Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

GWS A4 Skyhawk

Old 05-15-2008, 03:06 AM
Fugitive_Bill
Flying High

Jason, about $120 is max I want to pay for retracts, so what you suggest might work later on, anything I do next will be upgrading the power plant.

---

X-posted from RCG - Forgot I was posting the progress pics here.
---

Well thats the FLAPS in, they look pretty messy but work well enough.
Really annoyed about the thick nyrod mainly.

I might leave the underside pretty 'dirty' for now until after the Maiden.
If the plane lasts through that I'll finish the belly (and everything) off much neater.

Just have to touch up the dings/scratches done to the top while working on the belly.
(I have a VERY small work area, and I kept whacking it into stuff).

Might coat the whole thing in Fibreglass Resin, most important is the main wing leading edges and belly.

Got the yellow 'flash' decal for the tail ready, some 'No Step' decals and I'm going to return to some of the original decals as a lot of mine are not bright or big enough, and I need more bright and big on it because of it's plain grey colour.

Just waiting for the pilots and the nose gear. Cockpit is ready for two pilots with a second instrument panel made.

Canopy held on by pins at the back and magnets at the front. (Yup read here about how the front stock GWS clip is hard to release!!)

This is the first kit I've built in many, many years and also my first EDF, and I've seen
how fast they go, that scares me a lot.

I'm sure going to get some practice in on the PITTS before I attempt the A4.

Bill.
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A4-062.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	66055   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4-063.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	66056   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4-065.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	66057   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4-066.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	66058   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4-067.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	66059  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4-068.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	66060   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4-069.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	66061  
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Bill, Mine might get its retracts in a month or so. Still haven't been able to get any flights in since removing the gear. But my A-4 will be getting its finaly paint job and decals in the next week or so. So cosmetically she will be done at least.

Jason
Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Fugitive_Bill
Flying High

I hope you are going to log the retract install here and/or on your RCG Build thread!.

Still waiting for Pilots and Nose retract - but I did go cheap on the postage!

In the mean time I've decided to paint up one of the GWS Corsair real nice.
I finally found one on the web coloured RED used in air races. So now now I can get rid of
that terrible dark blue and not have anyone say 'there's no such thing as a red Corsair' !
I'll use it as a test bed for for when comes time to finish off the A4 paint work.

Bill.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Sound cool Bill. There are all different color corsair's out there. Never let what people say limit your creativity.

Oh and yes I will do a log with pics when it come time for retract install. She is getting a paint touch up today as it is.

Jason
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Ok new video for thsoe of you that do not frequent RCG. From a week ago yesterday. Man I love this plane.

Jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4wVdFDTBS0
Old 08-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Hey guys, I have 2 EDF power systems with out homes. I was thinking about this plane. I don't get a lot of time these days to read the threads so if you guys could put this plane in a nut shell, that would be great. I have a 70mm Fan and stock Himax motor out of a Twister that might be a good match for this plane. I also have a LS Jet Scream with a alpha fan [5 blade rotor 4S set up] that I was thinking of putting in a L39. I think I like this bigger plane better than the L39, so any tips you could share would be great. Are there and things I should look out for? What needs to be beefed up? What about hand launching. I fly off grass 99% of the time and I'm thinking no gear.

CTD
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Hello there again CTD, i dunno which you will read first but I answered you on RCG as well. This plane will fly well on that fan unit. There are several people from memory that use that unit. One site even sells it as an upgrade to the stock one in a combo. 3S will yield more stock like performance. But go 4S and she picks up a decent amount. You just need to be carefull when running on 4S and limit WOT to short bursts 10-20 seconds. AJRenolds on the RCG thread posted numbers for amp draw and such.

I bungee my A-4 now but have hand launched as well. My preferance is to bungee as it is a no brainer hard to mess up launch.

Jason
Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Thanks Jason, I think that motor and fan will work out really well. I flew it in my EFJ Sport Jet and it preformed very well on 3S as well as 4S. However the SJ was a slicker airframe. I placed my order for the A-4 today. It should be in early next week. I also bought a new Formosa II to replace my old and tired Formosa I. I'm gonna be busy with 2 planes to build!! LOL!! I'd better clean off my work bench, that might take me a week!! I pulled the fan out of the Sport Jets wreckage tonight and fired her up so as to be sure it worked. Everything checked out fine. On 4S the fan wants to pull out of my hand, it's got plenty of thrust.

CTD
Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
Hey guys, I have 2 EDF power systems with out homes. I was thinking about this plane. I don't get a lot of time these days to read the threads so if you guys could put this plane in a nut shell, that would be great. I have a 70mm Fan and stock Himax motor out of a Twister that might be a good match for this plane. I also have a LS Jet Scream with a alpha fan [5 blade rotor 4S set up] that I was thinking of putting in a L39. I think I like this bigger plane better than the L39, so any tips you could share would be great. Are there and things I should look out for? What needs to be beefed up? What about hand launching. I fly off grass 99% of the time and I'm thinking no gear.

CTD
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
I shimmed my A4 down to fit an 66mm SF fan with an LS1400. Just installed a Wemotec HW505 rotor today. I did test the SF rotor up to 450W and it held. The larger 70mm fan would even fit with less shimming CTD. The ducting on this plane is really a bit small for the stock 75mm fan, so I would imagine it may even be more efficient with a smaller fan. I always like to run CF in these GWS fuses. Wherever GWS uses the little nut holders is also a good place to "capture" them in with CF sparring, so you can really torque down on the screws without ripping them out.

This plane has retracts, but I don't blame you for planning no gear and hand launching. At this point, if I'm not doing retracts I'd rather keep the weight down, handlaunch, and not have gear hanging down.

Second pic shows the CF which locks in the fan cover nut inserts.
Third pic shows the foam taper cone which reduces the top cover dia to the fan dia.

Name:	LS1400_SFfan_2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	76275   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_4.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	76276   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_21.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	76277   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_24.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	76278  
Old 08-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

I have glassed almost every GWS bird I have ever built. However I'm worried about adding too much weight. Have you flown it with the LS 1400 motor yet? My buddy just bought one of those motors. He is putting it in a BAE Hawk.

CTD
Old 08-24-2008, 04:24 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

CTD, I fly the JS-1400 in a HET 6904 in my X-flight Typhoon, 1200W+ on 4S. The JS-1400 is a sweet motor. CN, on RCG used the JS-1400 in his A-4 before it crashed. Made his A-4 at 60oz sing along nicely.

Jason
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
I have glassed almost every GWS bird I have ever built. However I'm worried about adding too much weight. Have you flown it with the LS 1400 motor yet? My buddy just bought one of those motors. He is putting it in a BAE Hawk.

CTD
No, still need to get around to it. Got the Wemo HW505 rotor installed and tested now, so it's all ready to go.
Boy I wish I had bought a few more of those motors at $59. I bought them when they first came out.

Bill
Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Bill, dont feel bad. I wish I had also as my A-4 would no be sporting one as well. 120mph in the A-4 on one of those JS-1400 sure sounds sweet.

Jason
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Bill, dont feel bad. I wish I had also as my A-4 would no be sporting one as well. 120mph in the A-4 on one of those JS-1400 sure sounds sweet.

Jason
Well they knocked them down 10 bucks this weekend, but I've blown enough on this hobby lately. Still debating though.

Here's the Wemo HW505 rotor installed. A steep price for a rotor, but should be worth the insurance. I ran the previous SF rotor to 450W, but I wouldn't trust it there for long.

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_25.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	76650  
Old 08-29-2008, 12:54 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

I love those 505's. Have one in my old Wattage Mig-15. When it bough the farm the power system was transplanted into the A-4 and flew it well just not very fast. It did about 60ish maybe low 70's on about 500-600 watt range if I remember right. Those 505's can take some serious power. I ran the one in the A-4 up to 800W a couple times on a high Kv motor but it never actually flew on it. The motor was way too heavy but the rotor took the power with no issue.

Jason
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Hey guys, my A-4 is still sitting in the box. I just havn't had time to start it yet. Ho Hum, I"m hoping to start glassing her this coming week. I picked up some 3/4 oz FG cloth and some minwax today so at least I"m getting closer. Are there any aeras that need carbon to beef it up? I have seen carbon put into the wing but what about the fuse?

Thanks,
CTD
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

CTD, The fuse is pretty rugged and has taken quite a few blows on my end from curbs and rough landings. Still not a crack or break at all. Matter of fact other than the section of my elevator that broke off in flight and the stock gear bending and breaking nothing on the airframe has ever broken. She is very well designed really tough.

Jason
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 AM
tim61
Lawn Dart

Jumping on late here, but I just got my A-4 ready to go. I turned to Jeff at www.eflightline.com for a power system. Jeff knows I like to try to "exceed the speed of foam", so he knew I wanted big power. We tried to run the stock GWS fan on the big Mega, but had issues. So, we raided the parts box for an old Kyosho 75mm fan. We are running a Mega 16/15/3 in the Kyosho fan with a 4s2450 pack. The static tests today recorded 37 amps at 512 watts. The all up weight is 32 ounces, so my guess is it should get moving nicely.

I didn't read this forum until after I had glued the fuse together. So, I had to add the intake splitter after the fact. I also made an exhaust tube the tapers from the 75mm fan to a 50mm exhaust.

No landing gear, we have a grass field locally. I plan on doing decals and paint detail this week, with a maiden next weekend. Hope it hauls big time!

TimO

Name:	a4-9.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	78164   Click image for larger version

Name:	a4-10.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	78165   Click image for larger version

Name:	a4-7.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	78166  

Last edited by tim61; 09-15-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Hi Tim, Your bird looks sweet. With your exit necked down to 50mm from 75mm your might be hurting your thrust as it should be around 60mm to have a nice balance between efflux and thrust. Your Efflux will be up for sure and should give you a nice speed boost. The only problem is getting on step if the thrust is hurt. I am not sure how this setup will perform as I ditched the 75mm fan and went with the HET 70mm one. My exit is at 55mm and see speeds around 85-95mph. Yours should be around 70-75mph at least. Keep us posted. Also I have a real extenssive thread over on RCG that I started that has alot of good looking birds and extra mods and detail ideas.

Jason
Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 AM
tim61
Lawn Dart

I stand corrected. I made the tube 55mm at the back. Actually, I made it 57.15mm (2.25"). I hope it goes a lot faster than you estimate. We did an XPD-8 last week with less power to weight, and it went 89mph on the radar. But, I will let you know! We still hope to get to maiden this weekend...

TimO
Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Tim I wish you the best on your maiden. Hope all goes well. I dunno if you saw my posts back in the thread but I am getting between 850-900W on my HET setup. On a good day conditions wise I have been dopplered at 96mph. You could go faster than what I stated as youare running the larger fan. The biggest hurdle for this bird is it is rather big and draggy. She does look sweet in the air though. I do still have mine she just hasn't seen air in about a month. Been trying to get her out but her sister my Eurofighter has been a real time hog. So needless to say have been spending alot of time in the repair department. The Eurofighter is the White plane in my avatar pic. I need to update that pic as she is now painted and looks really sweet. But thats a different thread lol.

Jason
Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

I finally got some time to work on my A-4. I just glassed the nose, bely of the fuse and the bottom of the main wing. I wrapped the glass about an inch over the LE of the main wing for added protection since I'm going to belly landing mine i the grass most of the time. I also got some paint on her. I'll have to shoot some pix and post them after I finish the paint work. I'm goint with solid dark green on the top with lite tan dark brown and black camo over the green. More to come........

CTD
Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Here is what I have so far. I'll be adding dark brown and maybe third camo color before I'm finished. After all the paint work is done I'm going to give the A-4 a coat of Envirotex. This will give it a nice HARD and very Glossy finish. Check out the link below on the Envirotex. This stuff dries crystal clear, unlike finishing resin which has a yellow cast to it. it also makes your paint colors POP!!

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/...oductNum=gc0511

CTD
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Name:	100_2461.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	79714   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2462.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	79715   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2464.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	79716   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2465.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	79718   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2466.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	79719  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2467.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	79720   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2468.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	79721  
Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Looking good CTD. Keep up the work.

Jason
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Ok meant to post these on here earlier this week. These were posted over on RCG by one of my new flying buddies that he happened to take just after launch and just before touch down. They are great action shots from one of the 2 great flights my scooter got on her last weekend.

On a side note the possibility of the A-4 getting a JS-1400 in her has come up. My eurofighter this last weekend bought the farm and I mean HARD! She pancaked in from about 30' and has been binned. So the JS-1400 that was in her will be available once it gets back from RVincent from repairs.

Jason

Name:	A-4 Bungee.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	79725   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-4 Landing.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	79726  

Quick Reply: GWS A4 Skyhawk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15239 seconds with 35 queries