Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

CC Phoenix HV-110 settings

Old 01-02-2006, 03:56 PM
d_wheel

Default CC Phoenix HV-110 settings

I would like to compare settings on the CC Phoenix high voltage controller with other users. It is being used with an AXI 5330-18. After an hour or so of trying different settings, I am still not 100% satisfied. All seems well up to about 95% throttle. From there up, the current continues to go up, but the motor actually slows down just a bit. Here’s what I have now:

Auto Lipo
Hard Cut Off
Brake Delay - Off
Throttle Type - Auto Cal
Soft Start – Fast
Direction – Forward
Brake Strength – Disabled
Brake Ramp – Super Slow
Motor Timing – Low Advance
Current Limiting – Normal
PWM Rate – 13 KHZ

With the settings at factory defaults current would jump up quickly at 80% throttle, and then the controller would shut off when advancing to 100%. At the same point, the motor would start making a strange squealing noise. This is with 2 different motors, so it seems that the problem must be with the controller . Changing Motor Timing to low advance almost cured this problem, but not quite. It seems as though the timing is still off just a bit at wide open throttle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 AM
Milton

From what I have been told all out runners like high timing, I am running a 5330-18 with a 85HV and have the timing set to high.
Milton
Old 01-03-2006, 05:18 AM
d_wheel

I started out with high timing, and the motor would not run above 70% throttle. It started making the strange whining sound at around 60% and would shut down at 70%. I know the motor is not the trouble because I have 10 flights on a Jeti controller with not problems at all.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Milton

Got me, Drop Castle a Email.
milton
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Are you running the latest firmware version? If so maybe try a earlier version. Just maybe something to try.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
d_wheel

I guess it's worth a try Rugar. Where can I find an earlier version?

D.W.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Dw, My P-110's are setup up exactly like yours with the exception that I have soft cut-off and not hard. I would update the firmware as Gerald suggested. But for that you need a Pheonix Link the castle link software from www.castlecreations.com.

You use the Pheonix link to hook between your computer and the ESC and it will update the firmware if necessary. It also allows you to change settings on the fly.

-Mike
Old 01-05-2006, 07:32 PM
d_wheel

Thanks Mike,

I have Castle Link with ver 2.12 software. I believe Rugar was suggesting that I might try an older version. The only thing Castel has advised me is to send it in. I have been a long time user of CC controllers and will probably continue to use them in the future. However, this 110hv has given me nothing but trouble. When new, it worked fine on 5 cells, but would not work at all on 10. After sending it in, I thought everything was fine until I opened the throttle to 100% at the flying field and started having the trouble described above.

My experience so far with HV controllers is that Jeti seems to have all of the bugs worked out, while CC still seems to have a few. I hope they get them worked out soon.

Also, I like the layout of the Jeti 90 amp better. It is very simple to cut a hole in the bottom of the cowl which the heat sink fits through. The controller stays very cool when hanging out in the breeze this way.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
I guess it's worth a try Rugar. Where can I find an earlier version?

D.W.
I don't have any of the Phx HV ESC's so I'm not sure how many versions of firmware there are for it. With the latest software installed for the Phx link you should have a list of firmware versions available to install. I know on my older Phx ESC's I have more choices of which firmware versions I can install then I have on the newer ESC's
Old 01-06-2006, 02:00 PM
d_wheel

Mike,

Are you running outrunners with your P-110 controllers?

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

DW,
Yep, Two as a matter of fact I replaced two Jeti 77's for the HV-110's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cyclone2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	5577   Click image for larger version