Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

How to Fly an HZ Champ

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
wolfewinde

Default How to Fly an HZ Champ

I thought I would start this thread to give Champ pilots some tips on how to have good experience with this airplane. Not that I am an expert by any means, but hopefully other will chime in with some good pointers.

I read a lot of posts where Champs are lost in trees and just seem to fly away. I hope this thread will help prevent that.

I think the first thing you need to understand is that this airplane has a very limited range receiver and transmitter. It is just not meant to be flown very far away from wherever you are standing, or very high up.

Altitude

If you can keep this airplane in the 25' to 75' range in altitude you will have much less chance of losing it. Be aware that the winds are often different when you get 100" off the ground. They can be much stronger than you think they are, and they can easily and quickly carry the Champ out of TX range - then it is just gone. This is not meant to be an airplane that floats majestically off into any distance. It is too small and too light for that, and way too susceptible to a gust of wind that will carry it away or park it in a tree.

Distance

Keep this plane in close and away from any trees to start with. . Try not to let the airplane get more than about 25 - 50 yards away from you. Keep it in front of you at all times and upwind - so the wind wants to blow it back towards you - not away from you.

Training

The best way to use a Champ to progress in the hobby is to use it to learn to fly consistent, level figure eights. You can do that in close. I think the goal should be to learn to fly consistent eye level figure eights in a space not larger than a basketball court. Once you can do that, you can handle a more advanced airplane.

Upgrading

When it is time to upgrade you will do yourself a huge favor if you invest in a good computerized radio to start with. Something like a Spectrum DX61 or something comparable. As you advance in the hobby, nothing will help you fly new planes successfully more than a decent radio. You can rebind the Champ to any radio with similar Technology. After that you can get away from buying RTF airplanes which tend to be more expensive with inferior electronic and end up having you pay for stacking up an endless supply of inferior radios that you will never use again.

Hope this helps save an airplane.

Wolfe
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
tr4252

This is all good advice; I'd add that a Simulator would be useful for the first time RC hobbyist. I got one (FMS) for free after I'd already banged up the Champ pretty good. I know it would have given me the reflexes I lacked when first flying the plane.

Another topic would be Weather. Don't fly in the wind, at first; smallish 1 oz. airplanes are a lot like dry leaves. The slightest breeze does funny things to them.

The little monster is very forgiving; it's so light that it resists damage. And the damage you sustain is easier to repair. I remember taking it out the 5th or 6th time, and commenting to a friend who came along that I was pleased with myself; it was the first time I'd managed to keep it in the air for more than a minute or two. A short while later, when I landed it, his dog ripped it to shreds. Even utterly destroyed, the Champ was made flyable again with some Gorilla glue and tape, though it's a bit lopsided and flys funny. Bashing it into the ground, buildings, trees, my girlfriend's head, etc. has only added character to it. It's a great little plane.

Tom
Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 AM
wolfewinde

BAD DOGGY

Wolfe