ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Parkzone P51 OR Parkzone STRYKER

Old 08-17-2005, 10:18 PM
1LO64

Default Parkzone P51 OR Parkzone STRYKER

I'll be upgrading from the Cub and can't decide on the two. I like a nice stable plane that can turn edges and has decent power.

Anybody like to comment??
Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Matt

The P-51 is fairly new and I haven't got a chance to fly her. I have seen a stock stryker fly and own a custom Stryker with a brushless/Li-po setup. The P-51 should be a little more stable and similar to your Cub. The Stryker will offer a lot more "wow" factor. However, you can slow the stryker way down and she stays very stable. Some speedier planes have to land at Mach one or they stall.
Of course the Stryker is a wing so it is all about cranking the elevons for a turn and then burn in the direction you want to go.
Anybody fly the new P-51 yet. She looks like a beauty for the price.
Matt
Old 08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

The Mustang will need to be a huge step up in your flight abilitites.
Unless you keep speed up, she will tip stall badly. She also has a large list of things that need to be checked /repaired before each flight. Not as cheap to repair as the Stryker. Go with the Stryker. I have the Cub,Slo-V, 2 Mustangs, and numerous Strykers.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
1LO64

Thanks for all of the input, any other opinions on any other planes to consider
Old 08-18-2005, 04:01 PM

I own both planes and simply put, the stryker is easier to fly. It certainly stalls a bit easier but the aerobatic low wing of the 51 is much more prone to "fall out of the sky" My 2cents, stryker = easier but the scale looks of the 51 are awesome. I have a flying bud that flys the cub like champ and he tried my stryker and noticed that is was much more agile and quite a bit faster. The only thing I do not like about the 51 is the motor pinion that is held on by friction. One good whack on the prop and its spins.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:48 PM
1LO64

I looked at both yesterday at the LHS and the P-51 is nice but so does the Stryker. I'm looking for a stable and a little more aerobatic step up from the Cub
Old 08-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Are you still running stock equipment? Couple of things you can do to the Cub to make her even better. #1 look at a different prop. GWS 9x6 is a good replacement, gives a little more power. Next would be replacing the stock motor with the Venom Fireball motor, a much more powerful and speedier brushed motor. Lastly, you can put in standard electronis, and add a brushless motor. I run a Hacker 49 in mine, with a Kokam 3s1500 lipo pack, spin a Megatech 8.5x8 prop. It will run with a stock Stryker speed wise, and has enough power to go vertical. And if you really want to do stuff with the Cub add alierons to it.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:59 AM
1LO64

Well, I just installed the fireball and 9x6 APC prop. Batteries are charging right now so I'll let you know the results once I get a non-windy day

Update.....I just got back from the field and it definately has more power. I was able to do multiple loops with no problems. I would imagine my next upgrade will be a better battery pack for longer flights......any suggestions??

Last edited by 1LO64; 08-28-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
uslimey

Hang tight a second....

I have the P51 amd I have been very dissapointed... So far I have lost 3 pinion gears in 8 flights, which has led to 3 pretty hard landings... The plane is now out of commission waiting for a motor witha metal pinion instead of the stock plastic.... Anyway, a couple of things you should Know... P51 and and FW are very similar... A lot of people say the FW fixed many of the P51's issues... But then theres the Spitfire... That's Supposed to be the best flying, plus it is supposed to have better electronics... 3 wire servos, not outdated 5 wire serveros that the p51 and FW have... And finally, in the next few weeks the T28 Trojan will hit the stores... I have been waiting for that one and I believe it will be well worth the wait... It's about $40 more but, it is four channel, has sterable landing gear, uses a 72Mhz radio, has a brushless outrunner motor, and a lipo battery pack... I think it is going to be an awsome plane... Far better than any of the other PZ warbirds!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 AM
sparkvark

Default Stryker vs. P-51

I own both the Stryker and P-51. No question for a step up from the cub go with the Stryker. I think it flys better and it a VERY tough. I have flown mine into the ground several times (showing off in low passes), into a tree (showing off), into a fence pole on landing (thought I was over the fence), and quite a few other stupid things. I have about 200 flights on it and have yet to break anything that cannot be fixed with foam safe CA, some epoxy and packing tape. It is starting to look a bit war weary but it just keeps on flying. BTW, I would recommed the stock, brushed setup. It is not as fast but compared wit the Cub, it will be a rocket. The P-51 looks great in the air but requires a good amount of skill not to get in trouble. It you do prang it, you will likley have to buy replacement parts.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

If you want a warbird, go with the new Spitfire rather than the P-51. Reviews say the Spit is a much easier plane to fly.

Larry
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 AM
rjussa
I'm Hooked

Thumbs up Super Cub to Stryker

I don't have any knowledge of flying the P-51.... but I can tell you I've only flown my Super Cub about 7 times so far (and I've never flown anything else in my life but the simulator before that)... and then just yesterday I got an offer by one of the guys at our field to go on the Buddy Box and fly his stock Stryker. I didn't launch or land it, but I can tell you I was more than able to fly it with confidence and I felt like I had just graduated from doing the baby crawl to being a champion olympic sprinter when I realized how much more juice I had in the throttle. The acrobatics were simply astounding and I was amazed how easy it was to loop it, and pull tight turns like it was on the rails of a roller coaster. The plane has a really nice "weight" to it on the sticks, and I felt like I could fly it gently or on the edge at any moment just by working the throttle.

Anyways... I can see myself graduating to a second bird soon enough, and I'm seriously thinking it might be a Stryker now even though my desire is to fly the old WWII birds more than anything. Eventually I'd like to have a P-51 and Spitfire in my stable amongst probably a dozen other things... I can say first hand though that the Stryker would make for an excellent second bird after a Super Cub based on how it felt in my hands yesterday.

Fortunately cash flow is dictating I don't rush out and buy one right now, which is probably for the best... I mean 7 flights is really nothing so far, so I better give myself more time on the Super Cub and then I'll be a little more prepared to step up the pace of plane I fly.

Rob J
Old 08-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Chippie

i've got to agree with this.. I was told to start with the mustang a while back.. i was told i just needed some good speed to get it in the air (..what the hell?!)
But okay..full power, had lots of altitude to build up extra speed and my dad throwing with his complete bodyweigh and that little thing tip-stalled like crazy into the ground. After several attemps i gave up and it was just sitting in parts (and those parkzone parts weren't cheap either)
So i really got some bad experience with parkzone..but if you really got some experience and know-how i but you can do it much better than me!
Good luck!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
spitfire
Not the best

P-51 thats good
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
rjussa
I'm Hooked

Default P-51 Tricky???

This P-51 sounds like its a tricky little bird.... it makes me want to go get one just to see if I can fly it... I think all of us enjoy a good challenge.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Smartymos

Default stryker

I am new to this and looking at getting a Stryker without the rx etc. I have a tx etc from an esky belt cp heli kit. would this work just as well as the stock Stryker radio gear or would i lose out some options?
thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

First of all Welcome to WattFlyer Smarty.

I don't know anything about the particular radio your asking about but you might try posting this question in the Delta Wings section. Lots of good folks that know quite a bit, I'm sure you'll get some good information over there.

Again Welcome to Wattflyer
Old 02-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Smarty, there's a decision you'll have to make regarding whether you're planning on sticking with RC or not. If you are, bite the bullet and get a good TX (computer 72mhz or 2.4 ghz). In addition, with that TX being a heli tx, it's likely to have the spring loaded throttle rather than the ratcheting throttle, which would be a major pain to deal with.
If you're sticking with it, head over to the TX/RX subforum and put up a new thread asking what you should get.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Smartymos

Thanks for ur responses. I have yesterday ordered a f27B as I though i can always upgrade it but should be good to start with. I have a 3s lipo fom my heli that i can apparently use for longer and speedier flights (with a different connector).
My heli TX is a rachet style, thank goodness, but thats if i do decided to use it. What i certainly would need to figure out if i put that 72mhz gear in, is how to configure it for a flying wing, as i believe the elevator and rudder controls mix. i.e. a little up elevator when banking. Is this correct.

Also, what about using the gyro from my heli?? I have heard reports of this being done. How would I set that up?

Thank you all again. Just waiting for the mail man now.....
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Because you need v-tail or delta mixing (they have the same effect), get a manual v-tail mixer such as this one. Your LHS is almost sure to have one as well.
Don't bother with the gyro.
Before you maiden it, make sure that you've range checked it to at least 150 yards. If the heli TX doesn't work that far out, you're out of luck. With the decent speed that the Stryker is able to accomplish, you'll get out of range (which of course terminates in an unplanned landing) if you don't have the full range needed.
Finally, don't use the lipo right off the bat. Stick with the stock nicd. If this is your first foray into airplanes, you definitely don't need that extra speed. In addition, the lipo's more likely to kaboom in a crash.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

The p-51 was the first in the PZ warbird series. The Spit is the third one. If you're wanting a warbird I would go with the spit rather than the P-51. I had the FW-190 and it flew great...even though I forgot to put the additional prop nut on her I haven't flown the Stryker, but I've heard they're really fast. Good luck to you.

Mike
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Smartymos

Hi all. Thanks again.

Well my baby arrived today and the weather is set to be wind n rain for the rest of the year. (not that I was gonna fly today).
Just been checking it out and giving it the once over. I must admit the finish quality is poor(when you think you pay 130 for a piece of foam and loose stickers) but I know this thing will perform as long as i treat her right.
I got some (don't know the name) black/yello and red/white gaffer tape to bolster it up with and make it more visible. should stick better than the crappy stickers and let me see it better while i figure her out.
I'm guessing the bit of extra weight won't be a prob(one day i wanna put one of those 5-1 edvr cams on it and film me crashing into the back of my head)

I guessit is best to leave the nose lose to take the impact of my inevitable(but not too often) crashes. Better the cheap foam than the elecs/rx right? these elecs do seem a little cheap actually so may change one day. cheers for the info on the mixer by the way
One thing that did amaze me was how little the elevons move on low rate. hope it is sufficient. will be leaving the lipo for a while but i'm more interested in the additional flight time i would get out of it rather than speed and will have to change the connection or get an adapter.Shame the 27c motor mount don't fit this cos from looking at pics the smaller one on the 27b seems to rip the foam more easily with less surface area to dissipate the shock.
Well i'm gonna golook at here again now and pray wor calm this w/end. i'll let u know of any developments.

Thanks again for the responses etc.

Martin
Old 02-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Smartymos

Smile Stryker 27b pics

Here are some snaps of the pre-flight visual modifications I have applied to my new bird

Stick a dam sight better than those transfers too. Am considering covering it in the stuff.

What dya think?

Martin

Hopefully this will help distinguish it in the sky and it will look like this after
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00790 (Medium).JPG
Views:	228
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	57868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00791 (Medium).JPG
Views:	250
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	57869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00792 (Medium).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	57870   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00793 (Medium).JPG
Views:	227
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	57871  
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
parkzone

Default p-51

Originally Posted by 1LO64 View Post
I'll be upgrading from the Cub and can't decide on the two. I like a nice stable plane that can turn edges and has decent power.

Anybody like to comment??
get the p-51 if your looking for a challenge i have got one myself and here is a little tip for you when you launch her just throw it dont put any elevator on other wise it will tip stall. i was in the same postision.once you go the hang of it you can try areobatics.there is a other option.the parkzone fw-190 its a litte bit twitchy.i have got a all three of them and the third one is the pz spitfire which is the most easyiest to fly
Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Smartymos

Default 1st Flight

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeWaOvU7hGk[/media]

Quick Reply: Parkzone P51 OR Parkzone STRYKER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.20647 seconds with 17 queries