ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

GWS Pico F-Stick "My Build"

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Default GWS Pico F-Stick "My Build"

Hello everyone it's Lipo Pilot here with another little plane I built.

Let me take second if you will to explain why I am posting about the GWS Pico F-Stick...

I know it's a old model and I think half of us have tried one. Well that was not the case for me, as a matter of fact I made fun of the plane and never flew one much less had interest in it. The G plane story starts months ago as my flying friend Yota bought him one. His excuse was he had not flown for afew years and was getting back into planes..so he picked the F-Stick to get him back into the curve of flying. Anyhow I laughed literally at him..I think I even called his plane a wussy plane or something of that nature. Bare with me I'm not a jerk and there is a point to this post.

Anyhow one day at the flying field, Yota was flying his wussy plane..I was waiting for lipos to charge...he comments I fly you wait see how that works...oh the payback for cracking on his plane LoL. Anyways I said let me have the wheel, he passed the controller and here we are a month later and 72 flights in my G plane...LoL

The point is dont knock what you don't fly. I'm also doing this post because of my recent aerial videos on youtube and being asked what I did to the plane and how am I set up.

YouTube Videos

Ok so after flying the G plane of Yota's I said I got to get me one of them suckers...Yota says I got another one you can have...oh ya.

OK so Yota deliveries the G plane slope kit. I started my construction. I knew I wanted to use this plane as a flycam platform so thats how I designed it. Yota was also using the GWS to fly a flycam so why not? The cool part is Yota was there to let me know what he did and I followed most of his set up.

Yota's post on RCG

Here are some photo of the construction and the process of building my GWS Airlines.

Now these photos are how I started off, some things changed as I learned the plane. One was the wheels...to small and landing gear was to weak to haul a flycam. The next post will show the changes made to make my seventy some odd flights so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07984.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	103021

Name:	DSC07983.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	103022

Name:	DSC07987.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	103023

Name:	DSC07988.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	103024

Name:	DSC08009.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	103025

Name:	DSC08537.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	103026

Name:	DSC08540.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	103027

Name:	DSC08542.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	103028

Name:	DSC08543.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	103029

Name:	DSC08541.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	103030
Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

As I said in the post above I learned some things when building this plane, mostly what wasnt working.

My set up for the Pico is pretty simple. The motor and ESC comes from Heads Up R/C.

G Plane Set Up
2712-12 Blue wonder
10amp ESC
Rhino 7.4 750mAh & 11.1 650mAh
Props used: "7.4" 9.6 "11.1" 8.4 APC

As far as my set up, I made it so I can do a quick change of the prop depending on my lipo volts used. To fly the camera and my hefty wheels and landing gear frame, I use the 11.1 with the 8.4 APC props to give me about 18oz of thrust. The 9.6 give about 14 to 15oz thrust and makes the G plane slow to climb out when there is wind. I reframe from full throttle on the 11.1 only on take off to get airborn. I do this to not push the ESC...so far no issues and works great.

The motor I mounted on a stick using this Heads Up motor mount and placed that stick in the top hole, not following the GWS set up instructions. The stick is glued the sameway as instruction just not in same location as I needed the different type of motor mount to put my motor in the center of the cowl.

As far as my landing gear..well I learned my wire crap in the beginning was well crap...little gravel would make my wheels fold back always killin the prop on landing...so I made me some from the same wire .050 and used some chinesse chop sticks with thread wrapped in CA to beef up my landing gear...I have landed super hard and no failures. At the sametime I made the landing gear so it comes off, only held by the rubberbands shown in photos below.

My interior components are set up using the cheapest stuff I could find.

Two TowerPro 5gram servos Hobbyking
HobbyKing $30.00 2.4 radio and receiver "WORKS FLAWLESS for 30.00"

As far as the position of everything I set all electronics up to match the CG location mentioned in the manual which is 50 to 60mm from the LE of the wing. I never used the battery compartment door supplied as I realized it would limit my lipo shape and size. So I made a magnet lock door. The magnet is from a GP hellcat I destroyed some months ago. When I fly the cam my lipo in under the nose and the camera sticks to the outside of the battery door to keep my Cg in check.

This is about all I can think to add about my G plane...if I missed something you wanna know just ask and I will answer. Thanks to those who take interest in My G plane, as I am using it to fly everyday and I place the goofy videos on my youtube. I truely love this plane, many times it has had me in pure joy..I love the fact I can drop it on the dirt and just poof take off for one more cool flight. GWS Airlines ROCKS!!!

I have banged her up, but like everyother foamie..she fixes in a jiffy.

Name:	DSC08601.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	103031

Name:	DSC08602.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	103032

Name:	DSC08604.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	103033

Name:	DSC08610.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	103034

Name:	DSC08611.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	103035

Name:	DSC08612.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	103036

Name:	DSC08616.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	103037

Name:	DSC08618.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	103038

Name:	DSC08594.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	103039

Name:	DSC08595.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	103040
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

That has got to be the classiest GWS Picostik-F I have ever seen, LP!

Congratulations on a job well done.
I loved that little plane. It was the model that cemented my love for RC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010539.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	103067  
Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

lipo that's a great looking plane I love the pic of it in the tree reminds me of all the tree rescues I've done for my self I'm getting good at it to. Looking at your other thread too glad to see your enjoying AP like to get into this myself maybe next year. Can't afford the cost of doing this right now. Learn and have fun that's what life is all about.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Twmaster

That looks great Lipo!!

I too started out with one of those many moons ago.... Loved that thing. I literally flew the wings off it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Stick F.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	103072   Click image for larger version

Name:	stik.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	103073  
Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 AM
Yota

their like the energizer bunny--keep going and going--Ive got well over 100 flights on mine running a 2712-12 outrunner 10a esc two china blue servos 9050ep prop all came from jeff(except servos and plane) I have a couple off brand 20c7.4 800mah packs Ive tried the rhino cells about the same numbers and I have a common sence 7.4 800mah 8c pack--out of about 4 or 5 different packs the common sence 8c pack out performs every one of them at about 12$ the price is still as good as the china cheapies due to I can get it local and have no shipping!

I do have a emaxx 2822 Im thinking about tossing on it with the same esc and prop it will provide a little more thrust but have the ability to gain a ton more with the swap out of the esc to a 20a I have and a different prop---running 3s --more choice for set-ups if i ever choose
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Hey guys thanks for comments. Here is another video.

GWS Flight #73 Fly The River In Drizzle
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7_Fw1hpDL4[/media]
Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Hello again, sorry about yesterday it was a busy day as I am preparing for my first combat meet this weekend and I didnt get say alot in the post above. I greatly appreciate all the comments and interest in my plane.

The story is what makes the plane special to me, as I have learned a big lesson "NEVER MAKE FUN OF A PLANE YOU DON'T FLY..."

With that said I am flying the GWS Pico F Stick till she cant fly no more, which according to her record so far, that will be a long time. Everyday as payback to Yota I am flying the GWS Pico in different locations, so if you love the GWS like I do follow along. My GWS wont be going around the world but it will be getting around and I promise in places you would never think of tossing your plane. So if you like adventure without it costing you your model, follow GWS Airlines as she will be going places no model has gone before.

Replies to comments above:

Yota: The famous black bird buzzard hunter, you better get to flying man I'm catching up.

Twmaster: Thanks man, yea I know they been around awhile and I'm late to all the excitement...man wings came off, don't say that LOL.

Gramps: Thanks man, the aerial thing is very fun and watching is good too, maybe by the time you start up I will have given you some ideas, thanks for following my model madness. And gramps that inverted tree pic, well you how it goes..TREES HAVE ARMS...I know they do. "Actually do not try to fly and snap a photo at sametime, this is the result"

Max2112: Thanks man I have to give you award for making the nicest comment on the G plane...most refer to it as my Columbian tour bus LoL, you ever see one of them buses they use all colored up. The colors for some reason make the by standers start singing Lacockaroacha Lacockaroacha. Funny stuff.

Again thank you guys, I'm planning the G plane flight today not sure where just yet, wife says she making a plan hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. If you are interested in where GWS goes next please subscribe to the madness channel HERE
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Yota

lol yes I do chase buzzards with mine, AND ill get that on video one of these days--Ive got them figured out now they roost someplace east of me and usually every evening they fly over my house (counted about 17 of them the other night) <<not often do I see that many in one night usually just a few at a time
Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by Yota View Post
lol yes I do chase buzzards with mine, AND ill get that on video one of these days--Ive got them figured out now they roost someplace east of me and usually every evening they fly over my house (counted about 17 of them the other night) <<not often do I see that many in one night usually just a few at a time
And what do you plan to do when one of the 17 buzzards decide to mate with your buzzard?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Yota

Not a problem, that plane has given me its moneys worth long ago, hope it gets recorded and find the camera -biggest worry --buzzards arnt likely to attack--HAWKS on the other hand will attack WHICH again hope for video and get camera back if I run into that
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Well kiddos, GWS Airlines pumped out another suceessful flight. Take a ride with me 4.5 miles non stop to the Carson Family haunted farm house. We take off from the Wag'en Tail Ranch at 3:00pm sharp and land 10 minutes later cross country. Enjoy the flight. Oh and watch in HD...it's cooler.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MTPdkYF02A[/media]
Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Great video, LipoPilot!

And a neat story to go with it. Spooky!

So after you land you hop in the car and drive to where you landed?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:39 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Great video, LipoPilot!

And a neat story to go with it. Spooky!

So after you land you hop in the car and drive to where you landed?
LoL, I'm glad that illusion is given but the plane is being chased by a vehicle, I did my best to not film the chase car. If you look at the landing notice the vehicle pulling up to mail box...that would be the pick up vehicle. The film is not cut or edited and thats the only place the chase car was filmed. Cool it had ya thinking. Besides if I was flying like that, I would just fly back to my location, I had enough power left to do so but was running short on film time.

As far as what I was doing on this trip, well we all think of electric flight in minutes...how long do we fly. My wife said I wonder how long you actually fly, like how far.

So off we went and this is what we learned. I was wanting to test some lipos and this was a great challenge for this. All flight in this video along with three others we did is at half throttle. Everytime the GWS Pico flew it outlasted all the camera filming equipment time we could store. In short we would run out of film before GWS would die. Flycam records 15minutes before shut off. My filming camera carries 24 minutes of video space...

In our first run we went over 10 miles and was not aware half of the flight was not recorded do to running out of filming space on our cards. Keeping the GWS on a stop watch our longest flight was 28 minutes and just over 10 miles..the only reason we stop was because we had no where to go as the road we turned onto came to a dead end 3 miles in so we landed.

After realizing our film time, this is when we picked two locations that we could give a non stop flight of...well you see it. The thing that bummms me is the fact I lost alot of great footage due to camera record time, but I also learned it takes alot of work to edit a 20minute film that you cant post no where...so all films from here on out will be back to 5 minute flights.

For what its worth this was very challenging to make, I may post some of the bloopers during the making, things like not turning on the camera on the plane, realizing it 2 minutes into flight and landing to fix it...start over. Getting stuck in traffic, then racing to catch the plane. Plotting a route you can fly, nothing like flying into the powerline nightmare from hell. The whole thing took most of a day to do, was fun but I now know what movie makers feel like, getting everything just right is a pain. The worse was the landing as I did not practice or even scope out my plan before the idea of flying to the Carson farm was made, this proved to be very nerv racking as it was up to me to make it a one shoot deal. Notice I hoover the farm for sometime before finally getting a suggestion for my approach...of course it was with a crazy crosswind and powerlines galore. Just land in the road one said...i was shouting its not the point, Im taking the driveway here we go, they were all crossing fingers I didnt wipe out, I came close but no cigar.

Heres some shots taken by still camera, not the greatest but gives the idea of how the g plane looks in flight during filming.

Name:	DSC08641.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	103196

Name:	DSC08642.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	103197

Name:	DSC08644.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	103198

Name:	DSC08651.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	103199

Last edited by LipoPilot; 06-13-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Nice video lipo I knew right away how you were going to do this one. Real cool Music is awesome your putting them together nice. Keep up the good work or should I say great fun

Have you seen the video of the plane flying through the stockholm tunnel on utube? [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-QJLOVLg7M[/media]
Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

LipoPilot,you are one crazy thinking dude.That was great!!
Good thing there are no nuclear power plants or other high value terrorist targets around you or you might have found a F-16 rocket going up your tailepipe
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Adventure is cool, sharing it is better. Some of the things I'm working are the Bleriot XI that made the english channel crossing, as I will be replicating the flight only doing it over a 2 mile wide lake instead. The Bleriot XI...what a graceful little bird.

I'm working on a foam and twig version with the hopes of a GWS type flyer film machine. I figure if it can carry that big ol bomb it can carry my camera.

Name:	GRAHAME_WHITEBLERIOT.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	103159

Name:	bleriot_2v_photo1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	103160

I am also working on my Eploration AVP plane which totes a HD 14oz camera, but that's another project in it's self.

Now lets talk about flying in places you shouldnt. As I do this I have learned afew things. It's always good to really lay out your plan to the fullest, I mean put all the what if's in...what do I do if??? Someone Im sure at some point will challenge my right to fly like I do, but it's OK I ask permission and work my way to everything you do. Some things permission would get the answer no, this is when you make the sneak attack. Just last week I tried to film the missle silos and was turned away by mister pistol pants. But I asked and the answer was basically, your plane flies, your plane dies. The mission here is to entertain at my cost with all the safety in mind. I see the tunnel video as a pushing the safety issue well past safe, but very entertaining. Glad it's enjoyed, I will have more videos up later.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

so did you check the battery after your flight.I'm just wondering how far you could really go
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
so did you check the battery after your flight.I'm just wondering how far you could really go
Yes we did test the lipos for total travel distance and time. Actualy this whole adventure was about testing lipos not the film made while doing it.

I have read so much about what lipos are the lipos to use, so I wanted to know am I paying for label names or lipos? The lipos I am testing are from Common Sense R/C, Heads Up R/C "Power Up", Hobbyking "Zippy, Rhino", Electrifly, and Thunderpower.

Here are my results:
All lipos used were 11.1 around the 610 to 900mAh range with a 20C rate, put into classes by Mah size and C rate. The plane was flown at half throttle for most of the flights only using full to take off from ground. During all testing nothing was change on the plane, only swapping out lipos. The GWS toted the flycam for every lipo test and had a AUW of 12.400oz.

Electrifly: These lipos did the worse of all the lipos not only in flight time, but the battery seemed to be mis-labeled as it would run alot warmer then all the other lipos tested. It just seem to me the lipo was working overtime, not sure if this is just poor cell structure or the discharge rates are wrong. With the three lipos tested no more then 7 miles was ever flown before the power was gone and a landing was forced.

Heads Up R/C "Power Up": These lipos were impressive with not only flight time but the lipo never seem to quit. The only issue really noticed was the Power Up lipos seem to be alittle heavier then all the other lipos, coming in second with TP on weight. The Power Up lipos completed a 12.6 mile flight.

Common Sense R/C: The common sense R/C lipos did very well and seem to be very strong. One thing I notice about the Common Sense lipos was at charge time they seem to pack more charge and when the lipo settled, very little charge was loss. Packing 12.60 and staying well above 12.58 at use time. Most of the other lipos would charge to 12.60 but settle around 12.48. My personal thoughts are Common Sense lipos are the second best tested lipo and it only got 2nd because of cost The Common Sense R/C lipos completed a 13 mile flight before landing.

HobbyKing "Zippy, Rhino" These lipos topped out as the best performers, running along side the HURC and Common Sense lipos the Rhinos and Zippies were power packers. The over all price makes them the true winner for budget flying. These lipos were the first ones to do 13 miles.

Thunderpower: The TP lipos were the third strongest in the group, but were the same as the HURC Power Up lipos, they weighed alittle more then the others. The TP seem to pack a big bit on the first part of the flight, but after a certain point the drain was very quick. Out of the longest flight on a lipo of 13 miles, the TP only did 10.5 and landed.

GWS flying the winner lipo Rhino

Name:	DSC08719.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	103259

I would like to add that this info above is created by me for my own personal use, I am not a lipo expert nor do I want to be, I simply wanted to know where my dime would be best spent on a lipo. I hope you don't mind I shared it with you.

Because most of us use minutes for flight, I became interested in how far we fly verses how many minutes doing circles. I did my best to fly the planes in the same direction on the same path for each lipo so wind would not effect each plane differently, and I also did my best to keep the throttle at the same RPM to make sure each lipo was getting a fair play. It took the entire day to run the 13 mile course with each lipo, but alot was learned and I got some major flight hours.

I will be back with some more GWS Airline flights...I put the G plane in combat today in Oklahoma...har har and won the round...take a guess why??? My lipo outlasted the last man standing. Go Go Go G plane, it was fun.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:41 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

GWS taking to the skies for some combat in Oklahoma today. What a wonderful club and a great time.

Name:	DSC08717.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	103260

Name:	DSC08720.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	103261
Old 06-23-2009, 08:44 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Hey everyone...havent been flying the G plane much lately...ok I'm lying. I have only made about 72 more flight since the farm fly and I'm uploading videos as I can. Well I was looking for ideas for the G plane..on youtube I ran across a Ninja turtle parachute drop across America, one of our Watt members makes the shoot i think. Anyhow...I did a test to see can I drop the turtle...well

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50eOibsHd48[/media]
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

It's official Lipo Pilot is number #10 on the Turtle Drop list...

http://www.peculiarrc.com/turtle%20drop.html
Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Yota

Ill post mine back up here in a few days its getting an overhaul -Building a new firewall to mount a different motor on-- new landing gear --and a little sprucing up lost count long ago with how many flights its done but it has payed for itself over and over again with the enjoyment of just fun flying!!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Default She Is DEAD....

Today's GWS news reports that GWS Flight #199 went down two days ago over water. After filming Flight #196 I made afew front yard hops...well one to many.

The last successful flight of the Pico Stick F
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wvnG8VUIg[/media]

Truely the last flights
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvU_uaEV9S0[/media]

As the video states I did get the GWS after a half hour and chasing it down the river, it has been completly repaired and dried out. In the crash the nose cowl was busted and the tail feathers tore off. As far as electronics...reciever "which didnt matter" and my flycam...but the card survived and kept the video as you see.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

After alot of emails, and comments asking about the GWS Pico F Stick...I thought I might wanna make a video of the return....after the crash.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC255WK4hGI[/media]

Quick Reply: GWS Pico F-Stick "My Build"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15284 seconds with 16 queries