Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #26
iFLYrc_Vic

Friends: (1)
Talking Servo fit

I have seen a couple of posts about non JR servo not fitting properly. Come on guys! This is a hobby that started from guys building models from scratch. You should be able to make a slight adjustment to a servo mounting hole for cryin' out loud. If it does no fit, make the appropriate adjustments. You are going to put the hobby tool companies out of business.

Seriously, if that's all that folks can find wrong with this model, it is a really good model. I'm looking forward to getting mine. Even before I get it, I'm thinking of ways to improve the wheel pants to make them more durable on grass fields. First thoughts - fill them with foam?

Vic - WebMaster iFLYrc
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #27
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Club: http://www.lmacky.org/
Friends: (19)

Fill them with foam.....................hmmmm.................mig ht work. Would at least be easy to try.

Ray AMA# 906981
AG-1 Agrivator
Die galvanische Kette, mathematisch bearbeitet
Georg Simon Ohm (1789-1854)
Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #28
iFLYrc_Vic

Smile Got it - Love it!

I got my Gee Bee today! That is really fast shipping and delivery since I just ordered it 4 days ago. Well, I opened the box to find it was doubled boxed (great). then I when straight for the wheel pants since I had heard so much about them. The reports were mostly right about the flimsy rim around the top for mount the pants to the wing. When I grabbed the tip at the rear end of the fairing that mounts to the wing, I flexed it lightly and heard a crack! The fiberglass at the rear end is not beefed up enough to withstand any pressure so it definitely needs some modification. The front end is beefed up more , so it may be stronger. I will be making some modifications to the method of attaching the wheel pants to make them strong enough to withstand the rigors of grass field flying.

I pulled the fuse out of the box and it was "love at first sight". With a few custom mods, it has the potential to be one of my favorite planes.

I will post a build log on my web site for those who are interested. Sorry, I have done double postings before and it is just too much work. If you want to follow my build log, just leave me a PM and I will pre-register you on my web site forum.

The weather has finally improved here in MD so I will be out flying more and building less. However, this ARF has got my building juices flowing!

Vic - WebMaster iFLYrc
Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 AM   #29
aquaanox

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by iFLYrc_Vic View Post
I got my Gee Bee today! That is really fast shipping and delivery since I just ordered it 4 days ago. Well, I opened the box to find it was doubled boxed (great). then I when straight for the wheel pants since I had heard so much about them. The reports were mostly right about the flimsy rim around the top for mount the pants to the wing. When I grabbed the tip at the rear end of the fairing that mounts to the wing, I flexed it lightly and heard a crack! The fiberglass at the rear end is not beefed up enough to withstand any pressure so it definitely needs some modification. The front end is beefed up more , so it may be stronger. I will be making some modifications to the method of attaching the wheel pants to make them strong enough to withstand the rigors of grass field flying.

I pulled the fuse out of the box and it was "love at first sight". With a few custom mods, it has the potential to be one of my favorite planes.

I will post a build log on my web site for those who are interested. Sorry, I have done double postings before and it is just too much work. If you want to follow my build log, just leave me a PM and I will pre-register you on my web site forum.

The weather has finally improved here in MD so I will be out flying more and building less. However, this ARF has got my building juices flowing!
Hey, i got my kit today as well.. Im in Rockville, MD.. btw.. the covering on my kit was a bit bubly and i had to use a heat gun to smooth it out as best i can. Fuselage is still not perfect, i ended up just putting some declas over the areas i couldnt fix.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 AM   #30
Voltron

Friends: (2)

I have seen a couple of posts about non JR servo not fitting properly. Come on guys! This is a hobby that started from guys building models from scratch. You should be able to make a slight adjustment to a servo mounting hole for cryin' out load. If it does no fit, make the appropriate adjustments. You are going to put the hobby tool companies out of business.
I have to agree with that statement. Some of the old timers that got this RC hobby started even made their own radios. Many of the newbies that are buying RTF planes aren't able to repair or maintan them because they didn't put them together.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #31
iFLYrc_Vic

Default Flight report

Ray, did you get your Gee Bee in the air yet? Any details on the flight would be appreciated. I am still "on the fence" as to what power system to use.

Vic - WebMaster iFLYrc
Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #32
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Club: http://www.lmacky.org/
Friends: (19)

Ray, did you get your Gee Bee in the air yet? Any details on the flight would be appreciated. I am still "on the fence" as to what power system to use.
All ready to go but not in the air as of yet. This is one I will maiden at the main field. That field is 20+ miles away from me. I work the graveyard shift so it is hard to find the time (of day/winds/sun/ect) to make it out there. Still I do make it to the field often enough durring the year. Right now though I need to fix the brakes on my truck before I can get it out of the driveway, lol. Due to that all my flying has been at the local industrial park with the .15 to .32 size planes. That industrial park has 8 inch high curbs on either side of the "runway" so no maidens or flying of anything I can't keep straight if ya know what I mean.

Ray AMA# 906981
AG-1 Agrivator
Die galvanische Kette, mathematisch bearbeitet
Georg Simon Ohm (1789-1854)
Old 06-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #33
iFLYrc_Vic

Default GEE BEE Maiden

I just packed her up and went to the field to see if the wind would permit me to fly. Turns out, it was not too bad - about 8 mph straight down the runway. But as I was putting the wing on, a few drops of rain hit the wing - just a sprinkle that past over quickly.

I plugged in the 5000mah battery and did a range check - good to go! I checked the control surfaces for proper direction and deflection and decided on low rates since I was not sure of the cg. Taxied down to the take off point and then throttled up slowly. She tracked pretty good and when I reached about 3/4 throttle she lifted. She banked a little to the right so I just corrected with left aileron. She was climbing at about 45 degrees with no elevator input so I let it climb to a safe altitude then push on the elevator to level off. I cut throttle back to about half and started trimming. She needed some left aileron and a lot of down elevator. I was pretty nervous and found myself using the throttle trim for the elevator trim. Well, no time to correct the throttle trim so I started bleeping in some elevator trim. After several circuits around the field I was comfortable with the trim. I flew most of the circuit at half throttle. I push it to full throttle for a few seconds and she really scoots. Plenty of power!

The temperature was about 86 degrees with about 80% humidity at 11:00AM. After a few circuits, with sweat pouring into the my eyes, I decided to bring her in.

My first attempt was pretty a good setup on final but my speed was a by fast, so I aborted and went around for another shot. That's when remembered the throttle trim - I bleeped in a few clicks to lower the throttle trim. I wanted to take a look at the trim settings (Futaba Radio) but I did not dare take my eyes off the plane.

Brought her around for the landing and cut throttle before I cross the threshold. She settled in pretty good but flared a bit on her own (tail heavy). She floated past me on the flight line and then touched down without a bounce. She was still rolling pretty good as she approached the end of the runway so I pull and hard right on the rudder and she came around (sliding) only a foot from the end of the runway. Wheh!! I got her up and down!

As I taxied back to the pits, I found that even after I fully cut the throttle back to idle, the motor was still running. I had really cut in a lot to up throttle before I realized I was using the wrong trim tab. I am embarrassed about that but I was really nervous!!! I cut the trim back to neutral and the motor shut down.

I was drenched with sweat from head to toe. I felt I had accomplished what I wanted and packed up the plane and went home. I will add a few more ounces of weight to the nose and fly her again soon. Thanks for reading my maiden episode...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAIDEN_01.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	129579   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAIDEN_02.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	129580  

Vic - WebMaster iFLYrc
Old 04-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #34
fc227
fc227

Default Gee Bee Hobby Lobby 63"

Hi everyone,

I know this is a old thread , But I and looking for a wing and Cowl for the 63" version Hobby Lobby Gee Bee Senior 63" red and white. If anyone has one they would like to sell please let me know.

God Speed, Fred

God Speed, Fred
Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #35
Cezzna

Nice plane

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)