General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Please delete this thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Angry Please delete this thread

Sheesh. I spend nearly an hour trying to provide a public service by explaining the new Regs and hopefully dispel the fears and what do I get? Thrown under the bus. I guess no good deed ever does go unpunished.

Mods please hide or delete this thread.

I'm through being a good Samaritan.

Last edited by FlyWheel; 12-17-2015 at 01:51 PM. Reason: i give up
Old 12-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Flywheel,
With all due respect my friend, you may want to edit the above some of you answers make the answer false and not truth.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:23 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

FlyWheel.........

Excuse me, but when did a post or thread here NOT become an item of discussion......?

I'm also curious by what authority you also imply, do you bring to the table.........?

Sorry man, but your opinions have no more or less value to me than any other responsible member here at WattFlyer..........thanks for displaying your passion. I'm sure all of us feel a little frustrated in some fashion as well.........
Old 12-16-2015, 06:41 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Seems like there is always one person to rock the boat, in every thread. Anyone else notice that before?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:51 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Ahem
Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Default If it's not a discussion thread why post in the 'General Electric Discussions' forum?

If it's not a discussion thread why post in in the 'General Electric Discussions' forum Fact is this is a discussion forum and any thread in it is up for discussion, if the OP likes it or not.

While it doesn't effect me (being in the UK) your original post doesn't seem to address the reported $27,000 fine for non compliance with registration.

Your response
The registration number is only to track the owner of an aircraft that has been caught being used illegally or has been found. It's like the ID tags many of us already have in our planes in case of a fly away. It can even be used the same way, to return your lost bird to you, no harm done.
doesn't address the question of prosecution for non-compliance.. Clearly you can be prosecuted for non-compliance and it is theoretically possible that the FAA might just visit your field to enforce the rule.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 PM
formontoya

While it may be true that the FFA could send someone out to your field the likelihood of that happening (in the US anyway) are slim to none. The US already has more laws/bylaws/"what "I" want to see happen" type things that the truth is there is just not enough personnel to police this, especially at $5/head over 3 years.

As mentioned previously this new "thing" just keeps the honest people honest...the "bad seed" will continue to be such no matter what. I'm reasonably sure it will effect me as the field with a runway that I fly out of is county owned and operated so they will be checking for AMA and FFA certs so all is covered...the retention pond/bayou field by the house for "belly landers" will be free to fly without issue but I will be in compliance anyway.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Brner
AMA16634

hmmmmm...you first say this is not a discussion thread (I doubt the administrators here will enforce your wishes), but then you go on to offer your opinion (discussion) on how this Rule reads and will be enforced.....you are entitled to your opinion of course, AS ARE WE!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
While it may be true that the FFA could send someone out to your field the likelihood of that happening (in the US anyway) are slim to none.
I agree, but the theoretical possibility is there and they might be able to generate a good income by doing it, so don't write it off entirely.

A more realistic risk is if you fly at a local park or similar public space and the police just happen to be passing by...I'm not sure if the police have jurisdiction, but they could pass your name on if they discover that you are unregistered.

Bottom line is there is no point in having a rule if you aren't going to enforce it.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Brner
AMA16634

Since your opinion is the only opinion that you wanted in this thread, maybe you can offer it on this:

Please tell the curious how having the law abiding modelers information and money helps the FAA or other law enforcement agencies identify the ones that are creating problems....you know, the ones that don't and won't register! That was the main impetus for the FAA developing this Rule!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 PM
formontoya

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Bottom line is there is no point in having a rule if you aren't going to enforce it.
While I certainly agree with the surface of your statement...both our countries have numerous laws on the books that are not enforced...and the regular "Joe" cop could give a about this until something goes sideways.

Can it happen...yes.
If I did not register would I worry about it...no.

For me, the only reason I joined AMA was to fly at the above mentioned field as it has a superb runway that handles bigger planes than I will ever fly. The only reason I will register with the FFA is that it will be required by the same field eventually.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:19 PM
Brian VT

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
Please tell the curious how having the law abiding modelers information and money helps the FAA or other law enforcement agencies identify the ones that are creating problems....you know, the ones that don't and won't register!
Same as with guns.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
flywheel.........

Excuse me, but when did a post or thread here not become an item of discussion......?

I'm also curious by what authority you also imply, do you bring to the table.........?

Sorry man, but your opinions have no more or less value to me than any other responsible member here at wattflyer..........thanks for displaying your passion. I'm sure all of us feel a little frustrated in some fashion as well.........
yes , many times
Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Seems like there is always one person to rock the boat, in every thread. Anyone else notice that before?
YES, One in every bunch.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:07 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

In reference to the original post, by the truest definition of a forum

" a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

You cannot expect people not to respond to your post. That's just how it works.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:29 PM
FlyWheel

I did not say you couldn't post, only that posts should be of further info and or updates, not opinions and or flames:
Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Please do not use it for comments. However any other clarifications or updates regarding the new regulations are welcome, please feel free to post them here.
This was to avoid what I knew would happen:
If it is possible for me to moderate this thread, please, someone PM me and let me know how. I have no illusions that these wishes will be followed.

As for my references? Fine. You can find them right here: www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

Please, point out the errors in my "Truths" and show your references.

Last edited by FlyWheel; 12-16-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: deleted last line of post
Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Henry Sistrunk

AMEM
Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Please, point out the errors in my "Truths" and show your references.

I for one wasn't point out errors as such, simply that your 'truth' in relation to the question (paraphrasing) "will the FAA come down to the flying field and prosecute me for non registration" didn't actually answer that question.

We all know that the general intent of the regs are to make it easier to catch people who use RC 'drones' irresponsibly. But the fact remains that under the new regs non-registration in itself becomes an offence. You could be the safest and most responsible flyer around but if you didn't register then you are libel to a $27000 fine...
And Yes, the FAA could come down to the flying field to try to catch you in the act of non registered 'drone' operation and prosecute you. If they plan to do so know one really knows except the FAA and I don't suppose they are about to say.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I already have the decal sheet ready for Monday. I'll use a very small font. Considering the 185,000 AMA members with multiple aircraft and the greater than > 1 million non AMA members not to mention the little $h!t$ getting a drone for Christmas, they'll be some printers busy in the weeks to come. A possible run on ink cartridges? LOL

All I can say is their website where you have to use a credit card better have : 'https' Leave it to the feds to have us all hacked.

Next they'll have some kind of A&P certificate for RC. Have to pass annual FAA inspections. TBO 50 flights?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:58 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Who gives a crap? I do not need any stinking rules. I do whatever I want.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:42 AM
maxflyer

Oh you rebel you!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:37 AM
c.sitas

MY friend ,you don't know how I have to bite my tongue.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 PM
FlyWheel

Thumbs down

Sheesh. I spend nearly an hour trying to provide a public service by explaining the new Regs and hopefully dispel the fears and what do I get? Thrown under the bus. I guess no good deed ever does go unpunished.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Please reconsider and leave it here. I believe it will help all of us. One or two bad apples will spoil the whole barrel.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

As said many times by various over centuries :

Rules are made to enforce but also to provide the means to prosecute.

A road speed limit does not stop you speeding, but get caught and the rule gives authority for the 'ticket' / prosecution.

So yes - thousands will not register. BUT those thousands could provide a few fines and prosecutions that jivvy up the financial side and make the $5 registration fee plausible.

The rule as I see it - is not to police the good - but to provide means to prosecute the bad. It will also probably lead to further deeper guidelines that could lead to dear old Haughwart being jailed ! Now that's got to be worth something ...

Dear Flywheel : Throwing your toys out of the pram will not stop anyone commenting and some will not be in line with your wishes. Such is life. We all have ups and downs. You happened to try and answer / provide info on a very sensitive subject, one that is obvious many do not read all the online info properly before posting their views on it. I live in Baltics but I read the relevant online info and I agree with you that too many assumed 'facts' have been made by people. That does not mean I say you are right in all your 'facts'. RCGroups are having a field day with it ... and far worse than here. But that's typical over there.
The Latvian group I fly with - its taken over the SKYPE conferencing we do each evening - its that sensitive. We are scared the experiment will cross over the water to EU land !

What the future will hold depends on you guys, US modelling community as a whole and whether you push AMA into a corner on it to fight FAA.

What some tend to forget as well - Licence fee to a Govt Appointed body usually is not expected to fund the system. Its a token gesture to make it a payable and therefore enforceable Licence system. Your taxes and Govt funding pays FAA.

Nigel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11477 seconds with 11 queries