Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Slow-stick battery choice

Old 08-18-2006, 06:52 AM
barrypfi
Barry

Default Slow-stick battery choice

Greetings

I have done a search of the forum but I have not been able to find an answer so forgive me if the matter has been addressed elsewhere.

Which battery pack is better for a GWS Slow-stick a 7 cell NiMh AAA or AA of similar capacity?

I know that ultimately LiPo is the best but as a newbie I know that there are going to be a few unplanned landings and I am looking for a pack that can take a few knocks and will be utilizable in other speed 400 size planes.

Any thoughts?
Regards
Barry
Old 08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Barry, bigger is better so the AA will give you more time all other things being equal. Think of those packs as fuel tanks, even though they have the same amps and volts, the larger batteries have a larger capacity.

Lipos have a worse reputation then they deserve. I've had some devastating crashes with lipos and they survived just fine. There is a real boost in performance with lipo so you might want to consider them as well.

Last edited by Solid Hit; 08-18-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
barrypfi
Barry

Thanks SH. The other factor is that I can get 3 NiMh packs for the price of a LiPo. As a beginner duration is not the ultimate prize, getting into the air is! I was thinking that I could have one pack coolong off, one in the air and one on charge. I have a Swallow Advance charger which can handle all types of batteries so it comes down to the safety/cost factor.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

As long as the NiMH packs are working for you then you'll be fine. The lipo is more costly but you will also see a good difference in performance and time in the air. That is just something to keep in mind when you are ready.

Good luck and safe flying.