Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Entry Level Lipo Charger

Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

actually, B6 goes more like this
Plug battery in,
Plug balance Connector in
go to lipo
go to lipo balance
press enter
select mah rating, .8 for 800mah battery....
Press and hold enter button
press enter to conferm .8 for 800mah battery
Charging.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ............
.................................................. ......Charge finished Anoying Beep...LOL
Remove battery,

Insert new battery... Repeat process

For Cost I still Like my B6 charger...
Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

or how about ....

Put duel charger cable on, and balance charge two 2250 3cell batterys at 2amps... Can the Cellpro 4 do that?
SK
Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 PM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

I think I'm going with the Cellpro, because of its simplicity. Is there any other way to power it besides that $25 adapter on the website? It looks like a spare car battery would work okay, but doesn't seem like a great long term solution.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:27 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

There are only a few chargers that will work from DC and AC. They are either very expensive, or weirdly, very cheap. This is a common complaint of people getting into charging RC. It certainly was one of mine.

I'm using a Duratrax PS-can't recommend it. It had problems of claiming to be 12v/7a and turned out to be 15v+ which will NOT work with a BUNCH of chargers.

Prior to that I was using a laptop PS I found in a thrift store. You need to make SURE it is between 12-15v and should be 5A or more though I got away with 3.5A for awhile on a less powerful laptop PS.

Some people use converted PC power supplies. Can be done cheaply if you are comfortable with that. I can supply some links if you want a go at it.
Anything else of reasonable quality will likely set you back about the same $$ FMA wants. A good PS costs, that's why the good charges that can do it are expensive and the cheap chargers that can use AC are lousy chargers since all the $ are in a poor quality PS and a worse charger.

Do NOT use a car battery charger directly > dirty juice. A car battery will work if you need time to think about it.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 PM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

It came, it works, it's great, but I have some questions. Does it usually charge about 200 mAh below the capacity of the pack at 1C charge rate? And what do the different charge rate options do? I have always been told to never charge a battery at more than 1C. But it plainly says I can charge any battery at 3C for faster charge times. There has to be a catch.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:45 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I think (but I don't have the tools to verify) I'd believe the Cellpro indication of capacity before I believed the battery manufacturer, especially if it was a 'cheap(er)' battery. Also, You will now be able to tell HOW FAR you are discharging your packs. Try not to go below 80% capacity if you want to extend battery life.

The different charge rates do exactly what is indicated. Yep, with the 4S you can possibly get away with charging faster than 1C. In general I charge at 1C but if I'm in a hurry will push to 2C or even 3C. The first time you try this monitor the battery temp carefully to make sure THAT battery is OK with faster charging. So far I have not had a problem with an assortment of batteries. The 4S has sophisticated circuitry that somehow gets away with this. This is one of the better unheralded 'secrets' of the 4S. Tell some of the other/different charger owners about it and they'll swear they are coming over for a marshmallow roast during your next charge session. I have not read of anyone having a problem with it-which doesn't make it impossible, but it seems pretty safe. I was pretty uncertain of that myself when I first got it but another earlier owner help me through my anxiety.

One thing that is confusing (to me anyway), the 50% storage option-it will NOT discharge to that level. It will only charge to that level and stop.

I seldom use the individual Amp rates that are an option. I don't have A123 but have been thinking about trying them so that is open to me.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Jacket Man

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=185 This what I Use at the field and have had good luck with it! Bought it at local LHS for 75$
We have replaced this product with a much more advanced charger.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=677

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
cliffh

Gee, what a bunch of different opinions!

I have both cheap and somewhat expensive chargers. I have had excellent results with both.

The ORIGINAL question posted was for an entry level charger. While it may be a good idea to use an expensive charger with high power and expensive batteries, I think we can assume that an entry level charger will be used with entry level batteries. Many entry level people do not even stay with the hobby, so why blow a lot of money on something not needed.

Yep, I've also purchased one of those $5 chargers and it works fine. I use it to charge my $10 lipos. I'm only risking $15! No big deal.

The main thing to remember with the $5 charger though, it that they have a fixed charge rate of around 800mAh to 1,000 mAh. They will charge high capacity batteries rather slowly and should NEVER be used to charge lipos of less than 800 mAh capacity! EVER!

Feel better buying a better charger, buy it! I did for my higher capacity batteries. .....but that little $5 one does its job just fine FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 AM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

I agree, the five dollar charger worked great for me for several months, but once I got my Cellpro, I never looked back. When I started getting into bigger stuff and smaller stuff, I decided to buy for the long run, and it appears to have worked out well for me. It's too bad I bought one before they went down to $50, though.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 PM
cliffh

Originally Posted by Crash&Burn(Often) View Post
I agree, the five dollar charger worked great for me for several months, but once I got my Cellpro, I never looked back. When I started getting into bigger stuff and smaller stuff, I decided to buy for the long run, and it appears to have worked out well for me. It's too bad I bought one before they went down to $50, though.

My situation is a bit different. My wife flies also, so on a good day, we go through a BUNCH of batteries that need charging. I'd go broke buying a bunch of chargers, so we comprimise by using a couple "good" chargers for the larger batteries, and several "cheap/inexpensive" chargers for the smaller batteries.

Works well for us. I'd hate to think of using $400 or $500 worth of chargers to keep us in batteries on a good day