ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

World Models "Fun World - EP 400"

Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

if you have the time and purchase power, i'd go to a brushless motor. We can probably find a tunergy inrunner that will plug and play with the stock 400 and give you boatloads of power.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Kmot

I have some brushless motors and esc's on hand already. But I am a stubborn old coot, and I will make this plane work properly on the brushed 400 setup before I do any upgrading.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Kmot

I found a replacement motor. It has a lower Kv and I tested it on my 3S lipo and it runs cooler than the first motor did. After installing it I measured the amp draw with the prop on and it pulls a peak amp of 10.87 amps.

The original motor was rated for 8.4V Nominal and 21800 rpm. The replacement measures a little over 22K rpm on 11.1V so it is a pretty close match powerwise but will allow me to run the 3S battery.

Does this all sound right?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Kmot

Hello?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Kmot

Some people I have talked to have told me the motor was not over volted on a 3S lipo. So I dunno.......
Old 01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I wish I could help on that, I don't know squat about rating brushed motors. I know the large majority of them arn't rated for 3 cell, but some will take it. you said you ran it up on 3S and it stayed cool. Sounds like it will take it. If you have a watt meter you can try that to see how many watts your pulling from the battery. the rule is 100 watts / pound to fly nice, 120watt-150/lb for 3d sport.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Kmot

Thanks for the reply CC!

Yes, the other motor seems to handle the 3S without an issue. I have no idea what it came out of, as it was just in a box of other spare can motors I have collected over the years.

I have a Watts Up meter that I normally use to measure the output on the electric motors I use in my boats. So when I measured this motor at 10.87A I seem to recall the recorded watts was around 120. But that is through a gearbox so I don't know if it's relevant to your formula?

Anyway I contaced Airborne Models and they are going to warranty the motor and send me a replacement! Very nice of them.

They did advise me that on a 3S I can only fly at half throttle, and use full power no more than 15 seconds at a time. (Which is what I thought I had been doing!) But I think that with the addition of the air cooling I installed and being a 'fresh' motor it will be okay. The first time the original motor was run it did get hot because there is no effective air cooling designed into the model as it comes.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

formula works regardless of gearbox, 120 watts your looking about about 90 watts / pound, that'll fly the plane. (90/lbs is "scale-sport" flying). if you used that motor and put a bigger prop on to get it to about 150 watts you'll get a real nice flying plane.

Try a 12x5 APC slowflyer prop that'll raise the watts and give you more thrust. just use your watt meter to make sure max amps don't overload your ESC
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Kmot

Thanks again CC!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Here's and RC groups thread on it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433601
Old 01-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Kmot

Thanks Crash. From the RCG thread:

my setup draws 155W and it almost prop-hangs,
I don't want to prop hang. I just want to fly around the park and do some stunts. Hopefully my 120 watts will do that.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
EAO HarleyMan
EAO HarleyMan

Great info on the build Kmot. Also I see they have it on there website for $40.00 and only $6.99 shipping now thats a sweet deal. http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopdisplayprod...verstock+Sales Thanks for giving all the info you provided it is going to save us that plan on building one a lot time by knowing what you have found out for us.

Thanks for doing our homework for us.
Jerry
Old 01-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Kmot

You're welcome!

Wow, going for $40 again you can't beat that deal!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Kmot

Default Re-Maiden A Complete Success!!

I flew the Fun World EP again this morning, on the replacement motor I had installed. I flew it at my main airfield, Sepulveda Basin, instead of a park. This is the motor that had the lowest Kv I could find in my inventory, as stated above.

Well, this motor turned out to be a peach!! The plane flew great!! It has more than enough power to perform all standard aerobatics. Even a slight amount of hovering into the wind.

I did two complete landings to a full stop. I flew the first circuit for about 5 minutes and the second circuit for also about 5 minutes. I estimate the total in air time to be 10 minutes and the battery had not dumped. I am measuring the re-charge right now.

Slow rolls, big loops on low rates. Fast rolls and tight loops on high rates. Rudder stall turns, and a bit of prop hanging into the wind.

This plane slows down so much when setting up for landing it almost appears to be floating. Well yes, there was a bit of a headwind, but still.

This is now my new favorite electric plane!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Kmot

My battery just finished re-charging.

The 2200mAh 3S li-po took 743mAh after 10 minutes of flight.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Congrats. Really sounds like you have a winner on your hands.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Kmot

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Kmot

I received a replacement Speed 400 motor today from Airborne Models company. Although I will probably keep the current motor in the plane, I now have a spare backup motor. And I wanted to let everyone know that Airborne Models company was quick to respond and replace a motor for me.

Thank you Airborne Models!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Just checking in to see how she's flying
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Kmot

Well, between having been sick for three weeks with a very bad cold/flu, then a thumb injury, and then rain, and then very high winds, I have not flown it again since last January.

But thank you for asking. When I fly her again I will update this thread.

Last edited by Kmot; 02-28-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Kmot

constanCrash: Thank you for asking about my airplane.

I flew her again today. I got three flights completed on the one battery, a 2200mAh 15C 3S. I estimate total time running the motor between flying, touch and goes, and one long taxi back to the pits to be about 20 minutes.

I ran for extended periods this time at full throttle. Not just seconds at a time, but minutes. Nothing overheated or shut off. I also flew quite a bit at 3/4 throttle.

On low rates, I performed slow rolls, big lazy loops, figure eights, and touch and go landings.

On high rates I performed fast rolls, tight loops, Immelmans, outside loops, inverted flight, 4 point rolls, stall turns, regular stalls, and some just crazy stuff with the sticks slammed forward and over.

I have 6 flights on this plane now and except for the original motor going bad on the second flight nothing has failed or come loose or fallen off, etc.

It's a sweet flying airplane. Even though it has only a 400 brushed motor it performs to my total satisfaction.

I just finished recharging the battery and it took 1577 mAh so that left about 30% capacity after 20 minutes of flying.

I am very pleased with this little airplane.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Kmot

Default Update:

I flew the Fun World this morning at a local park. That means taking off from the baseball diamond, and landing in the same. Because the grass field is rough and clumpy, and no way can this bird roll on it.

Well, trying to land on the dirt inside the baseball diamond is sort of like doing carrier landings.

A couple of times I didn't quite make the dirt and landed in the grass which caused the airplane to dig in its nose. Also one time I stalled about 2' off the deck and nosed into the grass.

So the end result is that the paper thin cowling cracked in a number of places. Nothing broke off, but it was too fragile to leave as is.

So I took the cowling off and taped it up to hold all the loose and cracked pieces in place, and laid in some fiberglass cloth. I am going to lay in one more layer of cloth and then it should be good after that.

So, if I were to build another of these I would probably fiberglass the cowling to begin with. And I suggest this to anyone else considering this model.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Thanks for the updates Kmot.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Kmot

"Can't see the forest for the trees"

So, I was carefully trimming the excess fiberglass away from the edges of the intake opening. After it was pretty much finished, I was looking at it again and thought to myself "why does it look so strange?" and THEN I realized a big chunk was missing from the opening in the cowl! Doh!

I had to cut a piece of ABS and fit it in place, and then fiberglass over that, lol. What an idiot I felt like!!

Anyway..... the cowling is now fairly sturdy I must say. And it is in primer, waiting for color coating.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Kmot

I should have taken a picture of the cowling with the cracks and stuff in it but I didn't. Anyway, here is a pic of it as it stands now with some coats of primer on it after patching, sanding, glassing, spot glazing, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	res073.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	96941  

Quick Reply: World Models "Fun World - EP 400"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13449 seconds with 12 queries