General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

72" Lancaster...would appreciate some advice on paint finish

Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM
liposucker

Default 72" Lancaster...would appreciate some advice on paint finish

Hi all

I am just in the process of completing my latest build, an electric 72" Lancaster. My mind is now thinking toward the finish of the model.

The fuselage, stabiliser and fin are all sheeted balsa. The wings/nacelles are also fully sheeted with the exception of a couple of small areas on the underside of the wing, although I could sheet these also.

I would like to paint the model, directly on to the balsa...the underside in matt black using car shop black primer and the upper surfaces the traditional camouflage using those water based tester pots form DIY stores.

Now, the question is how to seal the balsa. I do not want to add any unnecessary weight to the airframe, so I really don't want to have heat shrink film, lightweight fibreglass or even tissue. Any weight savings I can make, even a few grams is going to make for better flying characteristics.

I have heard of a water based resin called Eze-Kote that is normally used to apply lightweight fibreglass cloth. I am considering using this as a sealer without the fibreglass cloth. Maybe 2 coats sanded between coats and wet and dry on the final finish for a smooth effect. Hopefully this would add a little strength to the sheeting and aid in preventing hanger-rash.

Any other sealing suggestions also welcomed,

So, any previous experiences, favourite methods, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:54 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

God old fashioned dope or fuel proofer ...

Give it a coat then a light sand all over to reduce the raised grain you'll get whatever you use.

Beauty of those two - most of the weight evaporates off ... but do it in well ventilated area that is not liable to stink out the house !!

Personally I would have used thin finishing tissue or Silkspan with the dope to give it a real good finish - for next to nothing weight gain.

Nigel
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
liposucker

Hi Nigel

thanks for the reply.

Fuel proofer...not thought of that....been away for IC for a long while so not had any in my workshop, but what a good idea. Will add it to the possibilities list.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Lipo,

As a large scale builder, you've probably been there before. If not, check out liquid sheeting at Wowplanes.com: http://www.wowplanes.com/index.php?c...fb2f2c01454966

Please post pics of your Lanc. I'm sure she's noteworthy.

-Hawk
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Just be careful that any areas of foam or non-wood are protected from the solvents used in Dope and Fuel Proofer.

Nigel
Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM
liposucker

Thanks Nigel and Hawk

The model has no foam, its all balsa and lite ply, but thanks for the warning.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Abuelo

Nigel has you covered here. Might add to use a thinner.

Brushable lacquer (Deft) will also work, and a bit of talcum powder or diatomaceous earth (DE) mixed in as filler might be needed. Both are extremely light and sand nicely.

I'm a fan of lightweight silkspan, which when used wet will cover compound curves. Lately I've been using polyspan which adds strength but being heat shrinkable doesn't do well for stretching. Its also compatible with epoxy and is lighter than 1/2 oz glass cloth.

My 2.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 PM
dgjessing

Clear shellac is a great sealer for wood. Or maybe a (white) shellac primer like BIN. I use that on foam...