Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

What is Heli Cup?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:01 PM
wattflyer6161

Default What is Heli Cup?

I know it is competition, but how do you compete? Is best looking? Fastest? Last flying? Just curious!

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 PM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

haven't been to one but I imagine it would be similar to IMAC, where you have a set pattern of maneuvers to complete, or possibly just an all out 3D freestyle. or both...

I did say I didn't know ....lol
Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

I have a few videos from last year's MicroHeli Cup (downloaded from Ken Dill's site a while back).

From the videos I have it looks like the comp last year was pure freestyle set to music. Most likely this year's comp will be the same as the space they were flying in is pretty limiting for some manuevers (low ceiling, so 540 stall turns would be especially difficult, full autorotations are completely impossible, let alone acrobatic autos).

They were doing lots of funnels, bladescraping, piroflips. hurricanes, tictocs and such, but not every competitor was doing the same manuevers, so I doubt that it's an IMAC style maneuver sheet.

-Kai
Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 PM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden View Post
I have a few videos from last year's MicroHeli Cup (downloaded from Ken Dill's site a while back).

From the videos I have it looks like the comp last year was pure freestyle set to music. Most likely this year's comp will be the same as the space they were flying in is pretty limiting for some manuevers (low ceiling, so 540 stall turns would be especially difficult, full autorotations are completely impossible, let alone acrobatic autos).

They were doing lots of funnels, bladescraping, piroflips. hurricanes, tictocs and such, but not every competitor was doing the same manuevers, so I doubt that it's an IMAC style maneuver sheet.

-Kai
cool, thanks for the info, Kai. I wasn't sure but that makes more sense than an IMAC style contest....
Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 AM
wattflyer6161

Can I see the videos?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

Originally Posted by wattflyer6161 View Post
Can I see the videos?

Thanks
I only have 3 of the videos (Nick Maxwell's bladeCP in the finals, his Trex in the finals, and Adam Turner's Swift demonstration where he hit the rafters ), and I would have to have Ken's permission to redistribute it through a public thread (he no longer has them hosted on his site).

If you want them I can upload them to my buddy's site, but it will take me a while to upload them (they are rather large). Shoot me a PM if you don't mind a large download and I'll PM you back with a link when I have them uploaded.

-Kai
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Kai_Shiden
Crazy Heli TechnoGeek

Hey, what do you know, I found one of the vids on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhvF3SymuIA

It's of Nick Maxwell's Trex SE, it's not marked as to which in the series it is, but I believe that this was one of the preliminary flights (I have the video of his flight in the finals and the landing was different).

Edit: And of course, just after I hit submit, I found the RCuniverse page for the comp: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=782 (with downloadable vids of each flights). The page confirms that last year's event was a freestyle comp, but did have some "compulsory" maneuvers.

-Kai
Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 AM
singingperry

A heli cup is my first wife's bra "Thats a HELI CUP!"