3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Fliton Edge 540

Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 AM
pmikeyg

Default Fliton Edge 540

After about a year I am finally gonna finish my 540. I originally mounted a E-flite 480 outrunner on it, but I was told it is gonna be too much. Any insight? I have a 400 o/r I can put on it, but was gonna use it for another plane.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:30 PM
flybird
flybird

How much does this plane weigh? I think E-flites web site gives the info you need to match up your ships weight to one of their motors.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 AM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by pmikeyg View Post
After about a year I am finally gonna finish my 540. I originally mounted a E-flite 480 outrunner on it, but I was told it is gonna be too much. Any insight? I have a 400 o/r I can put on it, but was gonna use it for another plane.
Pete,
If that plane weighs more than 16 oz I wouldn't use that motor. I have that same motor on a lightweight foam J-3 and the performance can best be described as mild.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Hey flybird, I finished up my Prodigy tonight. I can't believe how much travel I'm getting in the ailerons. I had to set low rate at 30 percent and high at 70. Full deflection is prolly 70 degrees...both up and down.
I decided to use the Park 480 after all and it shows 22 amps WOT with a 10X6 prop. That's a good starting point. I like to maiden with calm winds so I may have to wait a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 AM
pmikeyg

Barry,
This thing is really light. I think the 480 is gonna be ok. I am thinking about the Power 10 like in the Brio.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:44 PM
flybird
flybird

Just to make sure, did you take a streight edge like a ruler and put it on the TOP of the wings to set up the alerons? They didn't show how to do this in the instruction book I had. If done properly it looks like the plane has flaps slightly on. This is the only plane I seen that has this flats slightly on look when the alerons are in neutual position. This plane is lite enough that the only prop I've used on this is the 11-7 slo and love it. Fly her all the way in to land she loves to float, and good luck.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:52 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

bird,
I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the underside of the wing is the lift surface and therefore the straight edge should go across the bottom for neutral trim. When you do that with the Prodigy, it looks like the ailerons are deflected slightly up. So, flybird, did you get better handling with the ailerons deflected slightly down? And you tried it both ways? It appears to me to be a symmetrical airfoil so maybe I should split the difference.
mikey,
The manual says it should have an all up weight of 20 ounces but I'm way above that with the Park 480 and a 3 cell 2100 CellPro pack. As a matter of fact, I'm just under 30 ounces. When you guys get a chance, would you let me know the weights of your Prodigies?
Thanks, guys.
Bud
Old 04-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

You were right, you were right, you were right!
My first flight was awkward with a nose up attitude and much up deflection of the elevator so I lowered the ailerons about an eighth inch and it was much better but still not right. Then I lowered them another eighth inch and things really improved. I'm still going to lower them another eighth inch tomorrow and I think that will be the sweet spot.
Sadly, I already folded the landing gear and it was a perfect gentle landing. How did you reinforce your gear? I'm going to use a block of balsa sandwiched between two sheets of ply. The screws will run all the way through and be nutted with washers. There's got to be a way.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
flybird
flybird

Where do you fly? Do you land in the grass or pavement? I've found when I land in the grass in the park, I like to have the largest diameter wheels on. They kinda look funky but get the job done. I think the ones I have are called high impacked wheels or something like that. Dubro I think makes them. They have a rubber tread which looks more like a large o-ring on them, the grass doesn't catch these and flip the plane over and have the least amount of stress on the gear because of the large diameter they roll nicely over rough terrain. If you put a straight edge on the top of the wing you will find she flys nicely. Don't be afraid to fly her all the way in with speed, I find most problems start when we come in to slow and the bottom drops out about one foot off the ground. Hope this helps keep me posted, Phil.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Thumbs up

Phil,
I fly on grass in my neighbor's field. He lets me cut a landing strip and I try to keep it pretty short. The wheels I'm using on the Prod are 2" Dubro ballon-type tires and they work great...now. When I first put the gear on the plane, it seemed to angle backward. And that's how it's shown in the pictures. That didn't seem right but I could not get them to go the other way.
I think gear should be angled forward so the entire frame of the plane will absorb any shock opon landing rather than just the mount. So I made a whole new mount and opened the gear exit holes so that I could angle the legs forward. Landings are effortless now and the plane flys like a dream.
I've enclosed a picture so you can see the new angle of the gear.
Peace,
Bud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002_tn.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	63464   Click image for larger version

Name:	007_tn.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	63465