General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Got my mojo back, sort of

Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Default Got my mojo back, sort of

It's been a terrible spring for flying so far.
Super windy.
That's never stopped me before but I'm having the worst luck.
I have crashed every single flight so far. All different reasons.
Lost one plane when a wing folded. Lost another when an esc released magic smoke.
Everything else I have is waiting for less windy days to maiden.
Today I said screw it. Wind or wind I just had to get some stick time on a new plane.
Winds today are 20 gusting to 30 so for warmup I started with my trusty axn floater jet. Wouldn't you know it, three minutes in to the flight the prop started sounding funny. I bring her down in one piece and the motor mount has come loose from the pod. No crash, maybe my luck has changed.
Out comes the multiplex dogfighter. I have it setup with the headsup recommended performance combo.
Up she goes. After trimming the best one can in gusty winds I proceed to have a great flight.
High speed passes. Inverted. Knife edges. Everything went perfectly.
Wouldn't you know on final approach the motor stops responding. I ended up with a beautiful dead stick landing.
Pick up the plane and the motor is seized. Here we go again, I thought.
Turns out this time all the blame was mine. The velcro that held the esc in place had let go and the esc had pushed in to the motor. Repositioned the esc and all was good again.
Didn't destroy a plane today. Maybe my mojo is back.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Bald Paul

20 - 30 MPH winds? You're a better man than I am.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

I'm in Canada. That's in km/hr. Still pretty windy.
I don't mind flying in the wind. I'm starting to really enjoy it.
The trick is to have a plane that flies faster than the wind blows. For pattern or 3d flying I do prefer less wind but for general sport flying wind makes no difference.
I have a couple of hobbyeagle gyros but have yet to install them.
I just ordered a Tensho Acro glider. A thrust vectoring hotliner that will hopefully be my go to gale force wind plane.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 PM
maxflyer

Wx patterns here are now unpredictable. Wind has been pretty unrelenting, and has offered very few low-risk mornings. I too have a couple of maidens awaiting better conditions - a Durafly P40 and an E-flight PA20 that I won't risk. Have taken to flying a recent 2nd Fun Cub build as I am less afraid to have to repair it, and it kites and thermals very well, and hovers right down to touchdown with power on if necessary.

Through the last third of our winter up until now almost every flight I have managed in my 370 lb open-cockpit homebuilt has ended prematurely, with me and the plane both taking a good beating, and feeling lucky to be on the ground in one piece. It's a different planet than I remember for the last 30 years.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by maxflyer View Post
Wx patterns here are now unpredictable. Wind has been pretty unrelenting, and has offered very few low-risk mornings. I too have a couple of maidens awaiting better conditions - a Durafly P40 and an E-flight PA20 that I won't risk. Have taken to flying a recent 2nd Fun Cub build as I am less afraid to have to repair it, and it kites and thermals very well, and hovers right down to touchdown with power on if necessary.

Through the last third of our winter up until now almost every flight I have managed in my 370 lb open-cockpit homebuilt has ended prematurely, with me and the plane both taking a good beating, and feeling lucky to be on the ground in one piece. It's a different planet than I remember for the last 30 years.
Weather patterns certainly have changed. It used to be that the windy part of spring would be over with by now.
It doesn't even calm down in the evenings.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:42 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Gimmie a solid flying, fully airfoiled EPP model (Tower Hobbies Hellcat) with a 3 axis stabilizer and I will fly in a hurricane. Actually came pretty close in some thunderstorms. It's actually my go-to for dumping voltage on 3s 2200's when I won't risk the valuable planes
Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I have 16 planes ready to go. I never know which one to grab. I have no favourites as they are all different types modified to suit me.
Probably take the STIK next time as it has my new Spektrum system fitted and flaperons to try out. I have flown it in a small area but can't really open it up.
Then my Twin Raptor, My Pitts Bipes and gliders and Wings. Damn, now I'm confused, I want to take all of them.
Today is the first day without wind for over a week and not a cloud in the sky. Not bad for winter.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:35 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Tomorrow I'll be maidening my fms f3a explorer. I may install the hobbyeagle in it. These f3a pattern birds get really twitchy in high winds.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:27 AM
FoxProGT

Im having windy day issues too. Im confident on flying my sport cub in winds now but not my Waco. Funny thing is our nights have been windless. Would be a good time to have a night flyer. X)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Most of my 8 planes have been laid up since the start of winter last year. A lack of time, family commitments and the terrible weather has kept me off the flying field, but this week I have slowly started to get them out and I am finding a number of issues e.g. loose servo connectors, a burnt out ESC, signal cut outs, tail flutter, strange noises from the motors, servo jittering etc..

Its almost as if the lack of use has led to their decline.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Yeah, I checked a glider over today and found a stripped rudder servo. Must have bumped it somehow as I don't remember doing any hurtful stuff.
Anyway it's all better now...
Old 06-08-2016, 07:05 PM
maxflyer

It gets to a point after waiting for long periods where you realize That, if you are going to get any flight time at all, you are going to have to fly in conditions that offer more risk than you may prefer. I hate to add the weight, but now find myself thinking about stabilizers.

I was able to take my Park Zone Mossy out this AM, and actually found my hands shaking a bit, until I got a few circuits and a couple of landings under my belt, and got some of my chops back - It had been a long time. The Mossy is small and fast, and eats up an entire 100yd soccer field landing with flaps and no wind over a tall fence. It doesn't help to be old and blind in one eye!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Here's one to get your mojo rising !

https://youtu.be/pDlx-ZUj9qs

Hawk
Old 06-09-2016, 12:59 AM
maxflyer

OK...I'll bite. But other than giving me forlorn longings for my drug-addled days in the military during the war, and my lost youth and surfing days in So. Cal and LA in the sixties...I'm not sure what the point of that was.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:31 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Mojo rising is in the verse. First thing that popped up. Must have been a bad acid trip. Anyway, just one of about 5 posts all day from anyone. Lol

Last edited by dahawk; 06-09-2016 at 04:35 AM.