My favorite decade, what's yours? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

My favorite decade, what's yours?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 AM
Sabrehawk

Thumbs up My favorite decade, what's yours?

I dont know if it's the times we are in right now, or just missing the old days or what it is but lately I have been thinking much in the past.
And it seems there is one decade in our lives that sticks out, that we enjoyed more than the rest since and had the best of times.

For me, it was the 70's. Yep that was my decade, it had the best girls, the best music, the best movies and it to me was the last time I remember of that things in the world were under control. And I suppose, things in my own life seemed more in control and less stressful.
Love, that was the overriding theme. And we had the best love songs ever during that era. The ballads, the rock & roll and yes even disco.
Even though at the time I pretty much hated disco, I was a rock & roll musician myself then and had been in several different bands since the late 60's. So yeah, us rockers weren't happy bout disco at all.
It was "Disco sucks" for us.
But there was one particular song from the Bee Gees that I loved and for me transcended between the two genres with it's superb message of love, and became quite special to me as I had just such a love like whats spoken of in it.
That song of course is "How Deep is your Love?" And every time I hear it, im swept back to that time, and to her.
Who was she?...............her name was Lynda. A Go-go dancer I met while me and the guys in our band were hanging out for the saturday afternoon jam session that the area nightclubs did where other local bands would come on stage and just jam with the band that was playing the club that week.
But I didnt know she was a go-go dancer working there, that show had been over for some time before we arrived. She was seated at a table behind us, and then I head a little voice say "Hey, could I run barefoot through your hair?" My reply "As soon as you take them off" And I didnt find out she danced there till later that evening.
The rest is history, and was the best love I ever knew for the next four years.
I lost her eventually, but my heart has never forgotten her. Well I was surfing Youtube and ran accross the most excellent live performance by the Bee Gees, and their lovely hit "How Deep is your Love"
For you Lynda, I miss you.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTtr7xJbdA[/media]

So what was your favorite decade?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Cool story sabrehawk,I dont think I can top that

Last edited by Rolling Thunder; 05-12-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 PM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

Yea, for me it was the 80's as well. We got to see the explosion of MTV. The birth of the glam rock / hair bands. Just in your face turn it up loud. It was so cool.
-Andrew
Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

sabrehawk, youve likely opened up a can of worms that will take two and a half cans to get under control...that said
We likely will identify with that decade that allowed us to step out into life and enjoy whatever was available at that time. It is only looking at it historically than maybe we have to agree on a few things. "Maybe" being the key word here.
For me it was the sixties also. I was twelve going on and 22 coming out. thats a pretty big piece of growin up goin on. The music still hangs around today even if it is revamped as elevator music. (not many are going to get misty over a Bevo tune). Roy Orbison, Beatles, Stones, CCR, Dylan, where do you stop. Dont get me wrong, there were and still is excellent talent out there but the music then was unsynthesized, straight from the "axe".
Wanna talk about cars?? so Don Delorean steps into FOMOCO around 62 and goes to work on the Mustang. leaves Ford the year mustang was introduced, '64 and goes to work for GM. Tells his boss he needs three good guys and one of those LeMans for two weeks and Presto....GTO.
All preemmission and its taken 30 years, blowers, fuel injection, and what ever for anyone to come close to that performance that was accomplished with cubes and carbs.
Then there were the girls!!! Hair down just below the mini skirt hem line. Natural (no enhancement surgery for graduation in those days). Inhibitions were down and AIDS was just a bunch of letters thrown together.
Pro sports lacked the premadonna complex prevelant today...just a bunch of guys doing what they do well and marveling that they could get paid for it.
Yeah, I miss that period. If history is allowed to be presented accurately, generations to come will miss that time as well. My wife grew up in the 80's and 90's and laments not being around in that decade, cars, music etc. Last week she talked me into going to a custom rod and car show...love that woman

CC
Was I a hippy? no but I embraced their culture from a safe distance.
Sport
Life was simple, civil.
Well, I guess this has gone on just about long enough.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 PM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

capn chaos,

I just noticed where you are from. PM sent
Old 08-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

It is a little hard to pin down a single decade since I was in high school and college in two different decades. It would have to be the late 50's and early 60's. I guess if I had to pick one decade, it would have to be the 60's. The music was great and the world was a simpler place.

The shows on TV were wholesome and meth had not been brewed up yet. Playtex commercials had the models wearing the bras over their sweaters.

The bad guys did not have more and bigger guns than the good guys. Muscle cars were just being invented by the manufacturers.

Athletes played pro sports because they loved the sport, not the money, since they did not make a lot of money. They had never heard of steroids and made it on their ability.

Did I say that the music was great.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

The '60s for me. as well. Married in '63, great job right out of trade school, all those beautiful '50s cars available for between 1 week's to 1 month's pay, the new muscle cars just coming out, life was good. Rock'n'roll and folk music were strong, and real, not all electronic trickery. Our only invovlement in 'nam, here in Canada, was allowing objectors and draft dodgers in, so there really was no down side for us. I had more buying power then than now, too. My first house cost the equivalent of 2 year's pay; the same house would cost about 4 year's pay now! As capn chaos said above, the most memorable time, for most of us, will be that decade in which we became independent adults, stepping out into the "real world".
Old 08-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Peace, Love and Muscle Cars?

I'd have to say the sixties also. The best, most innovative music and by far, the best cars, both in design and (for their time) performance.
But I must take issue with Capn Chaos;

"Wanna talk about cars?? so Don Delorean steps into FOMOCO around 62 and goes to work on the Mustang. leaves Ford the year mustang was introduced, '64 and goes to work for GM. Tells his boss he needs three good guys and one of those LeMans for two weeks and Presto....GTO"

John Z DeLorean never worked for Ford and had nothing to do with the Mustang. His many other achievements are well-documented here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeLorean
DeLorean worked for Chrysler, Packard, then Studebaker up to the time of their merger with Packard. He went directly from there to GM in 1956, as assistant to Chief Engineer Pete Estes at Pontiac.
You may be thinking of Lee Iacocca. He was the Division head of Ford during the early 1960's and pushed the Mustang concept through to completion. The car was actually designed by Design Chief Joe Oros and Designers Phil Clark and John Najjar.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1965-f...prototypes.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/joe-oros.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_I
Both great cars, but different designers.
Ron
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM
sam94

Default Coff Coff

I dont wanna sound like a complete jerk, but it says in the writing follow up that we can only talk about electric flight, or RC stuff, not decades and that, but if i had to choose it would be the 21st centry
Old 08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Off Topic?

Hello Sam94, Welcome to Wattflyer!
Yes, this is an electric flight site and most of the Forums are dedicated to that subject and various sub-categories.
But, like most sites, there is an area where other (non-R/C) matters of mutual interest can be discussed. Off Topic is ours.
The only real no-no's are politics and religion, subjects which generally stir up heated debates with no resolution.
So, Members may post about cars, music and nearly anything else we're interested in, to see if others have similar viewpoints, hobbies or opinions.
Ron
Old 08-02-2009, 03:08 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

The 60's it has to be. I really think that I have been dead lucky. I was a child in the 50's when children were secure in the knowledge that they were children and knew their place. I was a teenager in the sixties and what a time that was to be a teenager in Britain and go to college. This ment that I could bring up my own children in the 70's and 80's when parents were still allowed to be parents and your chidren respected you as such. Now in the appropriately named noughties I can sit back as the grumpy old coot and shake my head at the world. True contentment.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 PM
park
Clear !

I'll take the 70's everything was straight forward and simple. Have yíall noticed something, everyone is picking the decade when we were young! I enjoy every coming year but life gets more complicated as the years pass.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:50 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Thanks Sky sharkster for helping clairfy. Delorean was not employed at Ford...some of his design efforts were incorporated via defection of engineers and or unrealized designs sold to lincoln division. I, in error, had linked them much closer....Either way. The cars were great...and still are.

CC
Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
max-nix
max-nix

Wink My Favorite Decade?

I have seen many decades come and go and I can truthfully say this one (2000-2009) is not my favorite!

Last edited by max-nix; 08-06-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Defining "this one"
Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Sabrehawk

"This one" meaning the one I refer to,(70's) or "this one" as in the one we are in now?

Heh, ironic that I brought up the 70's at this time, I was at the store last night getting a few things and at the checkout I see that People magazine has a special issue celebrating that era.
And some pics on the cover, and there is the Bee Gees, Farrah Fawcett, and some others. I loved that classic shot of Farrah on the skateboard.

Yeah she was the hottie of the 70's, doont think I know any of my friends who didnt have a poster of her on their B/R wall.

But back on music, I have to touch on my all time favorite group, The Eagles. I dont think there's ever been another band I liked and respected, and relished their music more.
I also think they were of the best when it comes to live performances.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spTtowVTVLg[/media]
Old 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

Well the way I see it we all don't have much of a choice. We grew up in the decade we grew up in. All but 2 of my grade school years were in the 80s. That decade, in my impressionable life, would establish my foundation of who I am. I like to say I'm stuck in the 80s. (closest to old computer font I could find). I would say too, the 80s were simpler than today. I think most of us would say the same thing about any decade they grew up in. The 90s where way more important I suppose. College, 1st jobs, real relationships, marriage, 1st mortgage. Yah..I'll take the 80s.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM
C130 Load

Might be we remember the most of our times when we were "Experimenting" Teens to 30 that brings back the best memories. After that for most it was working and raising kids which have many good memories also but nothing like the first this and the first that of our youth and as we get older our mind brings us back to that time when we basically had "No Worries". (Hadn't learned how to yet)
For me it was the 60's,,, ah yes
Old 08-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Sabrehawk

Well yup, we all have one era we wnet through where we still had our youth, our health, and life was still simple cause it hadnt had a chance to get complicated yet.
Thats probably the case with me, cause I didnt marry till 1980, my daughter was born in in 83'.

So yes indeed, I was footloose and fancy free during the 70's, and I was a musician and in a band. So getting the girls was no problemo, and was just having the time of my life.
Drugs, sex, and rock & roll. It didnt get any better than that.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Sabrehawk

Thumbs up

Well, as I said I was a rocker and disco with the excepton of a few BeeGee's tunes didnt cut it for us rock & rollers.
And then there was that one celibration of music and peace and love..............you geussed it, none other than WOODSTOCK!

My favorite was Santana's "Soul Sacrifice". And there hasnt been anything since that quite rocked me like Carlos's amazing riffs, and MickaŽl Shrieve maiking them drums talk.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko[/media]
Old 08-15-2009, 01:24 AM
thomdoe

ok I'm calling 1963 to 1975
Old 08-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Sabrehawk

Thumbs up

Yup thats probably closer to it, cause the 60's was where rock & roll was really coming into is own, and yet still pure as it's roots in blues.

Oh man, just stumbled onto this from Deep Purple, go gramps go baby! Wow, still bringing down the house!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvYI...eature=related