WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Scratch Built Foamy DR1 Fokker 30" WS

Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
GITech001
G.I.T. it...got it GOOD!

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Jay, If you want to return a favor, just keep building a top notch product like you are already doing and giving great customer support, that will be enough thanks for me or you can add me in your WILL just kidding, you know what? I have a son your age he is going on 30 and a son 28 and another son 26, I adopted you, so you are my 4 son
I does my heart good to see a young person starting their own buisness, and make a go at it, I know what your going through, as I had my own buisness too, and long hours and sat and sundays sometimes to catch up, been there, done that, I know I dont look my age the Lord has been good to me, Take care & have fun, Chellie

MISS HYDRO 1.5 the best of the best

http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp?page=policy

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...312#post125312

Awwwwwww!!!!!...Thank you Chellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am speechless...I have avoided replying for a few days because I just don't know ..... how to respond ... I recieve no support from my mother or old friends (and altimately I am doing this for them). It is mind boggling how nice YOU are and the people and neihborhood kids are who help me at the store!

It's a different world from where I come from!

I accept your adoption... I would be happy to be a part of your family and be your friend too. Mine has really left me out to dry. That is OK though! They will enjoy their new cars someday! (We all drive old cars now)

Tell your Sons I say HI!!!!!!!!!! I am 29 and my birthday is 4/20! so I am going on 30 too!!! Cool!

The Lord has been nice to you! It is good to see someone relaying some(LOTS) of that kindness on to others!

Ok, got to go! On to my next duty!

Your build and skills are incredible Chellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTYL,
Jay
GITaHobby.com
Old 01-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Chellie,

I can't wait to see it! Good luck
A little late with this post, wouldn't ya say?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:58 PM
wannafly

CHELLIE....what can I say , you da bomb babe..
Nearly done , hang in there it's going to be stunning I'm SURE.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Wannafly Its almost there , I will be working on it some more this weekend, and maybe just maybe I will get it done

Hi Airhead I just want to fly it now Now I remember why I like ARF planes so much Take care everyone, Chellie
Old 02-03-2007, 02:02 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default Dr1 Foker Build

Hi Everyone I am at it again, here is what has been done so far.

1. made 2 U Brackets to glue into the fuse to hold the wings on, for the
bottom wing & middle wing.
2. made some prick holes in the inside of the fuse foam so the glue will
hold better to the foam, where the u brackets will be attached to.
3. used levels to keep every thing straight, I hope glued the bracket
mounts in place using 30 min epoxy, with the wings attached to the
brackets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLDERwing.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	23367   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLDERwing2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	23368   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLDERwing3.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	23369   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLDERwing4.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	23370   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLDERwing5.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	23371  

Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Talking DR1 Fokker Build or Should have bought a ARF

Hi, Again went out and had dinner, then had to rush back home to work some more on my DR1 ok ok , just kidding, I am making some taps and glueing them in for the wing supports, had to make 8 of them, then the wing supports will be screwed onto the taps, the wood shown in the picture is a guide, to align where the tap on the upper wing needs to be at, started from the bottom wing up, so far so good, the foam wing was notched into the bass wood brace thats in the wing, and the tabs were epoxied in place, Chellie

Name:	SUPPORTSwing1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	23382   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUPPORTSwing2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	23383   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUPPORTSwing3.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	23384  
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2007, 09:29 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default Dr1 Fokker

Hi Again Its getting there, attached the wings with the struts on the outside of the wings, still need to make the supports for the top wing in the middle, After a marqarita or 2 or 3 to help me THINK I should be able to think of something that will work hey its the weekend, and I am not flying :p at this point the weight is 13 oz, I think I should be able to meet my goal of 24oz AUW, take care, Chellie

Name:	PAIN1.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	23410   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAIN2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	23411   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAIN3.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	23412  
Old 02-04-2007, 04:53 AM
GITech001
G.I.T. it...got it GOOD!

Default I back!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone!!!

Sorry for the late reply!!! My internet has been down for three days and coupled with the move to my new store this week I haven't had the time to do anything else for several days now.

I have 35 emails to respond to and many threads to catch up on tonight!

Your build is looking AWSOME Chellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to you soon!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:05 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default DR1 Fokker Build

Hi Everyone did a little more to the DR1, its got a paint job now
I need to install the electronics, and wheels, build 2 machine guns, and time them, so they shoot through the prop I am using a cowl from my retired F4U corsair, that GWS foam plane had a twisted wing, it was twisted so the right wing was down, I was wondering why it pulled real bad to the right, and Left trim and left thrust did not help, It was hard to see with a gull wing, oh well, I will be adding the decals to the DR1 today, and make a motor mount, and try to figure out how to make a landing gear for it, Take care & Have fun, Chellie

Name:	PAIN4.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	23526   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAIN5.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	23527   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAIN6.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	23528   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAIN7.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	23529  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I like that level, pretty neat!!

looks like everything is coming together nicely with great detail. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Dave (whens the kit coming?)
Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default DR1 FOKKER Almost Done

Hi Everyone Its getting there, Painted the fuse today, added decals,
installed the cowl temp. made some supports for the middle to top wing, and epoxied them in place, made them from bambo rods, just need to make the machine guns and time them so I dont shoot the prop off
make the front landing gear and add the electronics, Its a ARF now the weight at this time is 14 oz, here are a few more pics.

Name:	DONE1.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	23534   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONE2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	23535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONE3.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	23536   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONE4.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	23537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONE5.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	23538  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DONE6.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	23539  
Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
I like that level, pretty neat!!

looks like everything is coming together nicely with great detail. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Dave (whens the kit coming?)
Hi Dave well its a ARF now, on the level I had to make something that would attach to the wing and show when its level, so I made that up, it works good, it slides for different size wings, and has a v notch to center the level, I saw something like it, so that gave me the idea on how to make it, this was a lot of work and was a challange, it took everything that i had learned to do it, but it was fun, maybe by next week, I will get a chance to fly it, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-05-2007, 06:14 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

wow...very impressive

Dave
Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

What a great job Chellie!

Everything looks great!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Spoonwasher

Nice Build Chellie....Looks like it will be a nice plane. I did notice that you are using a symetical airfoil on your DR1. I thought the folkers used undercamberd airfoils ? Was this choice for ease of build, or ease of flying ? Just wondered what led you to use this type of airfoil for your tripe....Plane looks great though...nice job
DM.
Ps..I pylon raced the GWS warbirds last flying season...I ended up picking the Corsair as my Me109's had wing warp that I couldn't get out.It also turned out to be a more stable flyer in light winds.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Spoonwasher View Post
Nice Build Chellie....Looks like it will be a nice plane. I did notice that you are using a symetical airfoil on your DR1. I thought the folkers used undercamberd airfoils ? Was this choice for ease of build, or ease of flying ? Just wondered what led you to use this type of airfoil for your tripe....Plane looks great though...nice job
DM.
Ps..I pylon raced the GWS warbirds last flying season...I ended up picking the Corsair as my Me109's had wing warp that I couldn't get out.It also turned out to be a more stable flyer in light winds.
Hi Spoonwasher I used the symetical wings for ease of flying and doing mild aerobatics, it was also easier to build it that way too I built the wings on the thin side too, so I would not have a lot of drag, thank you on the complements, I tried I had a GWS F4U corsair that I built, and it had a twisted wing too, I did not notice it at first, because its a little hard to see that with a gull wing, it kept pulling to the right, and full left aileron trim did not help , and left thrust did not help too, I found it , finally
I retired that plane and built this DR1, the F4U did not go to waist, I used the cowl from it Take care & have fun, Chellie
Old 02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Spoonwasher

Hello Again Chellie....Thanks for the feed back on your build choice.I just wondered if there was some "other" advantage that I may have missed.Most of my builds have been flat bottom high lift and some undercambered builds. I try to consider the slow flight traits of high lift wings for landings and a more relaxed sunday flying.With that said, I have a pile of models that get one's blood pumping too when I need the fix...Lol
When leaving for work yesterday afternoon i noticed a small package in the mailbox...my servo's & speed controls are here...ye haw...back to the build board to get some projects finished....with the extra servo's I can now look to starting a "Flat-out" Tripe of the folker for some indoor flying I do.One of my fellow flyers here built one and I saw him fly it indoor last month. He gave me a link to the build here in wattflyer and it flew well and looked great for a flatty.I think the tripe wings take your eye away fron the flat fuse used and the tripes have a wide variety of scale colours to finish these in.Flatout tripes look great in Hoover...lol...If the Red Baron only new...LoL..we may never have shot him down....
Old 02-09-2007, 03:55 AM
GITech001
G.I.T. it...got it GOOD!

Talking

WOW...WOW...WOW...that's incredible mom!

If I didn't see you building it...I wouldn't have believed it!!!!

I want one just to look at...nevermind flying it!!! Hehe

It is beautiful!!!!! Can you GIT a clear pic of it? I want to use it as a desktop background!

TTYL,
Jay
GITaHobby.com
Old 02-09-2007, 04:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Jay Ok, I am not that great at taking pics as you can see I will break out my tri pod to hold the camera still will GIT back to you soon, I want to send you one with the landing gear installed and the machine guns, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-09-2007, 04:17 AM
rcav8r

Hay Chellie; It's really coming along!!!! Love the paint job. Hope I can get mine on the C123 1/2 as nice ( thanks for the plug BtW), then again it's looking good in pink
Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default DR1 FOKKER Landing gear build

Hi Everyone I am attempting to make a landing gear for the DR1, I am making it out of wood dowels and thin plywood, the landing gear will be glued in with 30 min epoxy, here is what I have So Far, wish me luck Chellie

Name:	dr1LANDINGGEAR.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	23977   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1LANDINGGEAR1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	23978   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1LANDINGGEAR2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	23979  
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 AM
proffcharlie

Looks GREAT !!! I wish I would ave seen your post sooner. Somewhere in my storage I have one of the Stick And Tissue kits from either Gillow or Comet (I think Gillow). Could have possibilly saved you some headaches. I have to work tomorrow but on the way home I'll try to stop by the storage center and pick up the kit. From there I'll try to scan the plans and attach the file to an email for you. I would use an email because I have no idea of how to put them in this forum. Shoot me a quick email at [email protected] so I have your address. With the plans you can see how the gear is set up. I know you already have the basic gear set made but it might have been lighter if you had used either carbon fiber rods or thin piano wire sandwitched between balsa or foam planks.Don't forget to make the airfoil that goes between the wheels. I always wondered why it was not called a Quadplane instead of a Triplane.

Charlie
Old 02-11-2007, 03:03 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default DR1 Landing gear Build

Hi Everyone Finally got the landing gear done :p used some aileron balsa for the wing between the wheels, using the wheels from my retired F4U corsair,Well thats the best I can do It seems to be strong, but time will tell and so will my flying here are a few more pics of the finished landing gear, Take care, Chellie

Name:	dr1LANDINGGEAR4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	23998   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1LANDINGGEAR5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	23999   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1LANDINGGEAR6.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	24000   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1LANDINGGEAR8.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	24001   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1landing7.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	24002  

Old 02-11-2007, 03:13 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Charlie your sweet I finally got the Landing gear together, I think it will be ok, it seems to be very strong, only time and my flying will tell I dont want you to go out of your way, I Greatly appreiate your offer, Thank you very very much, Thank you for the complements Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I posted some pictures of the landing gear on my triplane on the other thread for you.

My triplane wants to meet your triplane over the Western front.

Don

Name:	triplane 001.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	24013

Name:	triplane 002.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	24014

Quick Reply: Scratch Built Foamy DR1 Fokker 30" WS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.22540 seconds with 42 queries