Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Will this Magpie setup work?

Old 10-23-2006, 08:56 PM
300Spartans

Default Will this Magpie setup work?

I just ordered the Magpie kit. I have the esskay 400xt outrunner and two 8 cell IB1200 nimh packs. will this motor and these battery packs work?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:09 PM
xray328
Tear it up n' get a bunch

The motor is fine. That pack is a little bit heavy given that's its only putting out 9.6V, but its certainly within the Magpie's range. I use the same motor with an 11.1V 2100 mah lipo. Great choice though, you'll love the Magpie! It kicks the Slow Stick's tail all day long. I'd get a couple extra motor mounts for it. That's the most damage prone area of that plane. They're only $1.50 (I think) and if you break it you won't be able to fly for a week while they ship it to you.

If I were you I'd invest in a 11.1 Lipo pack for it. That way you can put the pack on top of the nose and avoid cutting a giant hole in the fuselage, which will become an even bigger hole, especially when it combines with the motor mount area after a couple nose ins. Which will then require you to cut the nose of the plane off, then try to fab a motor mount, which will throw off the CG requiring you to cut another hole in the fuselage. Not that I'd know or anything. :o

An 11.1V 2100 mah lipo pack is $32 and GWS makes a $10 charger for it. Trust me, its money well spent.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 PM
300Spartans

I am kind of scared of lipos haha. I am just starting out. Though the idea of not having to cut a hole in the fuselage sounds good. If I were to go the lipo route you suggest can you point me to where I can get this battery pack you speak of and GWS $10 charger? I already have a MKII.

Right now I have some things in my towerhobbies cart. I am just waiting to see whats on tomorrows crash sale before I order. Perhaps I can look around there for that battery and charger.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 AM
xray328

Please don't be afraid of lipos. It like anything else, just respect them. Charge and store them in a fireproof container and you'll be fine. I bought a $5 ammo box at the local gun shop. Most of the problems people report with lipos are because they aren't paying attention or do something just plain stupid. Its alot like a spinning prop, you just have to be careful and not stick your finger in there. Some of the bigger mistakes are people reversing the polarity or crashing thier planes then tossing the parts (including the lipo) in the back of thier $50K truck. Both will usually result in big fires.

Just charge them away from anything you wouldn't want burned and store them in a fireproof container when not in use. Its just that simple. I usually charge them in the middle of the garage floor in the ammo box.

This ammo box would work great...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-surplus...QQcmdZViewItem

Here a link to the packs...

http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/ready_pack/ready_packs.htm

Scroll down to the 2100 mah 11.1V 3S1P pack 10C for $32

He's a member of our club and stands behind his packs. Awesome packs!

And the charger for $8.45 ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/GWS-Lithium-Poly...QQcmdZViewItem

Caution: That charger will only charge an 11.1V aka 3S1P pack. Bad things will happen if used for any other pack (ie; a 2S1P aka 7.4V)

DO NOT ORDER THESE ITEMS FROM TOWER - YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF!

If this is the charger you already have it will charge the lipo pack just fine and you do not need another charger...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	02_1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	18432  
Old 10-25-2006, 03:36 AM
300Spartans

yeah that is the charger i have. im going to order that battery.

now another question. ill start it with "Damn It!", i guess i made a couple noobie mistakes. i glued the fin on but did not check the angle. it is not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the horizontal stab (is that what its called? the piece you tape the elevators to).

its off by 3 or 4 degrees. Damn it! again. what can i do? also after taping the fuse i noticed the end of it angles slightly to the right maybe 2 degrees. it was straight before i began taping it. oh well.

what do you think i should do? i want to maiden this weekend. hopefully that battery will arrive by saturday if i order tonight.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:29 AM
xray328

Well, its a very forgiving plane. Besides, thats what trim is for!

But seriously, unless you're really far off, I'm sure it will fly fine. If the motor is angled you can shim it a bit. Its usually recommended that you have 2 degrees of right built in to the motor mount to counter the effect of the prop though, so you may have done a good thing after all.

Do you have Deans ultra connectors for the battery/esc? If not, be sure to get some.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKX39&P=ML

What ESC/Receiver/Servos are you running?

Are you any good at soldering? You'll need to have basic soldering skills for some of the connections such as the Deans plugs.

Where in the country are you? Dan (from truerc.com) is up near Chicago.