The good old days 40 Year Old version... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Humor Have some funny jokes or stories? All is fair game except political, religious or too explicit.

The good old days 40 Year Old version...

Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Angry The good old days 40 Year Old version...

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning

Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crud like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a dang Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have "The Internet". If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the dang library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our booties! No where was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the dang record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talked over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

There were no CD players! We had (8 track) tape decks in our car.. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone!

We didn't have fancy crud like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your booty and walk over to the TV to change the channel! There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning.. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK
for cartoons, you spoiled little rats!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted
five minutes back in the 60's and 70's!

Regards,
The over 40 Crowd
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Amen, brother!!!

And when we walked to school (barefoot, no less) in the winter, in the snow, we had to wrap barbed wire around our feet so we got traction.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

It's called advancement.

Old people...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

"they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning

Uphill... barefoot..."
Yeah, uphill both ways.... and with one eye tied behind my back. lol!!
You got that right Don, there were three tv stations (and one tv) so if you didnt like the local news or Bonanza your were out a luck...
I might add there werent many obese kids then. We all looked like refugees from a concentration camp, anywhere you went you got there by bicycle (one speed cruiser). Flight in those days centered around a Cox P-40 1/2a control line plane and quillow stick and tissue rubber powered Piper Cub.
Okay...time to tuck the soap box away and get back to work.

CC
Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Heck--I remember single channel R/C---wind up the escapement rubber band and start the engine, and let her fly. 1 pulse and hold for right and two for left. If you had the "advanced" escapement, then it was three to cycle the motor control.

No elevator control......do a loop? hold right turn for about three times around and then quick give left and over she went!!!

Anybody else start this way?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by Heli Jim View Post
Anybody else start this way?
Nope...

Don did say 40's crowd... Not 90's!!

I'll get me coat....
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Man there is more truth in this than meets the eyes. I got mine involved with the outdoors when they were little one's just to get them a way from the one eyed babysitter (tv). All three of them still get out of the house and fish, go camping. Funny never see a kid doing model rockets or flying a C/l plane around here, to bad was a found memory of mine growing up.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 AM
buzkil
For love of flight

And when cable tv finaly did arrive.... you still had to get off of your butt and turn the knob..."click,click,click" only the rich people could afford the box with the remote with HBO. MTV back then was the bomb. And cartoons on Saturday? yeah, I remember thouse......only after I got finnished with all my "CHORS" and "YARD WORK" buy then my parents told me "to go outside and play because I wasn't going to hang inside the house all day!"
I'd save up my $5.00 a week allowance to go buy a $.75 balsa wood rubber band airplane that usually broke about the third time it would fly. Had a couple of rockets, C/L planes and a cox flying saucer (loved that thing!) and plastic model airplanes. RC!?! not in my house.... can you say "cheap parents"? But I understood, carter was in office and I had no idea what inflation was, all I knew was that my mom could sure make a penney scream!! But all in all I sure do miss thouse "GOOD OLD DAYS!"
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

You got it Right Don Heck, I remember watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show in Black and White, and having to change the Channels by hand, click, click, click, I used to love the warm glow and heat of the Tubes in the TV that you had to take to Thrifties, to test when the TV did not work anymore, and test the tubes, Ok I am showing my age now take care, Chellie
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 AM
one_more_flight
i'm lost

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post

There were no MP3's or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the dang record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talked over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

There were no CD players! We had (8 track) tape decks in our car.. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone!

you started talking about music there, i wasnt there for 8tracks (im not that old) but i was there for the cassettes, you put the cassette in and music starts playing untill it reaches the end, and when it does you have to flip the cassette around. my old stereo didnt rewind, so i had to listen to a song to get to the next one, or manually rewind it with a pencil... of chorse tho every 20 or so plays my stereo got tired of music and started "chewing" up the tape, so you could literaly hear your music bein eaten, and by the time you push the stop button, 2 of your favorite songs have been eaten alive...

just my 5 cents

mike
Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by one_more_flight View Post
you started talking about music there, i wasnt there for 8tracks (im not that old) but i was there for the cassettes, you put the cassette in and music starts playing untill it reaches the end, and when it does you have to flip the cassette around. my old stereo didnt rewind, so i had to listen to a song to get to the next one, or manually rewind it with a pencil... of chorse tho every 20 or so plays my stereo got tired of music and started "chewing" up the tape, so you could literaly hear your music bein eaten, and by the time you push the stop button, 2 of your favorite songs have been eaten alive...

just my 5 cents

mike

You would have loved 4 track tapes Mike you could never have enough scotch tape Take care, Chellie
Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

Though short the 40 mark by 2 years....all still applies.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 AM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

Don, I'll be the big 40 next year. That was the most truthfull thing I have read in a long time. Too funny.
-Andrew
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Arkitexas
Lone Star Flyer

MUST....NOT....TELL....STORIES....OF....MY....YOUT H......ARRRGGH!!.

As a kid in Alabama in the 1940's:

The garbage man had a mule and wagon. But the wagon did have car tires. The "engine" pollution smelled terrible and drew flies.

Yeah, we walked a long way to school, but everybody did.

We learned to write with a metal quill pen and bottled ink. It was a messy pain.

Ball point pens were a new novelty and were expensive.

There was a polio scare every summer and my mother wouldn't let us go to the public swimming pool. So, we swam in Papio Creek around the train trestle.

We had radio but no TV. TV had been invented but Alabama wasn't a leading edge market.

Air conditioning was something the movie houses and department stores had, not homes. Besides, I shivered like a leaf every time I went into the cold air. They called it "refrigerated air".

Even Cadillacs didn't have AC. You opened the wind wings and blew all the papers out the window. My dad would put a block of ice in a pan for my mother to put her feet on.

We mowed and trimmed lawns for 75 cents (in the 1950's) and we provided the mower! Edging was done with hand clippers since the weed eater had not been invented.

To turn up the thermostat in the winter you went out to the shed for more coal.

yadda, yadda, yadda

Do the kids have it softer now? I don't know.

We didn't have dealers pushing drugs in the school.

We didn't worry about AIDS.

We didn't have a policeman assigned to our school.

Obesity wasn't a problem.

We spent most of our days at home not in daycare centers.

Movies weren't loaded with brutal bloodbath violence.

We could shower as long as we wanted without violating a water ban.

The government wasn't designing toilets that won't flush.

When we worked we got paid, when we didn't work we got nothing. Now if you don't work you can get money and if you do work you get taxed.

Hamburgers were 15 cents, now they are $6.25 at Burger King. The economy has NOT inflated 4100% in 50 years. And NO, the burger is not that much better tasting.

You didn't have to carry an ID with you everywhere you went.

Bad language was frowned upon, now it is "normal". You can now speak in public words that aren't even allowed on this forum.

"Breaking Bad" producers would have been put in jail for making a hero out of a chemistry teacher turned drug dealer. Now it receives an Emmy Award. Gee, what a role model.

There isn't an honest news source available. They are ALL heavily biased left or right. Who do the kids believe? The internet blogs? They are as unbaised as CNN, FOX, MSNBC, or the NY Times.

I think that todays kids don't have it any harder, they just have it different. We all have adversity to deal with as we grow up. But after all, that's what growing up is all about... learning to deal with life's obstacles.

Rick
Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

I guess being past 50 I remember it being easier. I could smoke in high-school ( I mean we had a smoking area for students at school), brought my rifle to school on Thursdays for Olympic rifle team practice. I had a record player that reproduced music infinitely better than any CD today (MP3s are awful). I actually had a shot at being a musician, a few of us even got recording contracts or were studio musicians. I could get drunk at 18 and smoke at 16 legally. On twice minimum wage I could afford my own apartment and a brand new car. The Vietnam War ended followed by along period of relative peace. I could use honest free speech without fear of lawsuits or imprisonment. I could watch the ladies walk by (even whistle) without being called a stalker or potential rapist. I never worried about unemployment, everybody wanted skilled labor in the US.

Stopping now before I start to pine for the good old days.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

"Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our booties! No where was safe!"

Amen! Neighborhood watch ment exactly that...everyone in the neighborhood watched each others kids. When you messed up, "Mrs. Jones" would smack your butt, and then when you got home, you would get it again. Then...."wait till your Father gets home" kicks in... 3 times for the same offense. But.... you didn't do it again did you?

I remember like it was yesterday, being 7 years old and saying "God!" in my mothers house. That was one of her rules, you don't take Gods name in vein in HER HOUSE. I said it a few days prior and she gave me a verbal warning. (one and only warning). I was walking through the living room and my Mother was vacuming the floor. I had forgotten something and said "God!" and turned around to go back to my room and get it. The next thing that I knew, my mother had knocked me to the floor and wore my rear end out with the cord to that vacume cleaner. Of course, while she hit me, she told me why I was getting the beating. 1 word per hit. "Didn't" "I" "Tell" "You" "Not" "to" "use" "the" "Lords" "name" "in" "vein" "in" "MY" "HOUSE"?

Some would say that it was abuse, but I learned from it, and NEVER repeated it. When I was 35, my mother passed, and she had never heard me say "God!" in her presence. Not 1 time. I have never forgotten the lesson I learned.

But honestly, I can't complain I guess....because of the lack of discipline that society has decided children need....I have paid for my car, my home, and my toys. You see, I am a Correctional Officer and I depend on bad kids to make my living...and business is BOOMING! The worse the economy is, the more secure my job gets. The more parents don't pay attention to what little Johnny and Suzy are doing, the more crowded the prison gets. The more crowded, the more dangerous. The more dangerous, the more I get paid. You see....bigger and better toys for me! I know that that whole thing sounded bad, but think about it...think hard. What is your son and daughter doing? Who are they doing it with? Are you sure that you know where they are? Quit being your childs friend and start being their parent. I'd love to be out of a job... that means that it's a safer place for my kids.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

And for you sneaky parents out there...Verizon Wireless has a service called Chaparone. It will give you the exact location of your childs cell phone and rate of travel. Get it. It's worth the extra $ to know where your child is. Don't tell them that you have it. If you catch them in something...someone saw them there and told you. It's not that you don't trust them...you love them and don't trust everyone else.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
park
Clear !

Originally Posted by dbcisco View Post
I guess being past 50 I remember it being easier. I could smoke in high-school ( I mean we had a smoking area for students at school), brought my rifle to school on Thursdays for Olympic rifle team practice. I had a record player that reproduced music infinitely better than any CD today (MP3s are awful). I actually had a shot at being a musician, a few of us even got recording contracts or were studio musicians. I could get drunk at 18 and smoke at 16 legally. On twice minimum wage I could afford my own apartment and a brand new car. The Vietnam War ended followed by along period of relative peace. I could use honest free speech without fear of lawsuits or imprisonment. I could watch the ladies walk by (even whistle) without being called a stalker or potential rapist. I never worried about unemployment, everybody wanted skilled labor in the US.

Stopping now before I start to pine for the good old days.
Good points, I was thinking along the same line. Every generation is going to have it's good and bad.
I was a teen in the 60 / 70's and kept my shotgun on the gun rack visible through the back window of my P.U. Would go shoot squirrels after school. Poor kids can't do stuff like that anymore.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 PM
wthall

yep, wind the hell outa the band.....hope you had the elevator right so it wouldn't stall or go staight in
Then came pulse!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

I forgot to mention that with all the guns and drugs around in the 60's and 70's, the worst violence I ever heard of was a fist fight. Something drastically wrong with far too many kids today, it certainly isn't the availability of guns and drugs, regardless of what the morons... oops, experts say.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:22 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dbcisco View Post
I forgot to mention that with all the guns and drugs around in the 60's and 70's, the worst violence I ever heard of was a fist fight. Something drastically wrong with far too many kids today, it certainly isn't the availability of guns and drugs, regardless of what the morons... oops, experts say.

Steroids in the food! Our kids are suffering from "roid rage". My theory anyway. Look at the size of our kids. My kids are HUGE! And I'm not talking fat either.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:11 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

'Roids may be part of the problem, but MSG is the real culprit here, it is in EVERYTHING. Read an article recently, which explained how (never obese) lab mice and rats become obese: they inject them at birth with MSG, and they become way fat, then try to find "cures" for their obesity! So with MSG in all ones' food, how can one miss getting at the least very fat??

When I went to grade school (40s), the "fat kid" would be looked upon as slightly underweight; the rest of us (wartime rationing) looked like skeletons. The food industry uses this crap for "taste enhancement": properly seasoned food needs no other enhancement, trust me...
Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Voltron

In the 60's we used to bring our guns to school to refinish them in shop class. Could you imagine someone trying to do that now?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I remember haveing a motorcycle before a car, I did alot of grouse and rabbit hunting. Used to strap a shotgun to my bike in a soft case and go off hunting. If a cop saw that today I would be pulled over and cuffed. My youngest son hunts with me I tell him how it use to be he can't beleave it. Yup[ use to bring the gun to school when I had a car not a problem. There is a lot of anger in today's. It's no wonder the laws have changed so much, protect us from ourselves.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I'm only 28 and I used to ride my bike to go hunting with my 20ga in a soft case.

and I blame obesity on HFCS and MSG.