Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Flying Styro Me-262!

Old 07-13-2006, 02:40 AM
  #1  
easytiger
Banned Permanently
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,378
Default Flying Styro Me-262!

Is finally in the mail today from Hobby Lobby! Can't wait!
easytiger is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 02:42 AM
  #2  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,665
Default

Ooohhhh! the anticipation of a new delivery! better than Christmas as a Kid huh?!
firemanbill is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 02:47 AM
  #3  
easytiger
Banned Permanently
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,378
Default

I'm spoiled, I get an awful lot of nice models in the mail, and there are some on the way that are nicer and more expensive than this one, but this one just has me all tingly in anticipation, yes!
I have ALWAYS wanted to model the 262 two seat nightfighter. Always. But there have not been any EDF models that I really wanted to do of it, they were all single-seaters, for one thing, and all too heavy, and not scale enough. I never wanted to do a twin turbine or glow DF model of it, it's just too risky with the wide-spread engines, an engine out will probably mean death.
So...this one really has me watering! And I have retracts for it, too!
easytiger is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 02:51 AM
  #4  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,665
Default

Cool! I look forward to seeing a good build thread.. your'e going to do one I hope!
firemanbill is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 AM
  #5  
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man
 
ExtremeRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Planet EDF!
Posts: 337
Default

Which retracts are you planning to fit??
ExtremeRC is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 04:28 AM
  #6  
Bmiller
EDF Member
 
Bmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Cool Easy! I'm waiting awhile before I get one. At least until H-L shows it on their site! Should give me a few more days to recover from the airliner expenses!LOL
Those retracts you got will be perfect!
What power/fans you going with?
Bruce
Bmiller is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 04:33 AM
  #7  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
I have ALWAYS wanted to model the 262 two seat nightfighter. Always.
Hold your breath and wait for the GWS 2-seat nightfighter.
Also referred to as the: "might?"fighter
"not"fighter
etc...
Bill G is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 04:43 AM
  #8  
Bmiller
EDF Member
 
Bmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 793
Default

H-L just put it on their site.
What the heck! Waitings over! I ordered the single seater!
The recommended 56mm fan units look pretty good so thats coming too.
I'm gonna regret not getting those retracts Easy!
Bruce
Bmiller is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 05:51 AM
  #9  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by Bmiller View Post
H-L just put it on their site.
What the heck! Waitings over! I ordered the single seater!
The recommended 56mm fan units look pretty good so thats coming too.
I'm gonna regret not getting those retracts Easy!
Bruce
What's that saying. VISA here we come! No, seriously, that's why I dont have one. Hobby Lobby is probably indirectly responsible for a lot of overspent credit cards .
I always like the "BUY THE WHOLE OUTFIT FOR THE NATIONAL DEBT" part. Since us hobbyists have to have it ALL at the same time (Phrase coined by Richard Petty and DieHard batteries), I'm sure it works well for them.
Well, if I get any more ARFs, this plane will be it.
Bill G is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 AM
  #10  
Bmiller
EDF Member
 
Bmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Yeah it all adds up really quick!
I passed on the motors,30A Jeti ESCs and 3S PQ-3300.
I want a real close look at these fanunits before I get some motors.
I got some ideas!
Bmiller is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
  #11  
easytiger
Banned Permanently
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,378
Default

The "complete package" has been one of the KEYS to H-L's success. I have been buying electrics from HL for some 15 years now, probably more. IF you get what they recommend, you WILL have success. What they recommend WORKS. It really does.
Are they the cheapest? No. But part of what you pay for is they test everything, and back it up.

I got the whole package, no experimentation needed!
easytiger is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 07:51 PM
  #12  
RocketRob
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12
Default

Hey Tiger.......Is it here yet
RocketRob is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 PM
  #13  
Old Fart
Lost at LAX
 
Old Fart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,171
Default

Hmm, pair of 2025-5300's, couple of CC25's..............

At this rate, my F-14 will never get built
Old Fart is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 08:05 PM
  #14  
easytiger
Banned Permanently
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,378
Default

I hope to swing by the PO later this afternoon and see if it is there...I live in Manhattan, in an apartment building, I generally have things delivered to a PO box, so they don't get delivered and left in the hallway! I hope it's there today, I actually can get started on it tonight if so.
I think I will get it done ASAP, and maybe do the cockpits and further details later....
easytiger is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 PM
  #15  
Bmiller
EDF Member
 
Bmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 793
Default

I'm a tinkerer, can't leave well enough alone! This time I hope to fit a couple Littlescreamer outrunners. 20gm motors with big power low ampdraw will let me run 2100 lipos. Hopefully this will cut 5-10ozs off the AUW. I'm taking the lighter route since I won't have cool retracts like Easys will!
Bmiller is offline  
Old 07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
  #16  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
The "complete package" has been one of the KEYS to H-L's success. I have been buying electrics from HL for some 15 years now, probably more. IF you get what they recommend, you WILL have success. What they recommend WORKS. It really does.
Are they the cheapest? No. But part of what you pay for is they test everything, and back it up.

I got the whole package, no experimentation needed!
I agree, they fly what they sell. Good example is the FSK F16. They could have cheated and souped it up with a brushelss, but they flew it with the Acro BB 280 brushed, for the video. By the way, probably the best 280 brushed out there too.
Another good point on the "Everything You Need" is that some waste more time and money trying lesser setups that don't work.
See the EDF section in Flying Scale, E.? I thought the giant Hunter was pretty cool.
Bill G is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 AM
  #17  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
I hope to swing by the PO later this afternoon and see if it is there...I live in Manhattan, in an apartment building, I generally have things delivered to a PO box, so they don't get delivered and left in the hallway! I hope it's there today, I actually can get started on it tonight if so.
I think I will get it done ASAP, and maybe do the cockpits and further details later....
That sounds like a tough life. Have to go to the PO box, then to a Manhattan apartment, carrying all the goods with you, up the elevator I presume. What would you think of living in the sticks, like here? Edge of a small town, all plateau flatland nearby, massive mostly deserted park with huge fields, 2 blocks away. Enough of that, eh .

Saw the 262 video today. Looks like they took off with the gear on. It said the plane comes with display gear only. Thought that maybe they installed retracts. Never saw the gear retract on the video. Then, it looked like they cut into the middle of the video, and completed the second half and landing with a plane with no gear. Just wondering if they were able to take off on grass with the display gear that FSK includes?

Bruce, that was my thoughts. I don't see why this plane couldn't fly with less power on something like Maxx 2015-4100 2mm bl motors, and use a 3s-2100. That battery shown on the website is huge. I'm sure its a powerful setup, but I'd prefer to go lighter with an FSK.
Bill G is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 07:38 AM
  #18  
Bmiller
EDF Member
 
Bmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 793
Default

They definitely spliced 2 videos into one. Probably the gear exploded off the airframe when they tried to land it! Then finished the video sans gear. thats my guess.
Powerwise, H-L usually goes with an adequate power setup to give a good compromise between performance and runtime.
I want to see these fans myself and see if I can fit a high kv outrunner.
Bmiller is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 03:47 PM
  #19  
easytiger
Banned Permanently
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,378
Default

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I agree, they fly what they sell. Good example is the FSK F16. They could have cheated and souped it up with a brushelss, but they flew it with the Acro BB 280 brushed, for the video. By the way, probably the best 280 brushed out there too.
Another good point on the "Everything You Need" is that some waste more time and money trying lesser setups that don't work.
See the EDF section in Flying Scale, E.? I thought the giant Hunter was pretty cool.
They did the FS F-16 quite some years ago, I'm sure if they did it now, they would certainly recommend brushless, which costs much, much less now than it did then!
You hit the nail on the head about time and money trying lesser setups. What HL recommends may not be the very ultimate in performance, but you will have a very good, very STABLE setup. You won't be puffing packs and burning up motors and ESCs. My Alfa Sabre has the "stock" package, and it has maybe a hundred flights with NO problems at all, and I have NO complaints about the performance. Read the RCJI article I did about it, I mean every word...performance is SPARKLING. While you can certainly get more performance with a hotter motor and pack, you will probably be spending money puffing packs out there on the bleeding edge. Which is fine, as long as you understand what you are doing. Most people just want the plane to fly, without puffin' the packs! I was at the Big Apple Jet Rally a few weeks back, two of my friends had highly modified Alfa Migs with hot motors, and I dogfought them with my sabre....five minutes after both of them had to land with problems. I was still doing snide victory rolls, until I landed right at my feet with a flourish! I'm not a complete EDF dummy, but I doubt I would have been able to pick such an effective power package as HL did. I feel like they really do earn their keep with their testing, and they are unstinting in their sharing of information and help.
easytiger is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 03:52 PM
  #20  
easytiger
Banned Permanently
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,378
Default

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
That sounds like a tough life. Have to go to the PO box, then to a Manhattan apartment, carrying all the goods with you, up the elevator I presume. What would you think of living in the sticks, like here? Edge of a small town, all plateau flatland nearby, massive mostly deserted park with huge fields, 2 blocks away. Enough of that, eh .

Saw the 262 video today. Looks like they took off with the gear on. It said the plane comes with display gear only. Thought that maybe they installed retracts. Never saw the gear retract on the video. Then, it looked like they cut into the middle of the video, and completed the second half and landing with a plane with no gear. Just wondering if they were able to take off on grass with the display gear that FSK includes?

Bruce, that was my thoughts. I don't see why this plane couldn't fly with less power on something like Maxx 2015-4100 2mm bl motors, and use a 3s-2100. That battery shown on the website is huge. I'm sure its a powerful setup, but I'd prefer to go lighter with an FSK.
Don't know the deal with the LG, but the early FS kits recommended the gear to be plug-in for display only, and that some of the later ones, the gear is quite effective for takeoffs and landings. Dunno about the 262, but I would assume FS got smart enough to include strong enough mounts to make the gear useable, it's a useful option for people.
As an aside, the guys in Singapore who supplied my gear say they are going to have a dramatic price reduction on the pneumatic gear on the next batch, I will keep you posted when they say how much. I felt like it was very reasonable at $100usd or so, but cheaper is better! It's quality stuff.
Hopefully, the 262 is in the mail today...
Yup, I'm not in the sticks! I am looking at the Empire State Building out the window as I type! But if there is no traffic, I can zip out of my garage and be at a field in New Jersey in thirteen minutes flat, which is pretty good! Also, I have a hangar at a full-scale airport upstate where I keep all my toys, so if I am up there, I can open up the hangar doors and taxi right out onto either of the 5000 foot runways and fly all I want. It's really in the sticks, and it's an AIRPORT, so I can make all the noise I want!
easytiger is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 05:24 PM
  #21  
Old Fart
Lost at LAX
 
Old Fart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,171
Default

LOL, I work for LAX, I pulled one plane out of my Bronco one Friday, sell phone rings. It's some "friends" of mine from Airfield Operations (they're in the building next to mine).

"You're not thinking of flying that _here_ are you???"

Suuuure - the departure vortex from a 747-400 should really be fun with my Alfa Sabre........................

Can't see the Empire State Building out the window - but there is a nice view of the Pacific today
Old Fart is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 05:29 PM
  #22  
easytiger
Banned Permanently
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,378
Default

Er, LAX is not OCA, not exactly an appropriate place to fly a model!

The morning manager at OCA does not like models, so I wait till he leaves, and all is fine.


You would be staggered at how dopey modellers can be...would be be surprised a bit to find an alfa sabre knocked down in the vortex of a 747...I have seen stupider stuff!
easytiger is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 05:38 PM
  #23  
Old Fart
Lost at LAX
 
Old Fart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,171
Default

I messed with his head - toild him I thought the west ramp (overflow parking for the international flights) was plenty big enough for my "little plane"

You think the modelers are dopey -you should see some of the stunts the commercial pilots pull
Old Fart is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 PM
  #24  
Bmiller
EDF Member
 
Bmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 793
Default

Hiflyer just posted some facts on it in the electric warbirds thread at RCG.
Video was two flights spliced together w/same plane, maiden flight w/gear then 2nd flight w/o gear. Wanted to show it landing w/o gear.
Gear IS static display plugin type. New fans are more powerful than microfans however a microfan setup could get you a lighter AUW.
Bmiller is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 10:32 PM
  #25  
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,422
Default

Originally Posted by Bmiller View Post
Hiflyer just posted some facts on it in the electric warbirds thread at RCG.
Video was two flights spliced together w/same plane, maiden flight w/gear then 2nd flight w/o gear. Wanted to show it landing w/o gear.
Gear IS static display plugin type. New fans are more powerful than microfans however a microfan setup could get you a lighter AUW.
Did they use the stock gear on the video for take off?
If so, it must be reasonably strong to withstand a fairly rough grass rolloff.

Curtis, what's the verdict. Take off work today, to put the plane together?
I know how it is. I probably would, if I got one.

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Suuuure - the departure vortex from a 747-400 should really be fun with my Alfa Sabre........................
I recently saw a news chopper appear to fly directly into the wash of an airliner at low level over the Allegheny river in Pittsburgh, on approach to Pgh Intl. Nothing happened, but I kept my eye on it, driving across the 1/2 mile bridge directly underneath . They must have had enough altitude difference, but it didn't look very bright to do.

Last edited by Bill G; 07-18-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Bill G is offline  

Quick Reply: Flying Styro Me-262!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12779 seconds with 11 queries