General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

New Jersey has terrible winter weather !!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Thumbs down New Jersey has terrible winter weather !!

I can not remember such crummy weather.

Rich

I could not care less about flying, till some calm sunny days come back.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Are you having a bad day or a bad winter.

On Long Island we have had plenty of good weekend flying days this winter. Clearly you live in the wrong place.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Default Cabin fever.

Both.

Rich
Old 02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
elcamino
funflyer

I know what you mean im in pittsburgh its been to windy or to cold or to wet. but i am getting a lot of new planes built. I keep wating for global warming but with my luck ill get an iceage instead.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

cmon guys...only 36 more days till spring
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I can not remember such crummy weather.

Rich

I could not care less about flying, till some calm sunny days come back.
Tell me about it! On Wednesday morning, the snow had changed to freezing rains, coating everything and breaking trees. The frozen ground wasn't soaking anything up, so my basement sump pumps were working overtime(I don't live in an area prone to flooding, but because of the shale substrate in our area, the groundwater moves everywhere!). Our power went out at 7:30am, just as I was getting ready to head to work, and the basement started taking on water. Now, I've tried to keep all my r/c gear as well as anything else stored down there FAR above the floor in case of just such an occurrence, but our furnace sits less than a foot above the slab, then there's the washer and dryer and the dehumidifier. My wife and I spent an hour literally bailing out the basement with five gallon buckets. Once my daughter woke up and my wife had to tend to her, I knew this was going to be bad. I was lucky enough to have an idea before it was too late, and my wife called up the equipment rental store. We managed to get the last generator they had, even the home despot was sold out. By the time I had that set up and running, there was almost 4 inches of water in the basement, and the pumps were steaming by the time they caught up. I ran out to get some gas for the generator and sent the wife and baby to her parent's house since they had power. Of course, since trees were down everywhere, only one station in town had any fuel left because the delivery trucks couldn't get through. Anyway, power came back on either end of my street at about 7pm, so I was hopeful. At 11:30pm, I exhausted the fuel supply in the generator and what I had bought to refill it. The house was starting to get pretty cold (for indoors, anyway--it was under 50) and the water started filling up again. I was ready to uncork the sewer cleanout to drain the basement as a last resort and take the cats with me to the in-laws when the power FINALLY came back on at 11:55pm. I'm glad I remembered to shut off the furnace and washer dryer circuits before pulling the main, so all I had to do was figure out how to flick the main breaker w/o getting shocked. That accomplished, I passed out on the couch. Suckiest day in recent memory, thank you very much.

Yep, this New Jersey winter weather is GARBAGE! Once I get the basement dry, maybe I can think about flying again!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Get some more gas & oil for the generator. Wife said we are supposed to get a couple of inches on Monday Keep checking the weather.

Rich

Add some downspout lengths to the bottom of your gutters. They will carry the water from the roof away from the basment walls.

RICH
Old 02-15-2008, 06:33 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Get some more gas & oil for the generator. Wife said we are supposed to get a couple of inches on Monday Keep checking the weather.

Rich

Add some downspout lengths to the bottom of your gutters. They will carry the water from the roof away from the basment walls.

RICH
Yeah, the problem is that our backyard has a low point that collects surface water which infiltrates and then seeps in the back of the basement through the wall/floor joints as well as hydraulic pressure from below pushing it up. We're actually on the side of a hill so that the street in front is only a foot or so above our basement slab, and the sump drain line daylights at the curb gutter. The shale bedrock here does REALLY screwy things to the groundwater movement here. The gutters are already set up at the downhill end of the house, so that mitigates it somewhat. At least I don't have it as bad as the old farmhouse next door--they have a stone foundation and their basement is like a giant sieve. They don't even bother to try keeping it dry......ugh, I can't wait for some dry, warm weather so I can get the fleet out of the basement and fly!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Travis Bickle

At least it wasn't very snowy this winter.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 PM
jeholliday

Guess it happens almost every where. Several years ago after a horrendous rain storm I went to the basement to find the sump running full blast and a foot and a half of water in it. I guess you've seen what happens when water is swirling around in a basement. Lost one plane and several boxes of magazines also some odds and ends of stuff. Wife doesn't beleive me when I tell her I would rather have snow than rain. Of course here in Kansas we have those things called Tornados. Hope things get better for you guys. DOC Holliday
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 AM
kenpsych
Singing the lipo blues

It's a bad Northeast winter, especially for us by the shore. I'd love to see snow, that would make it a real winter! All we get is the damp, cold, wind and rain out here on LI. Project time...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 AM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Cool Work-- backlog ??

This winter is so bad, I am ACTUALLY FINISHING jobs I have put off for years.

OH OH, The pain of actually finishing a job I started.
All the guilt is disappearing.

Rich
Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Yeah, I know what you mean......Yesterday morning, I finally put the sheeting on a wing I started building 8 months ago......while standing in 1/4" of water on the floor from Sunday's rains. Oh well, at least we don't have Doc Holliday's tornados......often.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:19 PM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Unhappy Help me !

I have 10 planes ready for painting.

Give me 2 days of nice outside temperatures. Please.

Oh Oh The agony of not being able to paint outdoors.

Rich

And another day to paint the parts of 60 ......18" long models of a Great Lakes Freighter. Give them to kids on Wellsely Island this summer.

Rich
Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Thumbs up I will paint today.

No wind, dust or pollen.
Where did I leave those snow shoes ?

Rich