Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

GWS A4 Skyhawk

Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Ok some more teaser pics
After working on this all night long I have got quite a bit done
(and I was wondering if fresnojay ever sleeps??!!??) lol
Sorry these are a little dark but you get the idea
Finished the splitter plates and plenum divider
Not as close to the fan as I would have liked but I wanted the fan to come out easy
The stock elevator linkage joining wire was in no way sufficent for a bird that is gonna cruise like this one
I made a new one from some carbon rod and servo horns.....much more solid
You can also see how I triangulated the spars in the horizontal stab...the same is being done to the wing
all seems have been filled and the wing is glued on for additional strength
More to come soon!
I need to start thinking of a paint scheme too!
Maybe someone can lighten these up a bit for me?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00011.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	57588   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00012.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	57589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00013.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	57590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00015.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	57591  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:42 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Nice work usmc. Like the mod on the elevator joiner. Mine is stock but have had no issues with it. Other have said it seems flimsy but mine seems rock solid to me. Difference in mounting? Who knows. She is looking good keep it up and us posted.

Jason

P.S. I got a few hours sleep between me getting off work and the mrs. heading to work.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Jason all that is left now is the retracts and the aileron servos and little nitpick stuff
Gotta head back to work tomorrow AM so will have to work a few hours afterwork
Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Ok here are the main retract units in place
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	a-4 retract.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	57622   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-4 retract2.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	57623  
Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Who makes those retracts? They look good but am kinda shying away from mechanicals with the problems I have with the ones in my UF Mustang.

Jason
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Jason
I have never had a set of mechanicals with as many problems as the ultrafly ones...except maybe blue gws ones....lol
These are robarts ...very strong and sturdy and to prove how well built they are these are the exact same ones that were in my ultrafly mustang over three years ago...they have done many a retracting duty in quite a few planes
Once you get a nice set of mechanicals they are great...did you see the vid of my FW 190 retracts? those are mechanicals also
The key to mechanicals is use the thickest control rod as you can....no flex means a well working retracts
these move up and down so easy a hs-55 can move them but it's gears are too fragile unfortunatly
These were only 19.99 and the ones in my FW 190 were 29.99
Much better than 130 -200 bucks for air
And air has it's issues also I have experienced...I'll stick with these
Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Oh yeah...and the other thing that makes mechanicals work really nice is a servo slower...these will be on a 6 second rate
Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

I ditched the stock UF ones during my build and have in it a set of GP .10's. They are very strong but my issue has been getting the end point right so the gear lock up and down without servo buzz.

Jason
Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Well looks like I will be posting more in here and NON-GWS threads on RCG from now on due to MR. Lin's latest post on the RCG GWS A-4 thread.

I can understand the reason for his post and where he is coming from in his post but the bottom line is if GWS equipment was adequate in the first place there would be no reason to post links to or post other manufacture's items. So with that said I am done ranting lol.

Jason

*EDIT* Here is the link for those RCG users that wish to read what MR. Lin posted. MY response the next post in that thread if any cares to read it. Its much longer than what I wrote here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1194

Last edited by FresnoJay; 02-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
ParkJetsFlyer

I can understand mr. Lin's point too. If they were my planes, I'd probably delete the posts LOL.

some people are going into the business of kit-bashing their planes for fun and profit

There's another part of the whole ARF kit supply thing that no one's even looked at. Under the new AMA Parkflyer program, anything that GWS expects people to fly in a park, is going to have to weigh less than 2 pounds, and be incapable of flying FASTER than 60 mph That Includes Jets Aanything larger and or faster, will have to be flown at a AMA Field, or on private property.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

ParkJetsFlyer, I do understand his point to a point. I also understand what you are saying about other ripping off GWS kits and calling them thier own. I do not agree with anyone that does this.

Point being is why attack the people that do what they have to in order to get thier planes in the air, when thier stock systems fail usually within 1-3 flights if they even make it that far? I would have been totally happy to use my fan if I didn't have to worry about it coming apart in the air damaging the ducting and possibly crashing my plane in the process. His car dealership analogy is pretty pointless because of the fact that what would happen if the dealers refused to issue recalls to fix know defects at no cost to purchaser? They would not be around much longer.

But I didn't mean to bring the issue over here just bring to peoples eyes what I see as GWS trying to ignore something the know is an issue.

Jason

P.S. Back to the models. Which I do think are great minus the power system.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 PM
ParkJetsFlyer

He could put anyone's motor's in his planes, he's stuck with what he has and he's not about to cut into his profit margin to make anything better.
The vast majority of people he sells to will have the jet crashed after 3 flights, so long life motors are the least of his worries.

I'm putting a minifan and Mega motor in mine, it probably won't fly any faster, but there's a far greater chance that it will be ready to fly a lot more often than the stock GWS set-up would be.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

What size mega you putting in yours? As I had stated in my RCG post what I am using what I had on hand and seems to be working fairly well. Your setup is going to be similair to mine depending on your motor. I got a 3oz jump in thrust just by adding the thrust tube. Would be interesting to see the nimbers from a stock MF480 setup VS mine which is just a bit smaller.

My second and hopefully third, fourth, and fifth flights are scheduled for this saturday. Weather looks good now to see if it holds.

Jason
Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Wow ... interesting thread. Seems like you jumped on a cart and suddenly it turned into a little bandwagon.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Perl, Yeah it seems that way. I didn't think that would happen. But I guess it kinda shows that more than just I thought and felt that way. But its what it is and all I can say is onward and upward.

Jason
Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Jason!
I just read all that on RCG
I didn't and am not deleting any posts
but unsubscribed from all threads in the gws forum and am not posting in the GWS forum anymore
Mr Lin wants to be like that than fine...he can have fun in his own forum
anyways
I worked on these retracts for 2 nights now...finally ...success!
Got the nose gear retract in and working and the mains are all in order
install aileron servos and patch over any gaps before the finishing resin goes on
Getting close man!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Good to here usmc. I pm'ed you on RCG about the new thread I started over there.

Pics man gotta have some pics!

Jason
Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 AM
ParkJetsFlyer

Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
What size mega you putting in yours? As I had stated in my RCG post what I am using what I had on hand and seems to be working fairly well. Your setup is going to be similair to mine depending on your motor. I got a 3oz jump in thrust just by adding the thrust tube. Would be interesting to see the nimbers from a stock MF480 setup VS mine which is just a bit smaller.
Jason
I'd like to put a Mega 16/15/3 in there and run it on 4S or 5S but I don't have any packs for that. So I'll have to use a 16/15/2 on 3S and hope I don't burn out my 35 A ESC. I really need a 45 or 60A ESC for best result's. Just have to watch the throttle.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:48 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

FresnoJay
GWS strikes AGAIN!
You know that long extension for the elevator servo?
The one that runs all the way under the fuse, around the retract servo install and could possible be the hardest extension to remove from the plane?
Well I got a bad one in my a-4 box!
Been trying to get it out chased by a new one for the past hour....
Want a pic of me about to smash a a-4 to pieces?
Too funny isn't it?
Just figures
I'll get it though
Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Awe usmc man that sucks and sorry to hear. Mine is working ok but mine really doesn't move much if at all. It is tacked all the way around the fan hatch. I did this to minimize movement.

ParkJetsFlier, I would go no less than a 60A with the 16/15/2. The ESC I am using is a 60A and swithing BEC which means if at a later time you wish to go even up to 6S this ESC will do the job with no external BEC. Mine is cool on 4S with 4 servos and no issues.

Jason
Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
ParkJetsFlyer

what kind of rpm's do you get on a /2 with a 4S Pack gotta be around 50K
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

ParkJetsFlyer, The 4S and up comment was ment if you went with a different motor like a 16/15/3 or HET 2W-20. I think a 16/15/2 would make magic smoke on 4S.

Jason
Old 02-29-2008, 06:14 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by ParkJetsFlyer View Post
I'd like to put a Mega 16/15/3 in there and run it on 4S or 5S but I don't have any packs for that. So I'll have to use a 16/15/2 on 3S and hope I don't burn out my 35 A ESC. I really need a 45 or 60A ESC for best result's. Just have to watch the throttle.
Just for clarification's sake, this goes against what I recently read from Castle - when running below max throttle, you're actually pushing the ESC harder than at max. So running lower throttle to keep amps and heat down produces the opposite effect: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27276 (info from Castle posted in reply #12).
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Perl, I can't comment on Castle ESC's as I stopped using them. But the OEMRC and Turnigy brands that I use now work fine being used at lower amps than rated for. Maybe its due to the different kinds of BEC's in them vs the Castle brand. The BEC in the Castle ESC's are linear type meaning they can usually only go up to 3S and have difficulties dissappating heat in certain situations my guess would be due to smaller FET's. Meaning you need an external BEC over a certain cell count or servo number. Now the OEMRC and Turnigy ESC's that I run have switching BEC's and can handle up to 6S without need for external BEC. Now the cell count on the ones I use do still depend on the number of servo's but its not as critical as the Castle ones. I run 4S with 4 servos which wouldn't be possible with the same size Castle ones I remember right which makes the ones I use a better deal not to mention cheaper in the first place.

My A-4 uses a Turnigy 60A plush with switching BEC rated for 3A continuously. The Castle site doesn't say what the BEC on the PH-60 is even rated at, but says that it can only go up to 3 cells with it active and 6 cells with it off.

Personal experience has shown it handles the 4S, 4 servo, 35A draw from my A-4 with just barely being warm at the end of a flight. Your choice really but I am happy with the ESC's I use and will continue to use them.

Jason
Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Hey Jay,

Did you read the paragraph at the link I posted? It didn't really have anything to do with what you just posted, so far as I can tell. Though I admittedly confuse very easily. You should always overrate your ESC's as far as I'm aware. The information I posted wasn't Castle-specific information (I don't use any Castle ESC's) ... it's concerning amp draw in relation to throttle management, and how your ESC handles it (which I posted in regards to Tom's mentioning he'd go easy on the throttle because his power system's amp draw was so close to the ESC's max rating).

Last edited by PerlAddict; 02-29-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: GWS A4 Skyhawk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14569 seconds with 17 queries