General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Receiver switch on large electrics?

Old 10-08-2020, 03:39 PM
StevenShelby

Default Receiver switch on large electrics?

Putting together a CG Extra 300 using a Rimfire 120 and Spektrum 80 ESC. Wondering if installation of a receiver switch is appropriate. I'm still a bit old school gas/nitro and it seems natural to use a switch. However, I can't imagine plugging in a large battery and depending on a low power receiver switch to control the on-off event. What method are most people using in larger, high power electrics? Most of my electric experience is with small park flyers.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Basically unless you have a model with permanent installed battery - there is no need for Rx switch.
If you did install a Rx switch - then a normal RC Rx switch is more than enough as its only cutting the 5 - 6V low power Rx supply and has nothing to do with the high power motor supply. But I suggest its not a good idea to have power to ESC / motor and Rx cut out ...

Better idea is to use the Throttle Cut switch on your Tx.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Since you shouldn't leave a Lipo plugged into an ESC for long term waiting or storage, always unplug it.
I have seen a rare ESC with a switch on the receiver lead, but very uncommon today.
Some ESCs used to have an arming button. They didn't do much until you pushed the button, telling them you are ready to go.

I have made a total safe switch by using a series battery connector with one of the battery connectors glued into the side of my seaplane. I made a shorted out battery plug that goes into that when I am ready to fly. It takes a few minutes to get inside the seaplane, so I wanted something that other people could figure out.
The battery plugs into the lead hanging from the inside of the plane, the ESC is plugged into the other lead.
You can buy them also,
here is just one listing, although it has Deans connectors, I had problems with them so now I only use XT60s.
http://www.sharprc.com/armsafe-kit-w...e-max-80-amps/
Old 10-08-2020, 09:39 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The only OEM switch I saw on an electric model was the arming button for a Brushed motor setup. I believe that was based on being able to leave the NiCd / NiMh power pack in the model and still charge it ... BUT the arming ONLY connected the motor ... the RX was still powered all time pack was connected.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:42 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

What would be the value of a receiver switch? Will you have a separate receiver battery from the main motor battery? That can be done but is rare these days. Normally you run the motor and the receiver from the same battery. The receiver gets its power from the ESC or from a separate device that steps the voltage down.

Normally, with electrics, you put the battery in when you are ready to fly and you disconnect it when you are done so you can charge. So, what does the switch do?

BTW, if you switch off the receiver while you still have the motor battery in, that means that there is nothing controlling the motor while it is still powered. I would not recommend that.