GWS Corsair punched on final approach (test flight video added) - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

GWS Corsair punched on final approach (test flight video added)

Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Jarsalla

Default GWS Corsair punched on final approach (test flight video added)

Hi fellow wattflyers,

I have a GWS Corsair which has been punched few times and I recently upgraded the kit with a Turnigy 35-30C 1100kv motor.

Last Sunday I was flying at a nearby soccer field and doing some touch-and-goes and loops etc. After few successful landings it was time to change the lipo to a fresh one. Once again I was doing some touch-and-goes and loops and so on.

After a while I noticed that the plane was doing things on its own and I thought there was some interference in the area and paid no significant attention to it. Then the glitching became a bit more frequent and I thought Id better bring her down. So I raced her fair wind and noticed that when I applied more throttle the plane vibrated violently. So I was now really racing her fair wind and as I started to turn head wind the plane suddenly just went out of control. So I instantly killed the throttle and tried to straighten her up, but I was too close to the ground. All I could do was just stand there and watch as she was spinning towards the ground and went behind trees. Seconds later a loud impact sound could be heard and I thought to myself as I was walking towards the crash site:" Well...This might be the end to my rc-flying for awhile. The plane is probably in million pieces, lipo is buffed or worse, burning, and the new motor is busted."

I had to ask few people if they had seen where the plane had crashed since the area was dense with tall hay, bushes and young trees. A lady said that she heard a loud bang to her left so I thanked her and went looking for my plane. After about five minutes of searching through the nettles and bushes I found her. Much to my surprise the plane had survived the crash with very little damage! Oh, the joy I felt due to this! The wing had come off from the fuselage, servo wire was detached from the receiver and the fuselage had cracked from one side. No damage to electronics what so ever, not even the motor shaft had bent and the prop was also intact (APC-quality )! The young tree branches must have soften the impact as there were few cut branches around the crash site. Unfortunately, I was so amazed happy about the lack of damage to the plane that I didn't realize to take a picture of it at the crash site.

I inspected the plane at home and tried to figure out what caused the plane to crash. First I thought that the ESC had come loose and jammed the servo horns. Then I remembered that the plane had vibrated when throttle input was increased. So my conclusion is that the motor mount had come off which caused very violent vibrating and I lost control because the motor wasn't pointing straight anymore.

Now the plane is epoxied and as good as new, again. All I have to do now is to figure out away to fix the motor in place properly

I'll post some pictures of the plane and the repaired damage later today..

Last edited by Jarsalla; 06-08-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Jarsalla

Here are the pictures I promised.

The gobs of epoxy seen on these pictures have been sanded down smooth and the model have gotten some fresh paint on it. I'll post pictures later...

Last edited by Jarsalla; 06-08-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Jarsalla

Why do the pictures become so small eventhough they are 640x480???

EDIT: Pics show up now as they should

Last edited by Jarsalla; 06-03-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Don't know, I seperated them and now see them as larger on my PC.

Hate to hear about the crash, that plane looks like it sure has seen a whole lot of action!!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Jarsalla

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Don't know, I seperated them and now see them as larger on my PC.

Hate to hear about the crash, that plane looks like it sure has seen a whole lot of action!!
The plane is almost one-year-old and I have flown it in the summer and winter aswell.

Thanks for trying They look as they should when I post, but reduce in size when hit refresh. Must be the other website where they are linked from which causes this.

EDIT: Relocated the pictures to my own websapce and they seem to work just fine now
Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Jarsalla

Ready for take-off

Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Good job! Good luck with your flight..
Let us know how it goes..
Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Jarsalla

Hi,

It was rainy for almost a week, but I finally got to test fly the plane this Sunday after the crash and heres some footage.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

Not to many GWS Corsair threads around here. Hope you don't mind me jump'n on this one.

I picked up one on sale at Graves RC. Took a few months to decide to build it and a few more to finish it. Thought I'd post a couple of photos somewhere before I crash it.

Kit came incomplete missing all metal rods so I winged he build. (pardon pun) I sunk a couple of HTX500s in the wings and 900 for the tale. The elevator is held together by flat CF. Simple packing tape hinges. BP brushless motor up front. Whittled out the nose for a 3s 1450. Magnetic hatch. Hope she flies as good as she looks....which is debatable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3789.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	105980   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3790.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	105981  
Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

Welp...survived maiden. Bad landing on 2nd flight broke prop...Good day!