E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Blade 400 PnP on DX6

Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Chickenhawk

Default Blade 400 PnP on DX6

Because of the many postings in here, and the challenge of trying out the Blade 400 model in Phoenix, I am pulling the trigger on a new Blade 400. I already have a Spektrum DX6 and will be upgrading to a DX7 in a year, so the DX6i will not be useful to me. I ordered the "plug-and-play" version of the 400 that comes with everything the RTF version does, except battery, charger, transmitter and receiver.

I am going to pull off a receiver from my Maxir that never flew right and run it with my DX6. I will let everyone know how it goes once I get my heli and get it up in the air.

The DX6 and DX6i programming are a bit different and I would appreciate any advice I can get from people who know both transmitters. I have a good idea of how to start setting up the heli; first mechanically, then the servos at mid-point with the arms at 90 degrees, then using throttle and pitch curves. The DX6 and DX6i should be pretty much identical in these regards, so I am at least using the factory default DX6i settings as a start point.

My question relates to the gyro. The DX6 does not have a gyro gain setting, but it is simple to use the GER channel for the gyro, and adjust gain by using end-point adjustments. On my Mini-Titan, I use the elevator d/r switch for gyro gain, with "1" position giving me rate hold for initial hover tests and "0" position giving me heading hold for majority of my flying. The DX6 GER channel has 0 to +150% at the 0 position and 0 to -150% at the 1 position. I am assuming 65% of 150 is about 97%, so that is what I am going to try.

Has anyone tried the Blade 400 on a DX6 yet?

Last edited by Chickenhawk; 08-16-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:12 AM
neilg.

off topic. but i wish they made a blade 400 minus the servos also!!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Originally Posted by neilg. View Post
ARF.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by neilg. View Post
Uh, they do.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1401
Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
neilg.

they stole my idea

ty
Old 08-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Chickenhawk

Okay, I just unpacked my Blade 400, installed an AR6000 receiver and completed some initial hover tests. I copied the DX6i settings into my DX6 to use as a starting point and they were very close, but not exactly the same. I only had the reverse one servo and change the pitch from a positive to a negative in the SWASH MIX to get the swash moving the right direction. Here are my initial settings until I complete more hover tests:

- Servos reversed = AIL, ELE and RUD. All others normal.
- Travel Adjustment GER channel (using the elevator d/r switch) switch position 0 = +97%; switch position 1 = -90%.
- Swash mix = CP2 -75%, CP3 -75%, CP6 -85%.

All other settings, pitch and throttle curves are the same as the DX6i factory default settings.

By the way, the servos were set up exactly correct, everything was tight, blade tracking only needed one turn to bring it into alignment and the tail took only one complete turn on the end link to get it to stay straight in rate mode. Pretty impressive.

Once I play more with the tail, I will report any new DX6 settings.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Chickenhawk

Okay, I was WAY off on the gain settings. If I had thought about it more, on the DX6i, gain is adjusted in heading hold mode from 50% (which would translate as 0% gain at the gyro) to 100% (which would translate as 100% gain at the gyro.) The factory default settings are 64% in the radio, which, if my math is correct, should translate to 28% gain at the gyro.

Follow me so far?

To achieve 28% gain at the gyro with the DX6, which uses a 0% to 150% scale in the radio, I need to set it close to 28% of 150.

Okay, even I am confused now ...

Well, the easy answer is to start at a low number and work upwards until the tail begins wagging and then back it off a bit. I, of course, didn't do that. I started at 95% and went down from there. WAY down! (It doesn't fly very well at massively over-gained settings. Trust me on this one.)

What I really needed to do was to find a true gain of 28% at the gyro and find what radio gain amount would give me 28%. Well, 28% of 150 is 42, so this is what I SHOULD have started with.

I finally settled on a gain setting in the DX6 radio of +40% in the TRV ADJ setting of the GER channel. This is with the elevator d/r switch set at "0."

The default setting of the DX6i as 64% in the radio would be WAY too high because it is measured on a scale of 50 to 100, not 0 to 100.

(Incidentally, I did the same in rate mode with the elevator d/r switch set to "1" and although no one is going to fly in rate mode, I found it could take a gain of -80% in the radio.)

I am actually surprised at how little gain is needed with the 110 gyro. (This is only 26% gain in the gyro after all.)

I am actually surprised that, with all the information on various forums on the DX6, on the G90 and G110 gyro and the Blade 400, that I could find nothing on suggested gain settings in the radio for this heli.

There you have it folks: I was way off with my estimation - a good starting point in the DX6 for gain setting in heading hold using the TRV ADJ menu in GER channel is 40%.