Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

EDF usage in Colorado

Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
ElectricAl
Al

Default EDF usage in Colorado

I have a friend in Colorado looking to try EDF. He has no internet so I said I would post this question.

He has been told that EDfs will not fly very well in his area due to the altitude. Denver area.

I have no clue on EDFs so could not help him out.

Any info on this?

THank you

Al
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 AM
fly_boy_bc

Default Yes the high altitude of Denver will make a big difference.

It will not make it impossible but you will want the largest diameter, highest power unit you can fit in your plane and higher "c" packs than you would otherwise need.

See here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130494
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

they said the same about IDF too.

the good news is the motors aren't less efficent. just the impeller.

flying ducted fan there tought me a lot. like don't build heavy and actually learn to fly and not rely on power to save you
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Actually EDF's do fly up here quite well, I've watched a few folks flying them around here.

Unfortunately, I don't fly EDF's so I can't offer much help.

Only thing I can offer is talking to them they all put a higher KV motor in their planes to get them to fly decent. They all said the motors suggested don't work up here real good. Almost sounds like propping up for the altitude on our planes.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Shredman

Default EDF's in High Altitude settings

All of the prior posts have been correct in advising of the need to increase the fan size and KV of the motor for your application. The first thing that needs to be decided on is what brand/type/make/model of aircraft that the electronics will be applied to.

Keeping the plane as light as possible will only help the flight that much more. Your application again will dictate the size of the EDF that can be used in most aircraft. Building a Hobby People F16, which is a great first EDF, will limit your EDF size. Can't put a 90mm EDF in a 68-70mm hole, it will decrease the structural integrity of the fuselage, even if fiberglassed.

Pick a couple planes that you are interested in flying and call some of the various hobby shops and talk to someone with some real experience in EDF's.

One of the sites/companies that has been very knowledgeable has been Dons RC. He is "The Don" of EDF applications, and supplies alot of the EDFs that have been used in many applications. My buddies have used his EDFs in various applications while flying in the Sierra Nevada Mountains without any issues. He will have a solution to your application for altitude flying. Sometimes the only difference is getting a 6 blade impeller, versus a 5 blade impeller.

Best of luck!

Ted