General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

FMS Extra 300 Maiden

Old 07-13-2016, 02:09 PM
rcpilot134

Default FMS Extra 300 Maiden

I didn't find a whole lot of posts on this model so I thought I'd share my experience with it's maiden.

First off - very nice model. Impressed with FMS and this one even came with all the parts :-). Build was easy except for wings. 2 piece and they overlap each other so lining up one of the wing bolts was a challenge. Little bit of a head scratcher when it came to CG - described below.

The manual called for CG at 120mm. I found I would've had to add 1.5 ounces to the tail to get her balanced at this point. Didn't seem right to me so I did a little research and found a post from a guy who had similar issue. Added the weight and it flew horribly. Removed it and flew pretty good. Used an online CG calculator and my numbers had the CG a bit over an inch forward of what the manual stated. At that point, it balanced just a bit nose heavy but livable. I also checked MRC's forum - hobbysquawk and found a post from MRC -Ryan who flew this thing with a 4s Admiral forward in the box and flew fine. If you can't trust Pilot Ryan who can you trust :-). This thing sat for a week while I was going back and forth with this CG issue so I figured I'd just fly this thing and figure it out.

Manual called for below listed DR and Expo
High Rates-Expo Low Rates-Expo
Aileron 100% 65mm up/down 60% 30% 19mm up/down 30%
Elevator 100% 50mm up/down 50% 22% 11mm up/down 25%
Rudder 100% 60mm left/right 50% 60% 36mm left/right 25%

Not trusting the manual after the CG, added 10% throws to Aileron and Elevator - low rates and bumped expo to 40% - left rudder as is. They visually seemed a bit low.

First Flight - AR636 - Low Rates - AS3X off - with Admiral 4S 3000 pack about 1 inch forward off the back of the box. 2-3 mph crosswind. Got a little nervous as I always do on maiden and yanked it off the deck too quick. Wanted to stall but it did have enough motor behind it to power through. Once in the air, it was noticeably nose heavy. Couldn't get it settled in very easily for the first landing, being nose heavy, came it pretty hot. Not the prettiest of landings. Also noted that even at these low rates, pretty responsive and a little mushy. Will dial back DR and expo a bit more toward manuals recommendations also drop rudder a bit as well.

Didn't have laptop with me to reprogram the RX (quick trip to the field before work). The only adjustment on second flight was to push the battery all the way back in the box. Take off was better - kept it on the ground til it was ready. Still a little tail heavy but not bad at all. Landing was better but have to fly it in.

My overall take from these 2 flights. Plenty of power for me. Very responsive. Slow flies OK. I think once I tweak rates and expo, I'll be a little happier with the way it flies.

Note - I'm not a 3D guy - intermediate at best and my plans were to fly this as a sport model with lower rates. Just wanted a model that can do some decent aerobatics and this one seems to fit the bill.

There ya have it - survived another maiden :-)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Good for you ... and don't forget manuals CoG and throws are only their recc'd. We all end up with our own settings to suit us.

Nigel
Old 07-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Vic Z

Sounds like a good outing to me. You will have it dialed in and before you know it you will be tossing it around like a rag doll.
I love/hate that anxious feeling. Let's us know we're alive
Old 07-13-2016, 02:56 PM
rcpilot134

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
Sounds like a good outing to me. You will have it dialed in and before you know it you will be tossing it around like a rag doll.
I love/hate that anxious feeling. Let's us know we're alive
I'm with ya on that brother. I'm so stressed out on maidens. You're right though, I guess that's part of the fun - I think . I just keep telling myself - I can fly this thing.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:58 PM
rcpilot134

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Good for you ... and don't forget manuals CoG and throws are only their recc'd. We all end up with our own settings to suit us.

Nigel
Thanks - I wasn't all that concerned with rates but CG concerned me. Never had one that was this far off. Worked out though -
Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Way to go RC!

Recommend this plane ?

Hawk
Old 07-13-2016, 03:45 PM
rcpilot134

If I can fly it ....anybody can :-). Seriously though, yeah I would. Price is right and it's a great looking solid model. I like FMS stuff, especially when they send all the parts.

Wasn't an "easy" fly but I'm sure once I get it dialed in I'll love it.

Just a note though - Low rates on rudder were left at recommended 60% which I thought were high. Kinda looked like the Tasmanian Devil trying to get airborne on that first takeoff if you can get that visual. Very responsive.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:44 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcpilot134 View Post
If I can fly it ....anybody can :-). Seriously though, yeah I would. Price is right and it's a great looking solid model. I like FMS stuff, especially when they send all the parts.

Wasn't an "easy" fly but I'm sure once I get it dialed in I'll love it.

Just a note though - Low rates on rudder were left at recommended 60% which I thought were high. Kinda looked like the Tasmanian Devil trying to get airborne on that first takeoff if you can get that visual. Very responsive.
Rudder ? EXPO and Dual Rates .....

You need only small movement on rudder when taking off ... so dial it back on D/R and Expo.
Once airborne if you want rudder action - then switch in full rate.

Nigel
Old 07-13-2016, 05:51 PM
rcpilot134

Thanks - Exactly what I'm going to do. Pretty funny watching the first takeoff
Old 07-13-2016, 06:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Expo is really your friend on High Performance jobs ... giving you mild response around centre.
We all have to learn how to be subtle with our left hands !! (Mode 2 of course !)

Nigel
Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Expo is really your friend on High Performance jobs ... giving you mild response around centre.
We all have to learn how to be subtle with our left hands !! (Mode 2 of course !)

Nigel
Me Mode 1 !
I still like the expo on the left stick so I don't nudge rudder and twist out when I am doing loops.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Me Mode 1 !
I still like the expo on the left stick so I don't nudge rudder and twist out when I am doing loops.
I met Prettner many years ago at a Trade Show and I never forgot what he said.

Basically that a Mode 2 pilot would find it hard to beat him because of control interaction.

Its true. The primary controls are split with mode 1 to separate sticks - reducing the effects of interaction ... the slight off line movement of the stick.
We all see it. Mode 2 model on bench and setting up controls. You check elevator movement and you also see ailerons twitching because stick is not moving perfectly straight.

I fly Mode 2 - but I did dabble with Mode 1 for a while. Guy I used to fly with could fly either mode. He said same as Prettner.

Just a little comment - some people seem to think that Modes are geographically placed. Not true. Modes are person specific and usually set because of who taught person to fly or prevalent in club. I know people who ended up Mode 1 because that was only radio over the counter at the time !

Nigel
Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Just a little comment - some people seem to think that Modes are geographically placed. Not true. Modes are person specific and usually set because of who taught person to fly or prevalent in club. I know people who ended up Mode 1 because that was only radio over the counter at the time !

Nigel
I think you will find that there is a general geographical split where the US and UK is predominantly mode 2 and Europe predominantly mode 1 (there are exceptions obviously). The reasons behind this split are probably as you say; a few pioneers started out that way and passed it down the line.

I understand the theoretical arguments for mode 1 and I did try it once about 35 years ago, that flight lasted about ten seconds and ended in total destruction. So I didn't try it again!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I think you will find that there is a general geographical split where the US and UK is predominantly mode 2 and Europe predominantly mode 1 (there are exceptions obviously). The reasons behind this split are probably as you say; a few pioneers started out that way and passed it down the line.

I understand the theoretical arguments for mode 1 and I did try it once about 35 years ago, that flight lasted about ten seconds and ended in total destruction. So I didn't try it again!
The geographical argument has been played for decades ... as long as I can remember.

But I must disagree as having flown with many different nationalities and in many different locations - I found Mode 1 and 2 similarly used wherever I was. There did not seem to be a pattern.

Nigel