Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

iMax B5 charger

Old 05-14-2007, 05:21 PM
daniirwan
Freezes when panicking

Smile iMax B5 charger

Hello fellas,

I'm new to this forum and a relative new comer to the world of RC flight. I have a glo trainer as my 1st plane and altho I'm enjoying it, i'm eager to venture into e-powered flight. I hope you guys can help me out..

I'd like to get any opinions or 1st hand experiences regarding the iMax B5 balance charger. does anyone have it or tried using it? here's the linky:

http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=414

it retails for USD70 so it fits nicely in my budget. apparently i've been told that this charger has the same, identical innards as other brands of chargers, e.g the Multiplex LN5014 and also the Tahmazo T15, due to it being produced from a single factory in Korea..

I'd really appreciate any feedback/advice..TQ.

regards,

-Dani

Last edited by daniirwan; 05-14-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Poweredge
www.PowerEdgeRC.com

It is produced in China and is a knock off the Bantam chargers which is produced in South Korea. Reports haven't been that stellar, you can search RCU and RCG for yourself.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:46 AM
daniirwan
Freezes when panicking

Tq for the info. i'd be grateful if u can give me a link to a review of the iMax B5 charger.

Originally Posted by RC Accessory View Post
It is produced in China and is a knock off the Bantam chargers which is produced in South Korea. Reports haven't been that stellar, you can search RCU and RCG for yourself.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
kgfly

You will have to buy a DC power supply to go with that charger, consider an eStation BC6 (~$170) instead. Integrated ac/dc power supply, full multichemistry support, integrated 2s-6s balancer. More than you might have been planning to spend but a very nice unit with a good reputation.

If you just want a LiPo charger (don't need or care about Pb/NiCd/NiMH) then consider the FMADirect Cellpro4S (~$75). Also needs a DC power supply but has excellent features and performance at a bargain price.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:57 PM
daniirwan
Freezes when panicking

Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
You will have to buy a DC power supply to go with that charger, consider an eStation BC6 (~$170) instead. Integrated ac/dc power supply, full multichemistry support, integrated 2s-6s balancer. More than you might have been planning to spend but a very nice unit with a good reputation.

If you just want a LiPo charger (don't need or care about Pb/NiCd/NiMH) then consider the FMADirect Cellpro4S (~$75). Also needs a DC power supply but has excellent features and performance at a bargain price.
aha..already read the review of the iMax B5 over at RCG..apparently a guy had bought it and said he's very happy with it..hmmm. wish i had the guts to take a leap of faith like him.

kgfly, tq for suggesting the BC6..the features are great and i believe it's waaay better than the iMax B5. it's truly all the charger you need eh..what with the capability to charge/discharge/balance virtually any kind of batteries, built in power supply, etc etc..i'm drooling already! heheh. sadly, it's a bit out of my budget range.

back to the iMax B5, it being incapable to discharge battery packs worries me..do i really need to discharge packs before/after i fly? or is balancing them good enough? quite a number of chargers with balancers doesnt have the discharge feature either..which makes me think that maybe this discharging stuff is not really essential...is this true?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM
kgfly

Discharging is needed for the long term maintenance of NiCd/NiMH batteries but is not vital for LiPo/LiIon/LiFe batteries.

Remember that you will be maintaining batteries that themselves cost anywhere from $30 to $300 each so investing in a high quality charger is a wise move. A decent DC power supply (at least 12V/10A but 13.8V/20A is better for the long term) will cost you around $40-$60 so be sure to factor that into your decision.

Happy shopping
Old 05-18-2007, 09:59 AM
daniirwan
Freezes when panicking

guys..ok let's cut to the chase..please tell me which one of the following should i go with:

1) a charger with a discharge/cycle function but without a built-in lipobalancer
2) or a charger that comes with a built-in lipo balancer but no discharge/cycle function for NiXX packs???

Note that the choice will be important for me cuz this will be my very 1st charger and will probably be my only charger for quite some time. I currently have one (yes, one..pathetic aint it?) 8-cell 1100mah NiMh pack that I use with my WingDragon Sportster & in the future, I plan to fly a mixture of both LiPos & NiMh's.

as for number 1) above, i've got it narrowed down to:

a) Triton Jr
b) Multiplex LN5014
c) Tahmazo T15
d) Bantam E-Station 301DX or 501DX

for number 2):

a) iMax B5
b) Bantam E-Station BC5 or BC6

please guide me! any help would be appreciated.

regards,

-dani
Old 05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
kgfly

Dani,

The eStation BC6 is miles ahead of all the others on that list AND it:
* has an integrated ac/dc power supply (the others all require you to buy a DC bench supply)
* has an integrated 2s-62 lipo balancer (safe, simple, easy and convenient)
* has charge/discharge features for NiXX

It does everything you need and does it well according to many happy users:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656232
BC5 is the same charger without the integrated ac/dc power supply so you would have to buy a DC bench supply to go with it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Poweredge
www.PowerEdgeRC.com

Ken,

Slight correction....

The BC-5 does not have the BC-6 software, the BC-6 has almost all the features of the BC-8 software.

The BC-5 while a very good balancing charger, does not have the capabilities of the BC-6. They include 5 model memory, Li-ion and Li-fe capability, Li-xx Fast, Storage, and Cycle programs, Ni-xx cycle programs, and software/USB capability.

I agree, the BC-6 is miles ahead of anything else in its price range. It is a very unique charger and nothing else has all the capabilities in an AC powered unit.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:58 AM
daniirwan
Freezes when panicking

Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Dani,

The eStation BC6 is miles ahead of all the others on that list AND it:
* has an integrated ac/dc power supply (the others all require you to buy a DC bench supply)
kgfly, thx for your reply (hey that rhymes ). i dont understand what u mean by a DC bench supply..can u gimme a link or pictures of an example of it?

another thing, since the BC6 has an integrated AC/DC power supply..does that mean i dont have to plug the charger into a wall AC outlet to use it at home?

the BC6 is a little out of my budget (at almost USD152), but heck if it's really worth it, i'll just save up for it and then splurge the cash. me and the wifey might starve for a month, but what the heck...

regards,
-dani
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
kgfly

Thanks for the clarification Evan.

Dani - Most chargers require a DC input. Your wall outlet is AC. A DC bench supply looks like this one: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/powersupply.htm

The BC6 has a built-in ac/dc power supply. This means it can be plugged into the wall outlet directly or connected to a bench supply or 12V battery. By having the ac power supply built in it saves you cost of a DC bench supply, is much more convenient since you can plug it in wherever you go without worrying about carrying an extra device (the bench supply) while still having the flexibility to run of a 12V DC supply if that is all that is available (say a car battery at the flying field).

So, at home or at a flying site with AC power (wall outlets) you plug your unit into the wall outlet.

I really suggest you get the BC6, it is by far the best value of the options you have considered. It has the most features, greatest flexibility, proven performance and greatest convenience of them all. Besides, once you have the charger you won't have time to eat, you will be too busy flying :lol:
Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 PM
littlephoenix

I have purchased the imax B5 from ebay and will be using it as soon as my 12v charger comes in, but for the research i have done, no one has said anything negative about this charger, it does the job and it does it well with a build in balancer you cant go wrong.