Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

I actually found a plane I can land

Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 PM
acdii

Default I actually found a plane I can land

on a Sim of course. Been practicing as much as I can before my maiden flight of my T-34, and got bored with the one on the sim, so switched to the Corsair. I have the Realflight 5.5 sim, and used the add-on Corsair. Man that plane is a blast, Very easy to get disoriented in the distance, but found it very easy to land, without flaps. Once I got it lined up, I would cut throttle to about 1/4, let it sink a bit and then chop throttle and let it glide in, and perfect 3 point landings. The first few times though, I dug a trench with the prop, but once I got the trick to it, it just floats in very nicely. Makes me wonder how the actual plane handles on landings.

The T-34 in the sim doesn't have the droops, so my plane should handle a bit smoother than the sim one, its goofy, with flaps down it climbs like crazy, but put the flaps up and it dives, hoping that isn't the case with the actual plane, I know flaps help it climb, but that should be with neutral trim, the sim has this thing setup that I need full up trim with the flaps up just to get it level. It will loop if I lower flaps.

So those who fly both the sim and the actual planes, how close are they?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
tenacious101010

I would like to suggest one thing that might be helpful before first flight.
Figure out which way the wing might be blowing in relation to your proposed takeooff direstion and put some similar or worse wind into your simulator. Might help prepare you even more especially with a lighter plane.
Denny
Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
tenacious101010

Oh, and actually the planes I have flown on the sim and at the field are close, but there are differences, an idea might be to plan on keeping the takeoff run on the runway a bit longer to build up a bit more speed and when landing, try landing just a bit faster too.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

On most models flaps have a big effect on the models trim. You would trim the model for normal 'flaps-up' flight so it would fly straight 'hands-off'. back in the day you then would have to manually compensate with elevator when you lowered the flaps to stop the plane pitching up.. these days with a decent Tx you can mix in some elevator with flap to prevent it, or at least minimise it.

To be honest for most small to medium size models flaps are not really required or even desirable. You are almost certainly better off flying without them initially, it's just one more thing to distract you and if this is your first model you will have enough to think about without worrying about flaps.

Steve
Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Yes, sims don't simulate stalls! So when you do maiden the real bird, get it way up high and chop the throttle and see how it behaves. Better to learn with some altitude.

I found you can't really depend on the sims to accurately perfom as the real models do. There are way too many variables. How good did the person who programmed it do? How is your model set up? is your CG same as the sim? Are your control throws the same, etc., etc., ..... Then there's the loss of peripheral vision and depth perception in the sim, which makes it harder than the real thing. Real RC flying has added pucker factor, which is missing in the sim!

I have RealFlight3.5, and downloaded someone's add-on PZ Corsair. I found it had little in common with how my real PZ Corsair flies.

My best landings are when I keep some power on and fly it down to the runway. I get lots of greasers and oohs and aahs from observers! When I try to chop the power is when I usually tip stall and scrape and break things.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

What have you actually flown and mastered before attempting the T34. (balsa is not very forgiving for early flights)

Clint

Ps: I have a T34 that I have not yet maidened.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:38 PM
acdii

I have the Eflite PTS T-34 Mentor which is designed to start you off using flaps and then progress to fly without them or the NACA droops. One of the guys at my LHS flys this one and recommended it as one of the best beginner planes for 4 channels, and other reviews pretty much back him up. With the droops and flaps, tip stall doesn't occur, and it is very hard to stall the plane too, and it can come in very slow for landings, which the sim doesn't do since I haven't found the same plane to load, with droops. I'm going to be patient with this one and wait until I can round up my friend and buddy with him for the first flight or too until I can take off and land it.

Oh and 100% dead on the perspective on the sim, it makes it very hard to land when you cant see where you are going to land while viewing the plane, I think I have it lined up and I am off to the far side of it, only once did I actually get it on the runway. It seems that where you think it would be in RL, on the sim it is much far further to the left or right of you, but I think if you can fly it OK in the sim, flying it in RL should be a bit easier. I just need to remember to get some sky before attempting some of the things I did on the sim, because I just know the plane would NOT do what it does in the sim in some situations and would become kindling.

Right now I fly a UM T-28 in my pastures, and other than taking it off from the ground, which cant be done where I am unless I use the highway, I have pretty good control of it and my landings are pretty soft, as long as a horse fly isn't biting me. I was performing a loop and finishing off with a roll when that dang fly bit me and my reaction was to slap it, which caused me to lose the plane for a moment and couldn't recover it in time. SMACK nose first into the ground. Oh well, a few pieces of packing tape later and it was flying again. Problem with that one is anything over 10 MPH and you cant fly it, but I am getting good at handling it in the breeze. At one point I got it stuck in the sky, it was just over a tree and the wind was holding it in one spot, if I tried to turn it a wing would drop, so I climbed it up as much as I could then gave a hard roll, full left rudder, full up and snapped it 180 degrees and was able to bring it back around and land it. I called it quits after that, the wind picked up too much for safe flight. It's a fun little plane, but not one that can be flown when you want to, only when the weather cooperates. According to reviews, the UM Corsair handles better in the wind and fly's just as nice as the T-28, so it's on my list.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM
acdii

An update on the UM Corsair, they were SOOO wrong with it being a good flyer. It stinks, don't waste your money on one until they can actually make it so it can climb. It is woefully underpowered. It was so difficult to trim out being under powered that I wound up breaking a wing because I couldn't get any altitude to trim it out, I would pitch up, drop a wing, pitch up, drop a wing until it eventually cartwheeled into the grass, cracking a wing.