Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

anyone know if my stuff will fit this P-51?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
RyuuChi

Default anyone know if my stuff will fit this P-51?

hi everyone, i've got some servos a motor and an esc lying around and was wondering if anyone knows if they would fit this P-51. the servos are hitec hs-65hb's and its an align 430xl with the 35a esc that came out of an old Trex450. I'm also wondering if i can fit my 2200mah 3s1p lipos in this. here's the link to the plane. thanks in advance to anyone that knows.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/pmurtfelreco.html
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

heli motors are not really acceptable for planes because they tend to be way to high in KV, you would have to get a gearbox to get the rpm down. otherwise everything else is acceptable if not overkill.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RyuuChi View Post
hi everyone, i've got some servos a motor and an esc lying around and was wondering if anyone knows if they would fit this P-51. the servos are hitec hs-65hb's and its an align 430xl with the 35a esc that came out of an old Trex450. I'm also wondering if i can fit my 2200mah 3s1p lipos in this. here's the link to the plane. thanks in advance to anyone that knows.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/pmurtfelreco.html

Unless I am mistaken your Align motor is 3550Kv, so you would need a 3:1 gearbox and a matched prop to keep it reasonable for your 2200mAh LiPo.

I know this because this is what I did on my PZ Spitfire - it was an amp hog but it flew like the dickens.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
RyuuChi

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
heli motors are not really acceptable for planes because they tend to be way to high in KV, you would have to get a gearbox to get the rpm down. otherwise everything else is acceptable if not overkill.

I'm not familiar with programming a dx7 for airplanes, but couldn't i just keep the throttle curve way down?

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Unless I am mistaken your Align motor is 3550Kv, so you would need a 3:1 gearbox and a matched prop to keep it reasonable for your 2200mAh LiPo.

I know this because this is what I did on my PZ Spitfire - it was an amp hog but it flew like the dickens.

what kind of flight times were you getting with a set up like that? did you have the gear box on it?

thanks for the input guys!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RyuuChi View Post
I'm not familiar with programming a dx7 for airplanes, but couldn't i just keep the throttle curve way down?

what kind of flight times were you getting with a set up like that? did you have the gear box on it?

thanks for the input guys!

I did have the gear box, and I flew it with a Thunder Power 3S 2070mAh 25c/50c - I got maybe 7 minutes out of it.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

To start with, RyuuChi, that P-51 is a Guanli (mainland) ripoff of the horrible GWS (Taiwan) model. It isn't even close to scale and flies horribly. I know, since I got one of these pigs from Nitro Planes and put my own electronics in it.

You will need a motor with a much lower KV rating than something from a heli. Take a look at the power systems section of the forum. Better yet, go to RCPowers.com and buy Dave's power systems e-book, where he goes into great detail about matching KV, batteries, props, and aircraft weight.

Servos are servos, so nearly anything can be made to work in that plane. I used the same servos for my HK-450 as for my P-51. (Not the tail, of course.)

Set the radio up with about 50% travel for the low rate. Put about 30% or so exponential on the high rate for the ailerons and rudder. You'll have to tune the elevator expo to taste, but I don't use any on mine.

This plane flies horribly in the wind. Any breeze over a walking pace and the plane flips this way and that. More power is better, but no amount of power will turn this turd into a good plane. If you manage to get that thing up there be sure to let us know, eh?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM
RyuuChi

well, i have to say that i'm less than inclined to try after that shining endorsement, lol. any suggestions for a better P-51 that won't break the bank and i can use my electronics on? i'd like to stick with the 3s1p 2200mah lipos that i allready have as well.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

By the way, here's the GWS version of this plane:

http://www.gws.com.tw/English/product/airfly/p51.htm

Horizon sells a "frame only" kit that you can use to build up something better:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1570

Unfortunately, most P-51 models out there are ARFs or RTFs. The kits are mostly balsa and covering. Up to you, man.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 AM
RyuuChi

that horizon kit looks good, but would it be easy to add a rudder control to it?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

I don't know about a rudder, RyuuChi. That particular molding doesn't look like it would be easy to modify. See how the horizontal stab mount cuts into the area of the scale rudder control surface? That would be kinda a pain to make work right. You could cut the rudder surface behind that line, but it would be ugly and awkward, methinks.

On my Guanli (rip of the GWS) I hardly ever use the rudder. Yeah, it's there, but it doesn't work all that well to begin with, and the ailerons are so relatively effective that I just use the flightstick instead of trying coordinated turns. Plus, it's not aerobatic at all, so I don't even try anything fancy.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389720
Check this out, they fly great. I have built and flown 2 of them and still have them.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

The profile Mustangs look pretty good, but the object was to have a scale bird. The GWS and clones are full fuselage, but aren't really to scale.

I broke my P-51D in half trying to catch it a week or so ago. That's okay, because now I have an excuse to cut it up and make it more scale. The fuse needs another 2cm between the back of the canopy and the root of the tail to be accurate. Now my fabrications skills get a real workout.