Discovery Radio Control DragonFly - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Discovery Radio Control DragonFly

Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 AM
thecloudpainter
Ultra-Newbie

Red face Discovery Radio Control DragonFly

Has anyone out there seen this lil gizmo?
I think it looks cool, but my fiance' is laffin at me -
says I'm a victim of good marketing...
(but I didn't BUY it - unlike the AirHawg Havocs... *S*)

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-65598.html

There's a cool video onsite - click on product demo.
Let me know what ya'll think, k?

Hasta~
TheCloudPainter

Last edited by thecloudpainter; 08-15-2007 at 02:42 AM. Reason: load pic
Old 08-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Leo L

Bought it a few weeks ago. It was on sale at Radio Shack; $10 cheaper than Toy-R-Us. It has some basic tendencies that remind me of the AeroAce: a little too much throttle and it propoises; a little too little and it drops to the ground. Once you get the hang of it, its a lot of fun, but it doesn't like any wind, again like the AeroAce. You get quite a decent flight from one charge. Get it! Its really a lot of fun and is virtually indestructable; again like the AeroAce.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Flight Risk

They had these at Sharper Image also. Same price. I tried to fly it in the store, but didn't have much luck. The sales person said that it's imposible to fly. I can see how that streamer on the tail could help. I was temped to get one.??

FR
Old 08-15-2007, 06:46 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

That is the Wowee Dragon Fly... don't accept a knock-off... go to Wal-mart and get it for 45 bucks. It is a really fun toy. Practically indestructible, and not hard to fly at all. I can fly it around my living room. It has a tendency to porpoise on full throttle, but a simple tail mod can fix that. The tail feather slows it down and does make it easier to fly in a smaller area.

The only real problems I've heard that I actually believe are not pilot error, are that it doesn't fly at higher altitudes (I'm at 5500ft though), and that it is very sensitive to the tail rotor being out of alignment. It doesn't handle wind at all because it is super-light.

Overall, this is a very fun toy, and I think I've flown it around the house nearly once a day since I bought it a couple months ago. People who can't fly it are just that... people who can't fly it. It has nothing to do with the product itself. I highly recommend it.

Makes a silly dog toy too... he thinks it's a bird, and it sounds a lot like a bird in flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbV91SJQUQ4
Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM
DAngilello

Interesting toy that flies well only in low/no wind conditions.
I fly mine at night in the backyard, and those glowing eyes look great.
(Put a tack on the nose for better balance.)

Even when the controls are set to advanced, there is a delay when turning.
You'll need to start your turns early.

I still prefer the Aero Ace Biplane, but I can forgive the slow controls because it's flying by flapping it's wings. How cool is that?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by DAngilello View Post
Even when the controls are set to advanced, there is a delay when turning.
You'll need to start your turns early.
Not on mine... it's very responsive. I don't ever use that beginner mode though.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 PM
rcfsr

It seems that not all fly equally good. I've had two of them. The first flew great right out of the box. I would still be enjoying it, had I not let it get away from me and into the deep and wide canal behind my house which shorted out the electronics. The second leaves much to be desired, in that I can't control it worth a hoot. Seems it wants to porpoise and/or fly in a right hand decending turn. Just will not gain altitude. Longest flight has been less than 10 seconds. Still trying to figure it out. In case you ask; Yes I've tried both beginner and advanced control and also the tail ribbon and of course the tail rotor control.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by rcfsr View Post
It seems that not all fly equally good. I've had two of them. The first flew great right out of the box. I would still be enjoying it, had I not let it get away from me and into the deep and wide canal behind my house which shorted out the electronics. The second leaves much to be desired, in that I can't control it worth a hoot. Seems it wants to porpoise and/or fly in a right hand decending turn. Just will not gain altitude. Longest flight has been less than 10 seconds. Still trying to figure it out. In case you ask; Yes I've tried both beginner and advanced control and also the tail ribbon and of course the tail rotor control.
Make sure the tail rotor is spinning straight up and down. It is very sensitive to twists in the tail. Also, charge and discharge the batteries a couple times and see if that makes a difference. People will say that a Lipo doesn't need to be cycled, but that is theory, and in practice, I've had several toys that worked better after being cycled a few times. Estes recommends it on the Sky Ranger (if you call them). Apogee Battery company also recommends it. Also, make sure you have the antenna fully extended and fresh batteries in the controller. I did notice mine acting a little weird when the batteries started to run out, and it will lose control very easily if the antenna is down or not screwed all the way in.

You could have a defective unit as well. If you can't get it to work, I would return it, or call Wowee Toys and ask them about it.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:05 AM
rcfsr

Thanks Jasmine2501.

The batteries have been cycled several times, but I haven't checked the squareness of the tail rotor in relation to all the axies of the unit yet. That's a good thought. Will do that tonight in hopes of a calm morning wind to try it again. Don't know why I didn't think of that, but I guess it was just the excitement of getting in the air in a hurry. You know the old saying " The hurryer I go, the behinder I get" fits here.

Bob
Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Even if you think there's no wind, your Dragon Fly might think otherwise. I fly it inside mostly... and when the AC comes on, it gets a little jacked up. You can't really tell if there's anything wrong with it until you try it in absolutely calm air. Yeah it's very sensitive to that tail rotor being angled off, and some of them have wings with more lift on one side, so you might have to actually use that little trim knob.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

I had a dragonfly and had to return it. Nothing I could do would make it sustain any altitute. If I launched it from a hill I got about 30 seconds before it would hit the ground.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:28 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I had a dragonfly and had to return it. Nothing I could do would make it sustain any altitute. If I launched it from a hill I got about 30 seconds before it would hit the ground.
Did you try cycling the battery to see if it got more power? Are you at high altitude? It won't work at 7500 feet, but it works "ok" here at 5500ft.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default revision

I'll have the new and improved version soon enough modifying mine, been dealing with real RC planes that have taken up all of my time. I like the fact they cannot hurt anybody which means you aren't worried about bumping into small children so you can fly it anywhere. They came out with the picoz, havvoc as it was later named, and now, I lost track, nice indoor heli, don't buy into the current lines in that venue thinking it's all that much different at all, they lost a sharehold or two and gained others, same heli, this little bug with the current one is an attempt to regain the market share and they are doing well with it, but it's still a cheap toy and should always be held in that context.

I say, get it if you have money to burn, othewerwise, get a real RC if you are in that venue already.

Last edited by Saucerguy2; 08-19-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
I'll have the new and improved version soon enough modifying mine, been dealing with real RC planes that have taken up all of my time. I like the fact they cannot hurt anybody which means you aren't worried about bumping into small children so you can fly it anywhere. They came out with the picoz, havvoc as it was later named, and now, I lost track, nice indoor heli, don't buy into the current lines in that venue thinking it's all that much different at all, they lost a sharehold or two and gained others, same heli, this little bug with the current one is an attempt to regain the market share and they are doing well with it, but it's still a cheap toy and should always be held in that context.

I say, get it if you have money to burn, othewerwise, get a real RC if you are in that venue already.
Naw I disagree... it's a lot of fun and can be flown inside, so even if you have regular RC planes, this provides something different. I have regular planes and I can't always fly them. This thing I can fly around on my lunch break, and the helicopters I can fly around in the office. Having different things with different capabilities is cool
Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

With the tail mod's and adjusting the weight distribution, I'm able to get the dragonfly to handle some slight wind, the picoz can handle them to a degree, but it's much harder to fly. On the mainstream RC, I meant time with building and revising, not talking about flying one over the other.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Did you try cycling the battery to see if it got more power? Are you at high altitude? It won't work at 7500 feet, but it works "ok" here at 5500ft.
I'm at 700' and battery was cycled many times. Quality control seems to be hit or miss, from what the guys at Radio Shack say.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 AM
thecloudpainter
Ultra-Newbie

Hey all -
I broke down and got a DragonFly today...
Will keep ya'll posted on the progress.

I totally understand about the quality or lack thereof of products straight out of the box, as I took back several (many) Havocs before finding one that would fly for me. Even then, it's very limited on maneuverablility, but still a kick when I can't get my E* in the air. The toy I've had the best luck with is my AirHawg biplane pushprop. That lil thing just keeps going and going and going...

Again, Jasmine - SaucerGuy - all -
Thank You so much for the input -
ya'll help a lot.

Hasta~
TheCloudPainter
Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default cool

I haven't had time to fiddle with mine more, but I really nailed the problem with it needing a larger H stab, I found the same traits going on with my RC dragon I designed and was able to fix it with more area in that section, it reacted in the same manner. As I stated before, there was a trade off on looks/scale towards performance with this one.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I think these little things are very "individual" because I haven't changed mine at all and it flies fine. Everybody always wants to modify the thing, but I just learned to fly it with practice... maybe some of them need it and some don't. I say practice with it for a while before you go changing things...
Old 09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I never said it didn't fly in the first place, I just am pointing out, there are some revisions in order to make it fly optimumly, that's all.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Krazy Pilot
I'm not dead. Yet.

Dragonfly flys great here at 9000 ft! Hawk started circling around after a while! Funnest thing to do is turn off power and do hard over then get like 5 ft over the ground and recover!
Mine is so full of CA and tape it barely flys...
KP