Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

RC falconry lure???

Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
eflight-ray

I could do with something that stops the local Buzzards from chasing and attacking, (if they get the chance), my depron Eagle.

I always check the sky before a launch as I don't like to upset them if they're in the area. Sometimes there's no sign and I can enjoy flying, other times I may be flying for a while and then hear the squawks and calls of an approaching Buzzard, (I think they are Honey Buzzards).

Any of my other models is no problem, but then the Eagle does seem to attract attention, I wonder why.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle3.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	93091  
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
gittarpikk
CrazyBall Designer and OT

Default Maybe time for Nitro?!?

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
I could do with something that stops the local Buzzards from chasing and attacking, (if they get the chance), my depron Eagle.

I always check the sky before a launch as I don't like to upset them if they're in the area. Sometimes there's no sign and I can enjoy flying, other times I may be flying for a while and then hear the squawks and calls of an approaching Buzzard, (I think they are Honey Buzzards).

Any of my other models is no problem, but then the Eagle does seem to attract attention, I wonder why.

I believe I would be changing (or at least have a friend in backup) flying a nitro delta (or something of the likeness) just for all the fun your missing now as they attach YOUR bird . You could be doing dsome "getting even" there. I've returned several times with buzzard feathers stuck to the nitro oil in the nose /wing.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Chipster

SK, I am thinking of dragging the lure well behind and below the plane, once the lure and parachute are out of the tube and in the birds talons, I can put the plane into a dive and deploy a parachute to finish the landing. I am probably only going to be 300-500 feet up. This way of getting the lure aloft would only be used on days that are not windy enough to get a kite up. I would be out in the country where there would not be other people or cars, but trees could be an issue. The problem is we need a way to keep the bird in some kind of physical shape and just letting it sit on a block and eat is not good. In warm weather, the wind is often quite low here (less than 6 mph) and a kite will not get up and also, the bird only really needs to eat once every several days. In the cold weather they get a lot more interested in food and the wind is better for the kite too. I live in a rural area where there are many large flat fields of crop stubble (after the crops are out) so I can get the plane quite a ways from the bird as soon as she grabs the lure. We are talking a square mile where you can see clearly in every direction with no or few obstacles. The only concern would be for the birds feet. That is how she makes her living and if her feet are damaged, she is worthless as a falconry bird. I think a folding prop on a sail plane would do the trick. I can just shut the motor down when she gets near and then restart it after she has the lure away from the plane. She would have no reason to go near the plane as there is nothing there that she would want since the lure will be behind and below it. So, stopping the prop would just be a precaution. Only a small part of the meal is put on the lure, she has to get to the ground to get the rest of it and also to eat what little bit is on the lure. The bird generally pulls the lure + parachute to ground as quickly as she can. What I have to do is be sure that I am a good enough pilot to not hit the bird with the plane in the process. That is what I am working on right now with my Eclipse 7 tx and FMS. I can see it is going to take a while and some hours of practice to get to where the controls are reflex instead of having to think each time. I am not going to risk an expensive bird because I have not practiced enough. In my case the aircraft is a tool, not part of the hobby and like anything else, you have to use the tool correctly to have things come to a good ending. Again, thanks to all who have helped, I am practicing on the sim and starting on my FFF sailplane. I will no doubt need further advice as time goes on and questions come up.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Chipster

You guys in the UK that are having buzzard problems are probably due to territorial stuff by the birds during nesting. They would most likely not be a threat once they realize that it is not a real raptor that they are trying to chase off. I might suggest a more unusual paint scheme that probably would help. Remember, these birds have unbelieveable eye sight and could easily recognize a man-made object at a good distance. As far as intentionally chasing them, at least in the US, you could get a hefty fine for doing so. I think your laws are more lenient in Europe, but still not a good idea to harass the wildlife.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
eflight-ray

Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post
I believe I would be changing (or at least have a friend in backup) flying a nitro delta (or something of the likeness) just for all the fun your missing now as they attach YOUR bird . You could be doing dsome "getting even" there. I've returned several times with buzzard feathers stuck to the nitro oil in the nose /wing.
Now I would see that as a total failure of my flying ability.

'I always check the sky before a launch as I don't like to upset them if they're in the area.'

I see the Buzzards as having right of way.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:38 AM
Becca

Default RC Falconry lure in action

Hi all,

Am a bit late to the party on this one, but given the interest in the thread, I thought you might like an update. There is actually now an rc falocnry lure commercially available. It was developed by a UK falconer and raptor zoologist Dr Nick Fox to train, and rehabilitate falcons. https://www.rofalconry.com/ These models are actually designed specifically to be caught by the falcon itself so it's an exciting activity for all involved. We even now have a 'hunt race' in the UK.
I'm a falconer, and, like many others, find the limiting factor for competition is the model-flying part. If some RC experts wanted to get involved that could really help the sport develop hugely. Even if it was just a faoocner and pilot getting together at the weekend to have some fun in a field, it's an amazing opportunity to see falcons fly in spectacular ways. Like the OP said, opportunities to hunt live game are increasingly hard to come by. This is about as close as you can get. And nothing gets hurt, except pride when the falcon catches you out!