Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Flying Styro Me-262!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Much progress on the 262b. 75% done. Had to destroy the other one to get the equipment out, oh well. This one is much nicer.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:00 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
Much progress on the 262b. 75% done. Had to destroy the other one to get the equipment out, oh well. This one is much nicer.
All ready for test flight now, still needs some detailing, decals, and paint, but good to go. Will test at Liberty Bell Jet Rally tomorrow evening.
The LG takes time to do right, but the end effect is really great, really scale, with all the struts and covers and such.
I detailed both cockpits, but the front of the front one needed to be cut out to get the battery in and out.
I need to do another round of detailing, the radio antennas, paint the pilots, make up the Matreze antennae, etc. Looking forward to that process.
Made the ducting out of acetate. Perfect. Cut the heat-shrink off the heat sink on the esc's, and cut a hole in the ducting, epoxies the ESCs to the ducting with the heat sinks sitting inside the ducting for cooling.
Put it out on the taxiway last night to tweak the nosegear...it REALLY scoots!
A steerable nosegear would be a good comprimise between retracts and fixed gear.
Oh, one problem...somehow I broke a gear on the rudder servo during construction, now it's major surgery to get it out, or fly without rudder...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img26739.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	14969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img26738.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	14970  
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

The gear looks fantastic! Heck the whole thing looks great! Personally I like the singleseater slightly better as thats what I remember seeing in all those WWII books I used to read growing up.
Bummer on the servo....It would probably have helped provide alittle steering despite the fixed nosegear.
Good luck on the maiden, I hope the scale gear doesn't cause too much drag inflight.
Regards,
Bruce
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

Hey Easy! Check the ME-262 thread at RCG (Electric Warbirds)A problem has shown up in that the recommended motors are pulling very excessive current. like 30A each instead of 19-20A each. Seems theres a discrepancy in the sample motors Hiflyer tested with and the ones they are selling.
Better yet, ampcheck yours! The off the shelf highampdraw motors should provide a huge boost in power...if they don't burn up!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I repaired the servo, she is ready for flight test. With a way forward CG this time!
The motors, well, I have 30a Jeti ESCs, I guess we will see if there is a problem! The motors seem to be putting out VERY well, and the fans themselves are very nice.
I hear you on the gear drag, should be okay, but I bet the performance really improves when I hand-launch it without gear...
One way or the other, she will be airborne this week...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Bmiller
EDF Member

Great! you were able to repair the servo!
Good luck on the 2seat maiden flight!
I think you'll be the first to get one of these F/S ME-262s in the air!

Bruce
Old 08-07-2006, 10:41 PM
t_burley

good luck on the new maiden Curtis. I hope to finish mine this week. I went with the XF-Fan 5100 motors from H/L . I am getting some good numbers from them with the XF fans, but will probably use 2 2100 LiPo's. I have my motors, tubes and such all done in the nacelles. I need to attach to the wings now and fair them in.

Evan Q has 2 flights on his in Texas so far with the stock setup as shown from H/L and says it has plenty of power with it.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:17 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Same setup as mine. I am not concerned about the reported extra amp draw from the motors, as I have 30 amp ESCs. We shall see. Today looks good for a test flight.
I was talking to Uncle Joe Balabon, who has pretty extensive experience with 262s, and the CG should be very conservative. Keep that in mind. What did Evan get for CG?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:33 PM
t_burley

Same setup as mine. I am not concerned about the reported extra amp draw from the motors, as I have 30 amp ESCs. We shall see. Today looks good for a test flight.
I was talking to Uncle Joe Balabon, who has pretty extensive experience with 262s, and the CG should be very conservative. Keep that in mind. What did Evan get for CG?
Curtis he went with the 80 mm or whatever the change was. I had read here and on RCG about the CG change, and let him know about that before his test flight. the CG as he changed it worked out great.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

The CG issue was a heartbreaker, had to build a whole new aircraft. These things happen....

Here is a shot of mine by Uncle Joe:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0512.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	15193  
Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Did he hand launch or use the gear?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Bmiller
EDF Member

You got me going ET! That picture did it! gotta start building mine now.

I put a himax2025/5300 in one of my XF fans and spun it with 2S as thats what was nearby. I love the quiet running! Especially quiet with the intake lip which also added noticable thrust. I've decided to use them instead of the Alfafans so I'll do some shopping for motors. Gonna use 4S 2500 lipos as I have 2 packs looking for a home and they can handle 50A.
KV needs to be between 3800-4200.
4200kv is easy to get in 20mm sizes but I was hoping for something closer or just under 4000kv, BUT I can't seem to find any other kv in that range except for hacker B20s which are very pricey.
Hyperions are 22mm,too big in diameter to fit the fanunit.
I'll have to go with himax2025/4200s or Park370s unless someone knows
of another 20mm motor w/3800-4000kv.......

Bruce
Old 08-09-2006, 03:42 AM
t_burley

Did he hand launch or use the gear?
Curtis he hand launched it. He and I both did not build ours with the gear, nor cockpit parts. his first launch wasnt too successfull. the second one was. he hand launched it out at more of a level angle of attack, and flew quite well from there

BTW gotta love Uncle Joe's pics
Old 08-09-2006, 04:15 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

If its the same Uncle Joe I'm thinking about, he always takes great pics!
Well I stopped by a LHS and pickedup 2 himax2025/4200 on the way home so nevermind the motor question! Also got a lightenna for it. Hope it works well, I've never used one before. I just need one more 2mm prop adapter that'll fit the rotor. The ones I had ordered from H-L are for 2.3mm shafts.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:34 AM
JackD

Bruce,

Why do you choose the 2025/4200 route instead of the 5300???
if you gou to 4200, don't you need 4s to get the right RPM's? can 3s batts move the 4200 fast enough

I have a bunch of 2100 3s batteries, so I'm planning on using 5300's. (as I'm using in the Alfa fans). Do you think the XF fan will take it?

I'm still trying to figure out this EDF stuff!!!

Thanks
Jack
Old 08-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

I AM going 4S! I have two 4S 2500 packs that need a home.
4S/4200kv gets me higher rpm with same ampdraw vs 3S/5300kv.
My ampdraw should be around 45A for the 2 fans.
The 2025/5300s on 3S was about 45A w/ about 5oz LESS thrust per fan.
I figured this stuff out using a website fan calculator but had to jink the numbers around since it didn't list the 2025 series. I'm alittle foggy on the exact 5300kv numbers...I'll recheck it.
I think the XF fans can take it, The rotor looks pretty strong.
ET will find out since those 4700 motors must be nearer to 5900kv to pull about 30amps each!
Bruce
Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

I went back and recalculated based on the alfafans which I know very well.
4S 2500lipos
4200kv
22.062Amps
579.9gm thrust
56,517rpm

3S 2500lipos
5300kv
23.782Amps
497.8gm thrust
52,364rpm

So more like 3oz thrust difference, not 5oz.
These numbers are not written in stone! Like I stated, I had to jink the numbers around with that calculator, But based on my experience, it should be very close.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 PM
JackD

Bruce,

thanks a lot for your help. Given that I have the 3s 2100 batteries, I'll go for the 5300 route.

I tried one last night (just the rotor, without installing it in the shroud), and was pulling around 24 amps, giving about a little over 200 watts. In fact, that's putting out more power than on the alfa fan (5300 in an alfa gives me around 170watts) That's a little more power than what Himaxx claims the motors should give, so I guess throttle management will be a must with this set up.

Thanks for the info
Jack
Old 08-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

No prob Jack! Thanks for the runup with the rotor!
Seems the XF rotor has more blade surface then the alfa to pull higher amps. Makes sense since the hub area is very small. Looks like I'll be doing some throttle management myself!
I've started work on the steerable nosegear and engineered a bulkhead mount for the wire(strut) out of a cut up r/c car suspension A-arm. Went 1 size larger on the wire(3/32dia.) Stronger and the stop collars and control horn off my BD-5 are that size and I needed to extend the straight section of wire to have something workable. The stock wire is too short to modify anyway. Bent the wire to fit the fake strut cover and it came out good. Now I have to cut some holes in the bulkhead to mount the A-arm in the proper position and will have to glue the bulkhead to the airframe at an angle so the scale gear angle is correct. or close anyway!
I bought model airplane glue for all the plastic parts which btw are a total pain in the butt to cut out and fit together!
EasyTiger, you have ALOT of patience!

Bruce
Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Steerable nosegear good! No big deal to engineer, as you found out...
Plastic model cement is not needed...the plastic to plastic parts like the gear doors and cockpit parts, CA works very well. Plastic to FOAM, which is most of the parts, Uhu-Por or epoxy works best. If you have not tried Uhu-Por...get some. Great stuff.
The plastic parts...try pedicure scissors. And, yeah...patience!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Bmiller
EDF Member

What I've got is so far is okay but I'm working on improving it so the bulkhead can be mounted normally. I'll have to order some uhu-por. I tryed CA to glue the strut covers together and only ended up glueing my fingers to it and the covers STILL weren't sticking to eachother.LOL The model cement is working good so at least I can finish this plane with it. I use a pair of rc car lexan body scissors which are curved and similar in shape to pedicure scissors. They do work great but I need to contact H-L and have them send me the instructions in English. It's getting too confusing which piece goes where just by looking at the illustrations.
I need to order some more patience too!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:21 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

The english instructions are not that helpful, it's still a question of looking at the illustrations and trying the parts.
The strut covers...
You MUST first cut balsa pieces, groove them on one side, epoxy them over the wires, round them off, and install the plastic over them. You cannot use just the plastic parts. The whole gear setup took me maybe four hours, including the mounts. You need to treat them as fairly serious subassemblies if you want to get them looking right. Each TIRE has six pieces, for cryin' out loud!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

Argh! balsa under the covers! Too late on the nosewheel! Can fill with some probond and the foaming action should solidify the whole assembly....Will do the mains as you stated.
? on the nosewheel bulkhead. did you glue yours inside the fuse or right on the front where the nosecover piece would cover it. The various pictures are vague on this.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:42 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Took me a while...but ON THE FRONT. Definitely. You may need to bevel the edges to get the nosecone to fit.
I messed up my first noseleg the exact same way, so don't feel bad! The probond should fix it. The mains will be much, much easier to do, once you got the balsa filling part down...
Old 08-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Bmiller
EDF Member

Cool, thanks! 1 pic had it inside, 1 outside and there seemed to be a few gluing the nosecover on before anything else!LOL
Balsa filling?...I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

Quick Reply: Flying Styro Me-262!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16679 seconds with 16 queries