What a Awesome Landing - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

What a Awesome Landing

Old 11-02-2011, 02:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thumbs up What a Awesome Landing

This Pilot saves the day, he is also a Glider pilot

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

A Boeing 767 from Newark, New Jersey with 230 passengers onboard made an emergency landing in Warsaw after its landing gear failed to open. The plane landed on its belly without its wheels. None of the passengers was injured. The pilots circled above the airport for about an hour before crash landing after they discovered a problem with landing gear. A fire brigade laid out special material with fire-fighting substances for the plane to land on. Passengers rushed out of the plane.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwtmqJEI-Q[/media]

Last edited by CHELLIE; 11-02-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB0pxPIkzzU[/media]
Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fNptEyUUKk&feature=related[/media]
Old 11-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

Yeah, that touchdown was smoother then most that have the wheels down. Great piloting.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:05 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Wow, smooth landing there! As an A&P and having a history working on airliners, I have to wonder how it's possible all 3 gear failed to deploy, and that there was such a failure that they couldn't use emergency gear extension. Maybe they chose to leave the remaining gear up for some reason? I never worked on 767s. As far as Boeings it was the older stuff, 727 and 747. I'll have to search the news on this one.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:09 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Hmm, I found a description of the 767 gear operation here: http://www.smartcockpit.com/data/pdf...nding_Gear.pdf

The alternate gear extension uses electric motors to release the up locks and the gear free-fall down. Wonder why they didn't do that? Guess I'll have to wait for the investigation...
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Hmm, I found a description of the 767 gear operation here: http://www.smartcockpit.com/data/pdf...nding_Gear.pdf

The alternate gear extension uses electric motors to release the up locks and the gear free-fall down. Wonder why they didn't do that? Guess I'll have to wait for the investigation...
it seems there was problem with the hydrolics, they maybe could have gotten the gear down, but maybe they would not have the hydrolics to apply the brakes, they have a secondary hyd system for the brakes, but if both failed in some way, then they had to make a belly landing.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

It is odd they didn't manually extend the gear. They "free fall" in case of hydraulic failure and my buddy who works for an airline that operates 767's was baffled. He also told me the locks normally engage with the speed of the drop but that electric motors can back up the locks if needed.

They had no breaking for it without the gear either so that is not a great reason. And now that airplane and engines are scrap metal.

Strange indeed.....
Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

From what I read, the gear ext/ret works on the 'central' hyd system, the brakes have normal and emergency systems, one on that 'central' system, and the other works off another hyd system, so both would have had to fail. I suppose it's a possibility, however remote. Then you have to wonder, is there a third system left for the flight controls. I hate these things. I can go around and around.... Like I said, I think we'll just have to wait for the investigation.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

You are FAR better to land with no brakes that wheels up. The reverse thrust is quite powerful.

At any rate - you are right it will be interesting to see what the issue was.