Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Para Stick or Stick-a-Sol?...Modular Slow Stick

Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Benson1
Trout Bum

Build Review Para Stick or Stick-a-Sol?...Modular Slow Stick

I have been having a great time modifying and playing with slow sticks. I was going to make a slow stick biplane but got a little lazy and decided on a slow stick parasol because, not only is it easier to make and lighter, but I have not seen any yet. The build is quite simple and is sturdy enough. I have made one fuselage to accept three different kind of wings , Stock undercamber, wing with flat bottom and ailerons, and the parasol. It also accepts three different tail sections. The reason for different tail feathers was to experiment with different fuselage lengths. This was suggested by Steve Cooper, (thanks Steve) who taughted the 21 inch fuselage, so I have a stock 31 inch, a 24 and a 21. I like the plane best with a 24 and Doug Montgomery's tail design and a flat bottom wing with ailerons, but all are enjoyable to fly. I am waiting for my lipos to arrive and also am trying to sharpen my flying skills since I have been away from the hobby for 35 years. I was never that great at flying because I quit the hobby when I bought a business years ago. Now that I am retired I will have more time.
I am very familiar with bamboo since I make custom bamboo fly rods. It is very strong and relatively light and I use it for wing reinforcement , landing gear beef up and most recently, for the cabines on my parasol wing. I use 1/8 plywood bolted to the fuselage and glued into the wing as pictured below. The cabines are glued into drilled holes in that plywood. The struts are screwed into the ply and then go forward into the leading edge of the wing to prevent side to side wing movement. Remember when you use bamboo (skewers) to heat treat them. This is the key to strenghten the stuff as is done in fly rod building. It can simply be done by placing a few skewers in a preheated household oven at 350 for about 7 minutes. You will notice that the bamboo turns a golden brown and is much stiffer.
I would like to thank Dan at foamfly.com for his wing jig idea. I have made several wings for my slow stick and have made others for friends. Once bluecor foam is placed into the jig and popped into the oven at 205 for 20 minutes the wings come out beautifully. The two sections are glued together and wrapped with Scotch Extreme packing tape.Since the jig is 20 inches to fit most home ovens, My wings take two sections. I modified his jig because I wanted the ribs to show protruding up a bit on the top of the wing. A picture below shows my mod. This modification provides more realism in older style airplane wings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000323.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	68240   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000321.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	621.8 KB
ID:	68241   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000320.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	68242   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000312.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	68243  
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM
DaxFX

I think you need to take a look on this !
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845283

slow stick with - bi-wing, triple motor, bi-tail, ducted fan, hovers, etc...... you name it they have it !!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Benson1
Trout Bum

Yes, i have seen that and much more... I really like old stuff and when it comes to planes, slow fliers. Probably my age or love for nostaglia. I got hooked on bamboo fly rods a few years back after fishing graphite since 1972, but I just love the looks and action of bamboo. I am now one of the premier builders of bamboo rods in the US.
One of my favorite old planes is the peitenpol. Simple,light and cheap. Most recently I have built this one. People still build the full size ones as seen in the attached videos. I must try one in an ultra light so I don't need to get a license.

Check these
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SO9Kt9_1BLA&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RloH3-svqqo&NR=1[/media]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000314.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	69924  
Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 AM
srdougm

Benson1,
Thanks for the tips on bamboo. I have been using bamboo instead of c/f on occasion but have not been able to figure out how to straighten the long sticks you get out of blinds. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Benson1
Trout Bum

Howdy,
I have not used blind bamboo because I have so much left over from my fly rods, but just cut a piece to the length you want. If it is too wide and you have a band saw use that to narrow it. You could also put a finishing nail in a board, start a split in the bamboo and the gently tap on the strip while guiding it down the nail. As far as straightening is concerned, hold the strip about two or three inches over a range top burner turned to high. Work the strip by rocking and moving it back and forth until the bended area is pretty hot and you will see that it becomes flexable. Just bend it opposite of the bend you want to get rid of and keep pressure on it until cool or bring it over to the water faucet and cool it that way. With a little practice you won't burn the bamboo like lousey marshmellow toasting. If you burn it some no big deal, just sand it off.

Scott

handling nodes...use a bastard file to get rid of the bump and then sand them smooth. If you really want to get fancy, heat the node over a burner and then press in a vise before filing and sanding

Last edited by Benson1; 06-23-2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: missed a step
Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Benson1
Trout Bum

Also regarding bamboo... I ordered a slow stick extreme wing from Montgomeryliteflyers.com. Doug is great!...I liked the fact that he uses rectangular cf that is the same dimension as the Depron leading and trailing edge. I will make a wooden form on the table saw of the dimension I want (Channel) and then plane the bamboo strip to that dimension and then heat treat. If you do it watch out...use a clamp because bamboo can cut the dickens out of you if it slips. I know the hard way.
Scott