Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Radd's Graduate's Video Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

Talking Radd's Graduate's Video Thread

A few years back I stumbled upon Radd's School of Rotary Flight, it all sounded quite reasonable so I picked up a heli and entered the course. I have to thank Radd and his method for helping to make my learning process as pain free as I could possibly imagine.

I haven't gotten any new videos in a while, but thanks to Radd's way of thinking I've been continuously advancing in skills rapidly. Basically, going through his courses made me realize that the more thoroughly I learn each phase, the faster overall that I advance. Where if I were actually trying to push and learn fast, I would take shortcuts ending up learning slower, and breaking more parts.

I figure the best way to show him thanks, is to show what us graduates of his school have been able to accomplish , so here's my videos:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565351 Maxir Autorotations (download version)
http://media.putfile.com/Maxir-Autor...ime-on-purpose Maxir Autorotations (streaming version)

http://media.putfile.com/Maxir-Onboa...ceway-Outdoors MaxirCamV1 onboard my SE over some businesses Maxir blue SE, Eflite 370 1360Kv, 20 tooth pinion, PHX-10 Gov, "Electric Power" 1000mah 20C, GY401, S3110 tail, CF blades, SE paddles

http://media.putfile.com/Maxir-Onboa...iew-Playfields MaxirCamV1 onboard my SE over a local park Maxir blue SE, Eflite 370 1360Kv, 20 tooth pinion, PHX-10 Gov, "Electric Power" 1000mah 20C, GY401, S3110 tail, CF blades, SE paddles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvbtkvwtP4 Low quality streaming aerobatics. Maxir #2 base kit, 2208/26, 18 tooth pinion, PHX-10 Gov, "Electric Power" 1000mah 20C, GY240, HS50 tail, plastic blades, no oneway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczLmquJyqU Low quality streaming 3D flight. Maxir blue SE, Eflite 370 1360Kv, 20 tooth pinion, PHX-10 Gov, 5v ParkBEC, TP Prolite 1320, GY401, DS3110 hybrid tail, CF blades, SE paddles

http://www.public.gothere.uk.com/Kai...ctice%20Hi.wmv (right click, save as, 30MB) 640x480 30fps 3D flight Maxir blue SE, Axi 2208/20, 15 tooth pinion, PHX-10 Gov, 5v ParkBEC, TP Prolite 1320, GY401, DS3110 hybrid tail, CF blades, SE paddles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1nArQli_sY Unedited MaxirCamV2 onboard during autorotations. Maxir #2 base kit, 2208/26, 18 tooth pinion, PHX-10 Gov, "Electric Power" 1000mah 20C, GY240, HS50 tail, plastic blades, oneway gear, tail upgrades

All of these are more than a few weeks old, and I've actually advanced much further since they were shot (just have problems getting vids very often).

I've posted these vids on other forums, but felt a simple post saying thanks to Radd wouldn't be quite as much as he deserved for how many people he's helped learn to fly. I've even suggested Radd's method to people countless times and everyone who stayed the course is still flying helis and having a blast .

-Kai
Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Radd
bald guy

Eron...believe it or not...thats humbling......thanks.....
Old 10-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

I saw your post on learning nose in, and realized I had to say thanks in my own way.

In the past year I've taken to tutoring people on learning micro helis (tuning and flying), and realize how great the feeling is to see people advance because of your direct influence and advice, I figure videos were the easiest way for me to show my gratitude to what you made possible.

Hopefully I'll have some videos from some of the people I've helped (who also went through your course to learn). This isn't just a thanks from me, but also by proxy from those who've benefited from your approach that I've been fortunate enough to witness firsthand .

My brother who moved to Australia about 6 years ago, recently visited and got hooked on helis on my simulator and a PicooZ (like me, he's had an interest in helis for 2 decades but didn't have an entry point until now). I gave him some suggestions on how to learn using your method and he went back home (we've corresponded by email a few times helping him decide what to get). He called me up this weekend to let me know that he had just finished your courses, and is now hovering out complete battery packs tail in. Of course, he asked me about how to move on to nose in hover, then the very next day I found your nose in hover thread here .

Talk about perfect timing.

-Kai

Last edited by Kai_Shiden; 10-31-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Radd
bald guy

It would definately give me the big head..but.. I would still love to yours and other guys flying videos...( hovering newbies tooo..)

posts like this not only prove that you can learn to fly well and fast without crashing all the time but encourage those that just dont believe its possible to learn at all..In the early years we actually had a friend that was 80 years old flying micros...

I'd love to see more...if anyone would care to post....
Old 11-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Gino

Default My intermediate flight

Ok, I'll start the trail of newbie videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJbeid6RtU

Last edited by Gino; 11-02-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 AM
t_burley

I would like to say I too am now a RADD graduate. after flying 80" plus warbirds for the past 6 years, I just needed to get a Heli for the house. I picked up the Blade CX, and have been flying the heck out of it. I then tried the RADD method of nose in, and after 3 battery packs, it worked for me. actually once you break it all down in small steps, its funny how it all comes together, and you wonder geez, why didnt I think of that :-)

thanks for the help
Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 AM
Gino

6 years with planes. You may want to look at ccpm or fixed pitch helis. They are more challenging.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:31 AM
t_burley

Originally Posted by Gino View Post
6 years with planes. You may want to look at ccpm or fixed pitch helis. They are more challenging.
actually Gino I have been looking at them now. I got the BX just to mess around in the house. working with eye hand stuff. but now I want to do something more am ready for something a little more challenging. so I have been looking at some of the other electrics on the market now.

I still love my heavy wing loaded warbirds, but now have this whirlybird bug thats hard to shake
Old 11-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Gino

Good for you. Keep us posted.I too am back in the air. Having traced my prob this week to a stick rotor assembly. I just slapped the old one in and it is good as new. Better I should say, that sticky rotor was brand new hehe.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:48 AM
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

Oooh... Gino... nice find (bad for the *new* assembly)... w00t!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Gino

Well, autopsy is over. The offending blade grip felt gritty. I suspect bad bearings from pressing the spindle out for repairs. Or a binding paddle control link. I feel strongly about the bearings. This affects pitch which ultimately affects tracking. And that has wobble written all over it.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Alrighty, I'll post another noob video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgx53Ot3c0

I doubt I'd be this far if it wasn't for Radd's School of Flight. It's the bee's knees! Or should I say, it's the CP's knees? Maybe it's both!

I'm still confined to the garage, so I haven't been brave enough to try anything really fancy (figure 8's, flying in circles, etc). You can see in the video where I got pretty close to whacking the camera, though, so I guess I'm braver than I used to be. I just wish I could get a few rain-free days with little or no wind!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

Here's my most recent vid (from a short flight today), it was not the best visibility conditions (only about 30 minutes before sundown), the camera made it look a little brighter than it really was. Just a few flights before this one I totaled in my Eco8, loss of orientation and for some reason it didn't respond to up elevator commands and went in from 150ft straight nose down (2 of the cyclic servos were stripped but I can't tell if the rear one I suspect to be responsible for the lack of elevator response happened before or after the crash).

No music overlayed on this one because the audio came out good enough (even with a car idleing right by the cameraman) that you can hear the headspeed and motor through many of the manuevers. Too bad the cameraman didn't use the zoom though, LOL.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598771

-Kai
Old 11-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Radd
bald guy

excellent flying ,,,very proud dude!!....

now...please put a quart of oil in your friends car...lol
Old 11-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

ROTFL, I already drove him around to get a new battery for it last winter, oil is his own job :p. Now, if I could only teach him to use the zoom on my camera .

-Kai
Old 11-19-2006, 04:44 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden View Post
Here's my most recent vid (from a short flight today), it was not the best visibility conditions (only about 30 minutes before sundown), the camera made it look a little brighter than it really was. Just a few flights before this one I totaled in my Eco8, loss of orientation and for some reason it didn't respond to up elevator commands and went in from 150ft straight nose down (2 of the cyclic servos were stripped but I can't tell if the rear one I suspect to be responsible for the lack of elevator response happened before or after the crash).

No music overlayed on this one because the audio came out good enough (even with a car idleing right by the cameraman) that you can hear the headspeed and motor through many of the manuevers. Too bad the cameraman didn't use the zoom though, LOL.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598771

-Kai
Nice flying, looks good, you been at this for a while I would guess! Good job.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:35 PM
patternrules

Default Thanks Radd For Making Heli's Safer

I have always been leary of heli's just because of the close proximity and they appear to be fairly unstable.
A little background is in order, I bought a second hand heli back in the 80's no gyro 60 size mainly because I had everything to go in it from my pattern planes, and it was cheap ($100) needless to say without help and my true love for pattern after a few weeks of trying in the yard I sold it for what I paid for it. I just didn't want to invest extra money into it. This was when I lived in Houston TX.
Sense I moved back to Indiana 1992 I always made trips to Houston every 6 months to visit freinds that live in Pearland TX. In, I beleive it was 2003 I would go to Tom Bass Park to practice with my pattern plane, I had been worned of much heli traffic there by some freinds, nothing really bad just to be careful. I'm sure by now many will see where this is going I was there the week before the tragic accident with Ron Kyle, needless to say this left a fear in me of heli's.
MY good freind Andrew Jesky fly's heli's to relax from his competetion schedule mainly TREX, which got me to thinking maybe I can fly these little heli's in my yard (very small with trees and power lines) so I got the Blade cp pro as did a couple of flying buddies at my field. I done many searches and found the RADD system, it made alot of sense to me, so we all done as RADD explained, and the learning went very fast, I still feel there is potenial safety issues with heli's but to me RADD has made the pilots and spectators much safer than before his system.
I know some won't agree with me but to start out with these small electric heli's with wooden blades is a very safe way to learn and inexpensive, alone with the RADD system of learning, so with that I say thank you RADD for making this much safer for everyone.
I'm very proud that RADD has given this to the heli community for free he could have made a video and sold it but he didn't, not enough could be said for RADD.
Again THanks Radd
Steve Maxwell
P.S. may HH just came back from warranty got to go fly. Have fun and be safe.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Radd
bald guy

Patternrules...your welcome...if you really want to make me happy...Lets see a video of you and your friends....

It doesnt have to be anything more than a hover?

P.S...what I'm proudest of is something I feel bad about ( ??)... I know alot of guys crash less because of the lessons....and that means LHS dont sell as many replacement parts....in other words...Radd is badd for business....however...that has had a two sided effect....less failures means more flying... more flying means more new pilots to the sport....more new pilots means more choices in new helicopters....more helicopters mean less prices for helicopter kits...less prices means more pilots...more pilots means more replacement parts...and......Hey?...but?.....didn't I just say I caused less re-placement parts?.....I'm confused...ZZzzzzz nevermind.....
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 AM
patternrules

Default OK you got it

Originally Posted by Radd View Post
Patternrules...your welcome...if you really want to make me happy...Lets see a video of you and your friends....

It doesnt have to be anything more than a hover?

P.S...what I'm proudest of is something I feel bad about ( ??)... I know alot of guys crash less because of the lessons....and that means LHS dont sell as many replacement parts....in other words...Radd is badd for business....however...that has had a two sided effect....less failures means more flying... more flying means more new pilots to the sport....more new pilots means more choices in new helicopters....more helicopters mean less prices for helicopter kits...less prices means more pilots...more pilots means more replacement parts...and......Hey?...but?.....didn't I just say I caused less re-placement parts?.....I'm confused...ZZzzzzz nevermind.....

This was my 4th day note the stop and walk to replace.
http://media.putfile.com/4-th-day-for-newbie
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

Hmm, while I love my micro helis, I gotta admit flying something a little larger is pretty darn fun...

This is my LAHeli Sniper, it's the same size as an Eco8, but I'm recording 920W peak inputs into it, this vid has some Eagletree gauges overlayed on it which is really sweet for figuring out where I need to improve my collective/cyclic management: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619044 (it moves so fast I think my next "gadget" purchase is going to have to be a radar gun, LOL)

My Eco8 died a very horrible death before I got any video of it (the rear CCPM servo toasted in flight in the middle of a stationary flip), but it was pretty fun as well. There wasn't much recognizeable as a heli after it plummeted 150ft into the pavement nose first .

-Kai
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EagleTree Gauge Overlay 12-31-06 MJPEG Large 2_0002.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	21269  

Last edited by Kai_Shiden; 01-04-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Decided to add a screenshot from the video
Old 01-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Radd
bald guy

All it takes is one little problem and down she goes...but that what seperates the pilots from spectators...sorry dude....
Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

Originally Posted by Radd View Post
All it takes is one little problem and down she goes...but that what seperates the pilots from spectators...sorry dude....
LOL, don't worry too much, I should have known better about the Eco8, I traded a friend a modded BCP for it and didn't bother to change out the servo gears (6 year old HS85's, I should have realized the plastic gears would be brittle at that age, it was his first heli and he traded it and a complete Eco8 kit to rebuild it to me).

On the upside, Eco8 kits are pretty inexpensive and many of the alloy goodies survived the crash (Eco8 with plastic frames is like one huge crumple zone, ROTFL). I'm enjoying the Sniper, but figure I would like another heli of similar size that's a bit more relaxing as well (it was kind of cool to tool around with the Eco8 for >20 minutes per charge, LOL).

-Kai
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Radd
bald guy

I have tons of ECO-8's...In they're time they were the mack daddy of electric helicopters...I wish Ikarus would have had the foresight to do V2 and V3's but all they did was Eco-7's...bummer....now I wish Norbert only to go bankrupt

I'm not really bitter am I??...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

LOL, I was lucky to sort of miss Norbert's Titanic destruction of the Ikarus BBS, one day I went there and all was fine, then weeks later I went back and it was a ghost town. I only got to hear about it after the dust had settled.

They have the Eco8 Royal coming out someday :p, but that's just far too little too late. I do really like the size however, that 1m rotor is about perfect for transporting even in smaller vehicles. That and they can run on battery packs that don't completely empty the wallet, LOL (admittedly I ran mine on 4s2p 4400mah lipos :o).

-Kai
Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Radd
bald guy

I think the first thing they should have done was shorten the over height..the frame and mainshaft is too tall for the strength of the overall heli...and makes it hard to flip and roll crisply..but...no sense beating a dead horse...I'm putting most of my ECO's in body shells and flying scale with them..

Quick Reply: Radd's Graduate's Video Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10637 seconds with 16 queries