flight times into the evening when conditions usually are the best...max recovery throws are the norm, perhaps needed, hi hi...<>..I'll likely be the first to check out the durable Apprentice Z-foam..<>...

Ok on the Ham Radio info on your other thread, mine unfortunately is collecting dust, too busy with learning rc, never ending story...Best keep us posted on things...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Jaiwill

Took the pitts out again after repairs and nervously did cockpit check and headed out for taxi. Wanted to do a range check as was not completely sure it wasnt plane that didnt respond not outside interferance. so did check on ground and suspended in air found range to be very poor 50 paces before jittery servos i could see the elevator moving a least half its throw, not good enough so packed up and went home....

electronics can be a game of centimetres so moving the receiver and servo wires came up with a better plan.. Back to oval, with new plan in action 100 paces was reached with no visible signs of jittery servos much happier with this...

Did a bit of a taxi and off we go, still very nervous but settled in and wasnt long before looping and snap rolling...Ahhhhh thats better..my relaxation was short lived... pulling out of a loop the top wing folded and pulled the bottom right wing from its self... a parachuting landing ensued.. I think the top wing was fractured in last incident and didnt have much left in it.... Back to repair room....
Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Well don't feel bad, I had an excellent route with the Art-Tech till last evening went too far out on a snap roll and went below tree line with no visual, heard it crash on the pavement, afraid its seen its better days but managed 50 plus flights on her, now I know where the servos will come from on the newly arrival Bipe Cox Eagle, won't have to search for receiver or servos, hi hi, it comes with brushed (Correction Brushless) motor and hook-ups, needs transmitter, servo's, and receiver, now I'm ready on the next one, gads....my goal is not to lose this one...<>...

Well the Apprentice at last arrived and she's a beauty, bigger than my prized Super Cub on earliest ventures, it flys very well, should work on upcoming Night Flights, will build some flight time even tho its a trainer, again love the 5 foot span on this puppie, looks great in the air and lands easily...power to burn, it will stand right up on its tail if your not careful on take-off...<>..nice ..<>..

Hang in there, gads if I'd just be more careful, hi hi...<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 08-27-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Hmmm, so your Cox Eagle came with a brushed motor? That's strange, I thought they all came with a brushless like mine did.
I wonder if thats why they are going for 89 bucks. Well, anyway sad to hear of your crash, and hope the Eagle does well for ya. Though I'd rather it be a BL setup it may do well anyway for all I know.
I was gonna get one from Cox to have an extra one cause I love it so much, but if they are coming with only a brushed unit I may have to rethink that.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 AM
Jaiwill

Just not having any luck... while repairing the pitts noticed the ailerons a little stiff, so a bit of crc later and all moving nicely.... On reassembly and radio check noticed the top aileron horns going past centre and locking on full lock.. so reduced throw and fixed it..

Went out for fly did the usual range check and cockpit check and off we go.
Flew around for 5 mins then come out of turn and it didnt straighten up, spiralled and diving hit the ground. Luckily had time to throttle off and other things to minimise carnage. On approaching the plane noticed top aileron locked down full.... only bent undercarriage and prop shaft again.. thank god if there was much more damage i would have got my gear out and binned it...

Theres a line there somewhere and this things close.. anyway been messing with it for a few days trying a lot of things, it appears the servo throws one way more than the other prob standard for cheap gear???
Ive found a happy medium and hopefully next flight be more enjoyable although confidence with this model down a bit...

Just on your comment sabrehawk i think its the old addage "you only get what you pay for" i have a "brushed" model and certainly wont be going down that road again, Unless i have a brushless waiting for it....
Old 08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yes the gear isn't top quality, but should eventually fly for you, great learning experience...

Gads, yes the Cox Eagle Bipe is certainly brushless, too early reples, not awake...

My Bipe is on hold as on the Apprentice flights, back into the world of Night Flying, its was great this morning tho need some more balancing for correct flights with the added lights etc, did a couple dusk flights with some daylight, then this morning total darkness but the parking lot was well lit for landing, came in like a champ but showed nose heavy and unbalanced wing, otherwise pulled it off, its fantastic, and conditions are usually excellent during evenings and breezes let up even more. Sure many more ahead...eventually get the Bipe going...<>...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Jaiwill

Well it feels like christmas... The DX6i gear has arrived the Easyfly and Pitts are both converted.. Just have to finish off the Ultimate Biplane and install the spektrum receiver and im off.. Spektrum all the way, busy reading instruction manual at the moment, do it right this time, most of the time i read the manual second..
Looking at the ARF EP Reflection 3D Bipe profile plane for indoors
Hows things your way Warren weather turning rough yet...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:08 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Had a fly away, certainly not the norm for me, the Glider had set up for Night Flying, worked like a charm early twilight, other day tried complete darkness, was fine for several minutes, too far out and turned enough times to lose here, what a delema, several blocks, yet to find her, field of beans likely where she ended up or who knows where, hi hi, another fuse on order, so will back flying soon..

Perhaps a huge error as the one already mentioned but ordered the Mirage 2000 ducted fan jet, dropped the price on this puppie $80 total $149 for the RTF Ready To Fly works, wow, flown the Stryker B, a flying wing, so maybe a chance here...lots of excitement ahead, hi hi...

Stryker
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1200

Mirage 2000 Jet Ducted, dropped $229 down to $149, Whew...
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mirage.htm

Wow your set up sounds fantastic, keep away from Night Flights and you'll be fine...

BEST WARREN ..<>..
Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Jaiwill

Default Belated Pitts update

Had the Pitts try to take off on me in the hobby room the other day. Had to make a quick lunge for it copped the prop in the hand cut finger and broken prop...

Thought this would be good opportunity to change the three paddle setup to something more readily available as having a lot of trouble getting them.
So went to LHS and purchased a clamp style prop adapter and one of APC's props. Changing from three to two blades requires upping the diameter by one, and if your going from four to three you up the pitch by one...

These clamp style adapters are awesome theres no fiddly hex key arrangement that never seems to center properly and causes vibrations. Completely happy with this, a 1/4 turn with tool of choice and the prop and adapter are off. (for those little running repair moments).

Heres some snaps
Click image for larger version

Name:	05102008192.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	80000

Click image for larger version

Name:	06102008193.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	80001

Ok one snap im showing off with the other LOL...