Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

A boy and his plane, Mountain Models EVA build

Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Forge

Guys,

Wow! Thanks for all the information. This site is a wellspring of knowledge. I really appreciate you guys sharing the ideas.

Paul, I do like the idea of separate hinges and I will try to install some on a test sheet before I tackle the final control surfaces.

Sharkster and smokejohnson, thanks for the info, and links on tape and covering hinges. Very interesting techniques. May still go one of these routes.

Also, I've attached a few more picts of the build. I will start my covering work later this week, between work, kids, wife, home and everything else that needs to get done.

Oh...on a separate note, flew my GP Fokker D7 tonight at sunset, dead calm, fantastic sky colors, one of the 10 best evenings of '08 here in CT. This was only my 3rd flight on the plane. I had 2oz of lead to balance at the recommended CG and I decided to take out 1/2 oz tonight and it flew great! I was finally able to land it cleanly without nose tipping it. What a night!

Thanks again!

Forge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4438.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	72675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4441.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	72676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4443.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	72677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_44342.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	72681  
Old 07-22-2008, 11:47 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Have you started on the covering yet Forge?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Forge

Smokejohnson,

Yes, I have been working piece by piece on the covering work and have really been enjoying it!

I have everything covered except for the fuselage. I was up until midnight last night working on the tail feathers. I still want to add some details like striping or some other graphics, but it is coming out pretty good. The covering is really quite fun to work with.

I will try to post up some picts later tonight. I am getting really excited to get this bird up in the air too.

Thanks

Forge
Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Forge

Guys,

Well, it's been a drawn out process due to many responsibilities everyday, but it is finally starting to look like a plane. I still have a way to go, but I've been learning and enjoying each step along the way. (I even tried soldering for the first time, and it worked!)

Here are some of the latest pictures of my first covering job in progress. I just need to work on the fuselage which I am planning on a blue lower half with red on top, with a white stripe along the side between the colors. I will probably add some white stripes or stars along the top of the wing too. I will also paint the canopy a smoked gray.

I ended up with red transparent and blue opaque and the opaque color is a lot more forgiving than the transparent film for showing little mistakes. Know that for next time.

Anyway, enjoying the journey and can't wait to get her sky bound.

Thanks for looking and for the advice along the way.

Forge

Name:	IMG_4767.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	73510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4768.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	73511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4770.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	73512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4771.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	73513  
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looking good
Old 08-07-2008, 03:04 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Anymore pics?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Forge

Hey Smokejohnson,

Good morning, I hope all is well in Tulsa this morning. I've been away on vacation with the family the past week in Rhode Island. The ocean was beautiful!

I was missing my EVA build up, and put together these two scratch builds with my youngest while we were away. I remember flying these when I was 7 or 8 and they really do fly great! Check out the pics...

My EVA is completely covered and I have hinged all control surfaces, I even painted the canopy, smoked color this morning. All I need to do now is final assembly, landing gear, electronics, motor, and attaching wings. Still a ways to go.

I will try to post up some new picts tonight. I will probably try to get out for a short flight later tonight too. (with my other planes of course)

Good flying.

Forge

Name:	IMG_5137.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	74939  
Old 08-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Forge

Default Update 8/13

Gents,

If anyone is interested, here are some of the latest photos of my progress. It's been a slow process, with a few hours put in here and there at night after the wife and kids are asleep, but I have been enjoying each step.

All the servos are installed, motor is now mounted, and the electronics are also on board. I even added a little detail with a white stripe down the side of the fuselage, and smoked the canopy.

I am getting closer, and need to attach tail feathers, wings, wheels and then link all the control surfaces. i'm in the final stretch now, I may be afraid to maiden it, but can't wait!

Thanks!

Forge

Name:	IMG_5183.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	75284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5184.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	75285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5185.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	75286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5186.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	75287  
Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Looks real good, Forge.

Paul
Old 08-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Forge

Paul,

Thanks for the compliment, and your advice earlier on in my build.

Some of my covering work needs improvement, but I've learned a lot for my next build.

Have a great day, and good flying.

Forge
Old 08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to the flight report.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
delsol

Forge,
Just ran across your Eva building thread and wow your Eva is looking great. Everyone has a favorite plane and my Eva has to be that plane. Keep up the good work!
Brad
Old 08-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Forge,
Your build is coming along great. Keep up the good work..
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Forge

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. It has been a great experience, and really fun building! As I said at the start of this thread its been 35+ years since my last balsa model. Now I am back at it with my own son helping me, what a blast.

Here's the latest photo updates to my build. Checked out all the electronic connections last night and bolted on the wings and landing gear. All I really need to do now is balance it, program the throws on my DX6i, and then say a prayer for my first flight

I trimmed out the underside in blue and top in red to help with in-flight orientation. I think I will add a spinner, some wing stripes and some American flags to fuselage once I have a chance.

It's been a lot of hours and I realize this is a relatively simple build. I've seen some of the other great work that some of you do and I have even greater respect after finishing up this project.

Due to work and other commitments it may be a few days until I can get out with it, but I will post a report after my maiden. I know my heart will be racing.

I do have one question for you guys. Can you have too much battery power for a motor or ESC? I am using a Castle Thunderbird 18 amp ESC, rated for 3s lipos, and a Scorpion brushless motor, model 2212-26. I have been test running my servos and motor, up to half throttle on the bench, with my ParkZone Trojan battery. This 3s 1800 mah model.. http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ1031

All seems to be fine with my power combo, but I thought I would ask for input before I go skyward.

Thanks!

Forge

Name:	IMG_5265.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	75593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5292.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	75594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5298.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	75595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5306.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	75596  
Old 08-18-2008, 03:04 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I think with a 10x7 prop you should have plenty of power and 10 minute plus flights no problem. It's always nice to double check with a Wattmeter but you should be fine.

Good luck on the maiden.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Forge

Originally Posted by delsol View Post
Forge,
Just ran across your Eva building thread and wow your Eva is looking great. Everyone has a favorite plane and my Eva has to be that plane. Keep up the good work!
Brad

Hey Delsol,

Do you have any insight about the EVA's flight characteristics, or things to be aware of for my maiden flight? Thanks

Forge
Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Forge

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I think with a 10x7 prop you should have plenty of power and 10 minute plus flights no problem. It's always nice to double check with a Wattmeter but you should be fine.

Good luck on the maiden.

James,

I think I will be okay too. I do need to learn more about electrical power systems and I will be buying a watt meter and educating myself on how to use it. Thanks for the advice.

Forge
Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

info A oreintation suggestion

Very nice build Forge & I wish you both lots of luck with the maiden. One thing I'd like to suggest before the maiden is that you go ahead and add some 2" or so wide white stripes to the top or bottom (not both) of the wing for orientation reasons. With the two colors you used it can be difficult to tell which is which at a distance.
Thanks too for the nicely done build thread as I've been considering the Mountain Models Eva line very seriously. I like what I saw

Standing By,
SJ
Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
delsol

Forge,
I had the same set-up as you ( motor & esc ) when I maiden my Eva and it is a great combination. I went to a little larger scorpion motor just for heck of it.
As for flight characteristics my Eva flew great from day one. I'm not sure what I have my low throws set at on my radio but that's where I fly her most of the time.
You will only need to give her about half throttle taking off with your set-up and she floats in so easy on the landings. Good Luck !!
Brad
Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Forge

Slowjohn,

Thanks for the input, I think I will take your advice and add some white stripes before my 1st flight, I need all the help I can get.

Delsol,

Thanks too, for the feedback. Just curious, what size Scorpion did you upgrade to?

Forge
Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 AM
delsol

Hi Forge,
I went from a Scorpion-26 to a 2212-22. The 22 is a little hotter motor than the 26 with a few more watts.
The motor was the same size and bolted right on my mount without any modifications. I used the 2212-26 motor in a Nieuport 28 WWI plane short kit I built.
Brad
Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by Forge View Post
Slowjohn,

Thanks for the input, I think I will take your advice and add some white stripes before my 1st flight, I need all the help I can get.

Delsol,

Thanks too, for the feedback. Just curious, what size Scorpion did you upgrade to?

Forge

Anytime Forge,
Happy to help if & when I can.

Good Luck &
Standing By,
SJ