Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

please someone explain good balancing

Old 11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
dditch66

Default please someone explain good balancing

I was having a discussion in a thread on another forum about balancing.
I have a Mystery 50W charger as well as some cheap esky chargers for my helis.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15225

This charger has served me well to cycle my NiCd and NiMh packs as well as field charge Rx batteries in my Nitro planes when needed and fast field charge my 3S 2100mAh batteries. Been happy w/ it.

I"m looking at the fma cellpro 10S because my Mystery charger is only 50W which is no good for field charging a 6S 5000mAh pack at 1C.

I was told that the balancing my chargers do is to charge the entire pack of cells at once but to then "shunt" or "disconect" any cell that has already reached 4.20V (with a zenor diode type circuit across the cell to redirect the current going through the pack). The Mystery charger shows the individual cell voltage + the mAh put back into the pack (probably adds in the mAh dissapated by the zenor circtuit as well so the value might be a bit higher than what was really put in). I measure the cell voltage once and a while at the end and it's always 4.20V +/- .01V accurate.
My 3S packs I'll measure the cell voltage at the end of a flight to look for a damaged pack and they are usually within .05V of each other.

Now, I was also told that a cellpro 10S does not do it that way that it does it a different way but I could not get a good explanation. Nor could I get a good explanation of if my charger in the end result was really balancing the pack. I was also told that the mystery charger how it charges would affect the life of the battery and a better charger would make it last longer.
Now, I'm right now looking to just buy the 10S but I really want to have this explained to me till I understand it. I'm an electrical Engineer so make it simple for me

Questions:
So what I want to know is how the Cell pro does the charging differently than the Mystery charger (if it does).

If the Cell pro does charge it differently, then I also want to know, how that affects the life of the battery.

thx in advanced
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Take a look at this charger, I just bought one for a buddy who needs to charge 6cell packs at 5amps, this charger will handle up to 6cells at 7amps and will do up to 8cell packs...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

It is mor or less the upgrade of your old charger...

also I don't know if you have one of these for your old charger, but you can use it on this new one or your old one... you plug it in for charging 2 (3cell) packs at the same time...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ead_(2_x_3S)6S_

SK
Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 AM
jcg1112

Here is the link to the 10S manual. I've got the 4S and love it and have just bought the 10S. The info is pretty good and should have what you're looking for.

http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1266.pdf