Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

RCM ShowBoat

Old 07-02-2017, 02:07 PM
TTF
PHD in Crashology!

Default RCM ShowBoat

First of all Hi, Im new on this forumn and I need some electric motor advise.

I am looking at building a Ken Willard Showboat. The plan has brushed motor with NiCd batteries that obviosly I want to update to newer elctronics. The plan calls for:

Motor: .035 motor (035 Astro Cobalt (05 Cobolt) no gear box
Battery 6 cell 800 mA (7 cell 900 mA for 05) NiCd
Weight .035 32oz (05 36oz)
Prop: 7-3
Loading .035 15.8 oz/sq ft (05 17.8 oz/sq ft)
Wing: 46" span, 7" cord with elev, 292 sq ft
Stab: 14" span, 5-5/8" cord
Vert: 4-3/4" height, 8.5" width with rudder

It is an amphibian plane so needs a bit of a punch for take off, but I don't want to make it a rocket, more of a Sunday flyer. The article for the plans stated that the .035 with 800 Ma would take about 30 ft to take off and was recommended. The 05 is really not discussed in the article but is shown as an option.

So the question is what brush-less motor, esc, and battery would work the best? i would need this information to make the proper adjustments prior to build (mounts).
I really appreciate the help, thanks!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Stay Quiet

Hi TTF, welcome to Wattflyer!

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions from members here that are much more knowledgeable than myself regarding the subject, so I'll just make a suggestion.

Go to the guys at Heads Up RC (http://www.headsuphobby.com/). Just click on the "Contact Us" link and copy and paste your post to them. They have always been very helpful to me as far as motor, battery, ESC, and prop combos for my models, many of which are built from plans originally drawn with glow engines, or brushed motors in mind. I think you'll like their prices and policies, too!

When you start building, please keep us up to date on your progress in the Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft forum section.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:57 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I just ran the numbers through eCalc and the attached is what came out ... there are far more variations of course ... but the main factor is that prop size and keeping the battery pack small ... but the good thing is using a LiPo gives you more for same weight.

Basically eCalc shows :

3S 1200 LiPo
2308 size 1400kv motor
30A ESC
7x4 APC prop

Its not a hot-rod but should fly reasonably.

... see attached ....

Nigel

PS - eCalc is worth the dollar or so to register ....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ecalc.pdf (1.34 MB, 26 views)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 AM
TTF
PHD in Crashology!

Brner, I got your message but I am not able to reply to PM
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 AM
TTF
PHD in Crashology!

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I just ran the numbers through eCalc and the attached is what came out ... there are far more variations of course ... but the main factor is that prop size and keeping the battery pack small ... but the good thing is using a LiPo gives you more for same weight.

Basically eCalc shows :

3S 1200 LiPo
2308 size 1400kv motor
30A ESC
7x4 APC prop

Its not a hot-rod but should fly reasonably.

... see attached ....

Nigel

PS - eCalc is worth the dollar or so to register ....
I went to the site and spent the $2, weel worth it! Got a cool setup using 3s 2200. If i could attach it I would to see what you guys think.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:13 AM
TTF
PHD in Crashology!

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Hi TTF, welcome to Wattflyer!

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions from members here that are much more knowledgeable than myself regarding the subject, so I'll just make a suggestion.

Go to the guys at Heads Up RC (http://www.headsuphobby.com/). Just click on the "Contact Us" link and copy and paste your post to them. They have always been very helpful to me as far as motor, battery, ESC, and prop combos for my models, many of which are built from plans originally drawn with glow engines, or brushed motors in mind. I think you'll like their prices and policies, too!

When you start building, please keep us up to date on your progress in the Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft forum section.
I sent them a message and used ECalc that Nigel had recommended, and looked up what they carry. Everything but the motor is in stock but Im on a waiting list. Thanks for the help!