Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Beginners, go to your local club!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Default Beginners, go to your local club!

I had such a nice experience and a bit of an epiphany this weekend. We had two kids, about 11-12 years old who showed up at the flying field along with their parents. One had a HobbyZone Super Cub and one had a Wild Hawk.

We helped them get their planes in the air and gave them some stick time. It was just such a nice experience to be able to help a beginner (especially since I have very clear memories from my first few "flights"). One of the kids stayed and watched us fly our own planes for about an hour and asked about 100 questions. I think he learned a lot during that hour that he'll be able to take advantage of going forward.

So, what I'm trying to say here is that if you're beginner, don't be intimidated by the experienced pilots and their big, fast planes like I was at first. Go to your local club (I bet there is one close to where you live) and let they guys help you out. I think most people love helping beginners. Then you can go back and fly in your local park, but I bet you're going to love the camaraderie of a club and sooner or later end up as a member!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Nice Post.

I felt very intimidated about going to a club at first also. I had hear that "those guys" were not very friendly and were not welcoming of new people. So I continued to fly at the local HS with my son for a long time. We eventually joined the AMA just to be able to fly at Hodges Hobbies when we went down for the first fall Electric fly in. I won the big E-Flite Super Airliner at that fly in and knew I would not be able to fly it at the school.

My current club was having the first ever electric fly in that next weekend so we went and checked it out and boy did I find out I was wrong about this club. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Of course that was the fly in so I wanted to get a real taste of the club themselves. The family picnic was a few weeks later and we were invited to attend so we did. Maidened my Airliner that day and joined the club too.

I have never regretted that and I love to see new folks come out to our field. I can only hope I give them the same kind of impression I got when I first visited my club.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

+2....local clubs and HELP to learn to fly rock.

Be the guy in your club - when you see a spectator you invite to come over. Walk in the pits, talk to them about what you do. Help the newbies. It is so important to the survival of our great hobby.

Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 PM
HobbyJumper

Wow. Nice story. Sure doesn't some like my local club (I know from experience).
Old 11-07-2011, 01:57 AM
B builder

I went to my local club just to watch,Hawk field in mansfield. The people were very nice and let me fly with a buddy box. Had a good time and learned alot.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by B builder View Post
I went to my local club just to watch,Hawk field in mansfield. The people were very nice and let me fly with a buddy box. Had a good time and learned alot.
Welcome - I too am in the metroplex. If you want to come to the 114th in Grapevine let me know!

Mike
Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 AM
B builder

what is the 114th
Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

what is the 114th
http://114thrc.org/

My club field.

Mike
Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I agree Njswede. The clubs can be a big help. I really enjoyed what a club in Arizona is doing now. Saw it in the last AMA Model Aviation magazine. They offer a sort of beginners day shortly after Christmas, where people can bring in the RC planes they got at Christmas, and club members will help them assemble the planes, give basic education on flying, and even stick time. They got in the newspaper and air time on their local TV news beforehand to get the word out. What a great idea. Can you imagine how many RC planes and heli's get purchased for Christmas, then either get instantly destroyed or go into a closet forever?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Our club welcomes visitors to the field all the time. Most of our new members are people who were given their first RC experience at our field.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:22 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

your all welcome to come visit or join rcrcc NY[Rockland county remote control club]. i like hanging out as much as flying.sit back in a comfy chair under a tent and chat away in between flying. it's an awesome thing to join a good club and meet new friends.

must say though,the difference between the first club i joined to the one I'm in now is night and day...it's good to be in the rcrcc group.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 AM
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Welcome - I too am in the metroplex. If you want to come to the 114th in Grapevine let me know!

Mike
Heh... I was just flying at the 114th (my home field) with a guy from Hawk Field
Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 AM
kdelca7470

great thread and advice here!!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

How to find clubs in your area:

I am not saying you have to join a club, but it is at least worth a look. I have at least 5 clubs that are conveniently located. Each has a different character. When I was starting out I found some welcoming and some less so. But I am happy I found one that was a perfect fit for me and it has made the flying experience so much richer for me.

If you are new to the hobby, I strongly suggest you seek out the clubs in your area. You don't have to join but it would be good to at least see what they are like. Who knows, a club might be exactly what you want.

If you don't know how to find them here are some links that may be helpful.

In the United States of America - The Academy of Model Aeronautics
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Note that the club address is probably not the field address, it is probably a member of the club. My field is a mile from my house but the club's address is about 15 miles from my house.

In Canada
http://www.maac.ca/zones/maac_zone_map.php

In the UK
http://www.bmfa.org/clubs/index.html

Other parts of the world
http://www.allinflight.com/aeromod/a...ssociation.htm

Stop in and chat with the members. There is probably a club in your area that is made up of people who share your interests and who would richen your flying experience.

If there are no clubs in your area, then start one. Contact the AMA or the organizing body in your country and find out what it takes to start a club. It is highly likely that there are other people in your area who would just LOVE to join, if they only knew there was a club. Most of these people are folks you would love to meet.

If you are near Long Island, NY, stop by our club, the Long Island Silent Flyers, www.lisf.org
Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

A nice thing about my are and our local clubs is that we have a group council called the Tidewater area RC Council (TARC)

Any member of a TARC club has full rights to fly at any of the TARC clubs with their primary club membership. So in essence I am a member of several clubs and am always welcomed at all of them when I go fly!

I really do love this hobby!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:48 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Today, one of the kids showed up with proof of AMA membership and with an application already filled out for club membership. Another poor soul dragged down into the depth of RC addiction!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
epoweredrcgirl09
3D Chick

Nice post. I have to honestly say that I wasn't intimidated by guys flying better than me.

All the guys I have met are really nice and fun to fly with. My mama came out to the field with us a week ago and I let her fly on buddy box and now she want a plane of her own lol.

Yea I know some guys who don't want to join a club or pay for AMA so they stick to parks and park flyers.

I hardly see any guys my age flying planes(who are joined to a club). there either older or younger.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by epoweredrcgirl09 View Post
I hardly see any guys my age flying planes(who are joined to a club). there either older or younger.
I had to check your profile... You're 22 and when I was that age, like most people, I was way too busy chasing girls and making a fool of myself. That's why you're not going to see a lot of 20-30 year-olds.

In my case, RC-flying is a typical midlife-crisis thing: It's one of those things I always wanted to do when I was younger that I wanted to scratch off the bucket list... Little did I know that it would dominate my life, second only to my wife and kids! But as they say "if this is wrong, I don't want to be right".
Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Never mind
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by epoweredrcgirl09 View Post
Nice post. I have to honestly say that I wasn't intimidated by guys flying better than me.

All the guys I have met are really nice and fun to fly with. My mama came out to the field with us a week ago and I let her fly on buddy box and now she want a plane of her own lol.

Yea I know some guys who don't want to join a club or pay for AMA so they stick to parks and park flyers.

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I had to check your profile... You're 22 and when I was that age, like most people, I was way too busy chasing girls and making a fool of myself. That's why you're not going to see a lot of 20-30 year-olds.

In my case, RC-flying is a typical midlife-crisis thing: It's one of those things I always wanted to do when I was younger that I wanted to scratch off the bucket list... Little did I know that it would dominate my life, second only to my wife and kids! But as they say "if this is wrong, I don't want to be right".
It may be rare in some clubs but we have a lot of younger 20 somethings in our club. I guess it's because of all our young military guys in the area (most of them are military, but not all) We also have several teenagers too. My son and one other are the two main guys and Mason, my Son, was just appointed as Safety Officer for our club.

There is hope for the younger set!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 AM
E-Challenged

Don't expect everyone in a club to be welcoming, some are shy, some tend to be clannish, some only want a place to fly. You will find that club officers and instructors and other club members will usually "bend over backwards" to help you along to become an active and sucessful member of their club. Most clubs need "new blood" to eventually become officers and helpers along with enjoying model flying
Old 11-15-2011, 06:07 AM
epoweredrcgirl09
3D Chick

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post

I guess I need to update my profile. I am 24 now lol.

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
It may be rare in some clubs but we have a lot of younger 20 somethings in our club. I guess it's because of all our young military guys in the area (most of them are military, but not all) We also have several teenagers too. My son and one other are the two main guys and Mason, my Son, was just appointed as Safety Officer for our club.

There is hope for the younger set!

Yea most guys my age are not into joining clubs they are just Sunday park flyers Except in this one club a mile down the road from the field I fly at. I wish I could see more girls my age into RC that in my area but that just dreaming now lol