GWS props - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

GWS props

Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 AM
meesier42

Default GWS props

I have been playing wiht a couple of different props for my Wing Dragon and have come over something new. I have the WingDragon4 with the TowerPro 2408 brushless motor with I like, but I am having issues with getting the right prop to get it to fly nicely.

I have run the GWS 7035 which I liked but was coming apart to the point that when I ran out of my pack of 5, 3 of the weren't even broken, just the leading edges were trashed, and I never crashed.

So I was able to find a APC 7x5 thin elec, which isn't all that bad, but I felt like the plane became very squirrelly under power. I have a couple of GWS 7060 but haven't had a chance to fly them as my wing is broken and the new one hasn't come in yet. But then I found these Orange Nylon GWS props and wondering if the are any different?? Perhaps a little more durable, or is it the same material just dyed orange instead of black?

I have heard a lot of people like this prop on the WD and am waiting to try it, but I am afraid that they are going to come apart just as the 7035 did.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Most if not all APC props require balancing. That might have been your problem along with a heavier prop.

The colors don't matter on the GWS props but there are different types. SF = Slow Flyers, DD or HD = Direct Drive or Hyperdrive. These can also include their e-series props like the 7 x 3.5. Yes, it is confusing. Each have there own uses.

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc.../propeller.htm

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPath=36_38

Frank
Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

The DD/HD are the straight looking ones designed for more RPM's.
The elongated figure 8" (fatter) are slow fly (SF) and designed for low KV or geared motors. You are running a 2408 on the edge with a SF prop. Even though it is a slow flying plane it is being operated with a high KV motor and a smaller prop at high RPM.

You might try propping down-maybe a 6x4 even, and stick with the APC thin e or GWS HD. The SF are plain sloppy at high RPM.

As Frank said, make sure any prop is balanced.

fly
Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Not much to add, other than once I tried APC props I decided I'd never use GWS again.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 PM
meesier42

well I have a couple other sizes of APC props coming in with my new wing (broke the first one when hit a tree at speed), I will be sure to balance them before flying.

I haven't yet flown the GWS 7060, but many WD flyers recommend this prop/motor combo so it can't be that bad. And it fits on the shaft so easily, I almost want to use it.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I use a number of the GWS HD props and have had really good results with them. I have APC on larger motors and GWS on all the smaller ones.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Stick with the GWS on the 2408 motor. They go right on the shaft without the need of an adapter like the APC props. Makes life a whole lot easier.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

I have found that a GWS DD 1060 cut down 1.5" on each tip to make a 7X6 and then balanced works best for me on the TP2408-21.

Hillbille
Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 AM
meesier42

Originally Posted by offtom View Post
Stick with the GWS on the 2408 motor. They go right on the shaft without the need of an adapter like the APC props. Makes life a whole lot easier.
this is the reason that I decided to give the GWS7060's a try. My biggest issue with the 7035 was after landing from 1 flight, with no crashes or anyting else that I would expect to damage the prop, I found the entire leading edge chewed up.

Also, I was just checking the balance on the APC 7x5 thin elec, and it was well out. I checked the second one that I have and it seems to be pretty good, except that it is a right hand screw(matches the turn of the GWS) vice a left hand screw of the other, just something I hadn't previously noticed.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 AM
g10

You should try a gws 3 blade prop. the 6x3x3 would out perform all your other props. the only problem is you might have issues braking a blade as the 3 blade can not go horizontal when you land so if you do not have gear it my not be your best option, but I bet it will smoke any of the other props you are using.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi, I would like to know, What is tearing up the prop the prop sits up high, unless the plane is being landed up side down on a 2408-21 a gws 7x6 sf or a GWS 8x4 sf works great , make sure you balance the props, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

I have almost the same setup as what you do. I purchased a B24-45-08 inrunner, hooked a 11.1v 1600 LiPo to it.. but litterally melted the innards of the stock prop because the axel of the brushless got to hot.

I went to my LHS looking for a prop of at least the right length so I didnt weedwhack the fuselage. found one... to heavy.. so I looked at the spare parts for other models and found one. a little 7" prop with a little metal nut. and I have not gone back.. I dont have the exact specs on the thing or the name of the model it goes to, but I will get back to you on that this evening because I have to go there today anyway.

720g of thrust is my end result.. which makes the WD go vertical!!! crazy stuff!!