First paint job - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

First paint job

Old 06-09-2016, 02:13 AM
Vic Z

Default First paint job

After a hundred crashes, I figured it would be fun to paint my Sportsman trainer.
It is mostly made of gorilla glue, and is full of seems and wrinkles, but still a fun flyer and holds a special place for me.
Got a primer coat on, and apparently I'm not a body guy. At least it will all be one color again
Maybe I will slap the 480 and 30 amp esc from the Trojan in it just for fun.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:22 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

No pics??!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 AM
Vic Z

No pics of the progress. Will get some up tomorrow.
Here are a couple of the reason for painting though.
Every time I tried to get her upside down she headed for the dirt uncontrolably. Apparently high dihedral wings and a stability system absolutely rebel against such behavior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160224_095529.jpg (4.05 MB, 339 views)
20160201_122024.jpg (1.62 MB, 328 views)
20160119_085857.jpg (1.68 MB, 322 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:06 AM
birdDog
Charging....

She is due. Remember to hold the can at a distance and spray just enough for coverage. 2 light coats are better than a very heavy one. Inverted dihedrals can require a lot of input.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:24 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

lol...one just doesn't say 'paint job' and then not add pics.

There are lots of tricks for fixing up that foam, carefully using a heat gun or iron can pull out seams and wrinkles, hot water is supposed to work also but I have never tried it. When you mention Gorilla glue are you using the original (brown) glue? If so, possibly you already know that if you mix it with water it foams up and makes a great filler/glue combo that is easy to carve and sand.

One more thing, I do hope you are using more than just two rubber bands criss-crossed like in the first pic, if not I would start.

-Bob
Old 06-09-2016, 07:59 AM
Vic Z

One of the fun parts of this project is that I got to go out and buy a detail gun
We like our toys you know.
Yes, gorilla glue works wonders. And the hot water trick works great. We have an insta hot on our sink (great tool for this), and it really does reform dented foam.
The parts that don't look so great are the parts where I used light weight spackling. It just doesn't really sand well.
The last time I flew it, it got windy, but I figured "aw heck, just one more battery". We all know how that ends.
I had read stories about guys getting their planes stuck in a tree thinking what an idiot. But after trying to save a landing blown off course, there I was
Caused allot of scarring between all of the pulling it through branches and poking it with a long pole with a stick duct taped to it. Lol
Any way, she ain't gonna be perfect, but it's all a learning process and good fun.
The most important tool you need for this hobby is a sense of humor.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

What kind/brand of spackling did you use? I have never had a problem sanding lightweight spackle but I read something about Dap brand spackle being hard to sand. I do know that if it isn't completely dry any lightweight spackle will not sand. If it looks dry and feels dry but is cold...it isn't dry.

-Bob
Old 06-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
Here are a couple of the reason for painting though.
Every time I tried to get her upside down she headed for the dirt uncontrolably. Apparently high dihedral wings and a stability system absolutely rebel against such behavior.
meh...some bondo and duct tape, good as new!

I like the Testors Short cut paint for the foam, works great. Liquitex works good too.

I'm a recent convert to Foamtac glue for most anything foam now. dries clear, dries pretty quick too, and most importantly isn't brittle like CA and expoxy. I'm also using their filler too...looks like drywall compound. dries fast, and all white. Easy to sand as well. I took a totally crushed Durafly Skymule and pieced it back together, then skim coated it and it came out great.

As for the inverted flight....max out that elevator throw, and start your trick about 5 mistakes high!

Have fun.....
Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Vic Z

Well here she is. Primed up and all ready for color.
Not sure how it will turn out, but I bet it ain't her last time in the paint shop
I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong, but it's just for fun.
The spots where the skin of the foam is missing doesn't like to take paint.
That's ok. I'm in this to fly, not to show.
Plus like the old man at the LHS says "it's just a foamy".
Attached Images
20160609_092649.jpg (2.12 MB, 369 views)
20160609_092641.jpg (2.21 MB, 309 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Vic Z

Here it is with some color.
Looks better that I expected.
Good from far, far from good.
Will look really good 100' up in the air.
Attached Images
20160609_112157.jpg (2.16 MB, 261 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 PM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Lookin' good...now some flames...
Old 06-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Vic Z

Originally Posted by P51 fan View Post
Lookin' good...now some flames...
I thought about it. Would be very ironic.
Doing a blue cowl with a couple of scallops, and probably blue landing gear with wheel pants.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:55 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
I thought about it. Would be very ironic.
Doing a blue cowl with a couple of scallops, and probably blue landing gear with wheel pants.
That should look good.

So, not trying to be a spackle queen here, but it has been bugging me that you are having trouble sanding spackle. I haven't used it in a while but i used to all the time on foam airframes...literally caking it on the whole airframe then sanding it off to make a smooth surface, then paint or use covering material.

The trick I forgot is I mixed the spackle with water to make a paste, it sticks to the foam much better than plain spackle that is too dry to stick decent, then when dry it sands easily.

I understand you aren't too worried about it here and I'm not trying to pound my spackle tricks, just thought it was a good place to mention the water trick in case you decide to try again.

Here are some spackled foam planes I have refinished.

-Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001362.GIF
Views:	98
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	183913  
Attached Images
1a 001.JPG (80.1 KB, 266 views)
25681_396011207656_3884757_n.jpg (163.0 KB, 255 views)
a2 141.JPG (88.9 KB, 281 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Vic Z

Nice work P51.
All input is much appreciated. I am here to learn, and some day hope to help others.
I used Dap, and someone said that it is known to not sand well. Just tries to roll out. I will try the water trick next chance i get.
How do you cut those lines in without peeling the base color up with tape?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Thanks. Dap is the brand I heard is absolutely horrible to use, the Patch-n-Paint is junk I guess...at least for what we are trying to do. I have never used it.

I appreciate that you understand I'm just trying to show some success I have had using spackle and what you can do. All of these planes are rebuilt from crashed garbage, when my LHS was still open they would save me the carcasses of crashed planes to fix up.

I mix the water and spackle right in the tub, literally to the point that it will run and drip off the model. If it is too runny just let the tub sit a while with the cover off and mix it up again...water evaporates off and it gets thicker, after you are done using what you need put the cover on the tub and the spackle will dry out back to normal and be ready for next time. I have spackle here that I have used several times over the years that is still good to use. Let it dry completely on the model then sand away, all the little foam beads, cracks, seams, wrinkles fill and even out smooth.

How do you cut those lines in without peeling the base color up with tape?
I don't cut the lines, the Spitfire and Corsair are hand-painted with Apple Barrel paints...the Spit is then sprayed with clear gloss, I never did spray the Corsair. I didn't tape anything. The Formosa and Formosa II are covered with Solite film...just like a balsa plane is covered.

I can't say it enough but if the spackle is not completely dry it will roll out, I mentioned already but if it is cold to the touch it still isn't dry, the cold feel is caused by evaporation. Once the excess water evaporates out you are left with a very nice ready to sand spackle job.

-Bob
Old 06-10-2016, 01:01 PM
Porcia83

This is the stuff I use and as P-51 noted, add water to thin it out. First time I tried I applied with a Popsicle stick and realized that wasn't going to work too well.
Attached Images
Foam_Tac_Foam_Filler.jpg (1.83 MB, 561 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 PM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

This is the stuff I use
I will have to see if I can find some of that, I bet it is better than plain old lightweight spackle/filler.

Btw, to keep tape from peeling up your base color use blue painters tape, but before you apply it stick it to your t-shirt or pants to take some of the "sticky" off of it. It will still stick well enough to mask but won't stick TOO well.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Looks great Vic!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by P51 fan View Post
I will have to see if I can find some of that, I bet it is better than plain old lightweight spackle/filler.

Btw, to keep tape from peeling up your base color use blue painters tape, but before you apply it stick it to your t-shirt or pants to take some of the "sticky" off of it. It will still stick well enough to mask but won't stick TOO well.
PM me your address, I'll shoot you over a tub of it. Probably 80% of it is still there, good as new. I have two more in storage just in case. I know I know...what does that say about my confidence!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Vic Z

I'm thinking this might actually turn out ok for a first timer.
Don't remember where i learned it, but "post its" work well for masking. They don't take off any paint. Bleeds a little, but it isn't hard to cut back in with a small flat brush.
I didn't realize that I would, but I am actually enjoying this.
Attached Images
20160611_080845.jpg (2.65 MB, 245 views)
20160611_080825.jpg (2.52 MB, 293 views)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:13 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

That is looking great Vic! Those colors should look nice in the air too. Nice job and good tip about the "post its".

PM me your address, I'll shoot you over a tub of it.
Thanks! I'll drop you a pm.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:47 AM
TommyC.

Thumbs up

Vic, What type of paint did you use? Looks Awesome!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Looking at those pics...and the water in the background...I think a set of floats are needed...
Old 06-12-2016, 03:09 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

P51 fan you speak of mixing light wait spackle with water. What is your ratio of water and light weight spackle ,in your mix ?? Many thanks fdnyjery aka Jerry
Old 06-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Vic Z

Originally Posted by TommyC. View Post
Vic, What type of paint did you use? Looks Awesome!
Thank you.
I think i will make the scallops bigger and do the rudder blue to give it more pop.

I use Behr Marquis sample size from home depot.
Goes on great, sticks as well as can be expected, and they can mix up any color you want, and even match a color for you. @ $5 for a 6oz jar, which is really allot.

Quick Reply: First paint job

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10566 seconds with 26 queries