How about a Big Ugly Foamy Yak?...BUFYv1.0 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

How about a Big Ugly Foamy Yak?...BUFYv1.0

Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Default How about a Big Ugly Foamy Yak?...BUFYv1.0

Im haveing big plane withdrawl symptoms. My 30% KMP Yak is down for repairs and my 6Bits v2 giant scale foamy is still a looooong ways from completion.

I started on a large mid motor foamy jet, but that project is not running my motor for some reason and I cant seem to keep up any excitement in getting it done. My mind keeps wandering off to other projects and ideas.....

So..... Im gonna build something quick and dirty and ugly but BIG!

I have been going back and forth the last few hours trying to decide if I want a bipe or a Yakish single wing thing.

Bipes are really cool and I love bipes, but big bipes are a pain. They need to come appart to transport them and set up/take down at the field takes extra time. Building one also takes a lot more time - getting two sets of wings aligned and figuring out a good wing attachment system takes time, extra linkages and servos....

I think Im going to lean harder on the 'quick' aspect and just go for a single wing. Probably a Yak profile because they have a lot of side area and a large rudder already. I can exagerate those aspects some without it looking too out of scale. Those are two things I like about the Yaks in general that make for some good flying charactistics especially in knife edge.

Im thinking 72" span and 72" long. I'll try for under 3 pounds all up but thats probably wishfull thinking

Wings will be removable and out of 1/2" blue foam, fuse a mix of 1/2" and 1" probably.....

Im off to cut some foam.....

Larry

Last edited by Larry3215; 02-03-2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: thought of a name :)
Old 01-20-2008, 05:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Im haveing big plane withdrawl symptoms. My 30% KMP Yak is down for repairs and my 6Bits v2 giant scale foamy is still a looooong ways from completion.

I started on a large mid motor foamy jet, but that project is not running my motor for some reason and I cant seem to keep up any excitement in getting it done. My mind keeps wandering off to other projects and ideas.....

So..... Im gonna build something quick and dirty and ugly but BIG!

I have been going back and forth the last few hours trying to decide if I want a bipe or a Yakish single wing thing.

Bipes are really cool and I love bipes, but big bipes are a pain. They need to come appart to transport them and set up/take down at the field takes extra time. Building one also takes a lot more time - getting two sets of wings aligned and figuring out a good wing attachment system takes time, extra linkages and servos....

I think Im going to lean harder on the 'quick' aspect and just go for a single wing. Probably a Yak profile because they have a lot of side area and a large rudder already. I can exagerate those aspects some without it looking too out of scale. Those are two things I like about the Yaks in general that make for some good flying charactistics especially in knife edge.

Im thinking 72" span and 72" long. I'll try for under 3 pounds all up but thats probably wishfull thinking

Wings will be removable and out of 1/2" blue foam, fuse a mix of 1/2" and 1" probably.....

Im off to cut some foam.....

Larry

Hi Larry I think we all have done that too to get modivated on your project to finish it, drink about 3 beers, or 2 mixed drinks, and chase those down with some Root Beer Snobs It works great for me take care, Chellie
Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Larry3215

LOL
I think you're my kind of builder Chellie

Larry
Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Larry3215

Well, so far the "quick" part is working out pretty well

I have the major fuse and wing parts layed out and cut from the foam.

The 1/2" blue foam comes with a plastic skin on both sides that you need to peal off. I considered leaving it on for strength, but its very strechy so I doubt it would add enough to be worth the hastle. Becides I dont think glue would stick to the plastic very well and if it did it would just pull loose under tension.

Im going to use two wing tube/spars in the wings.

While shopping at SportCo, I found some carbon arrow shafts that fit snugly inside some aluminum arrow shafts. They should make nifty wing tube/spar units.

I'll also use them as hinge pivots on the rear of the wings for the ailerons and for the rudder and elevators. I saw the technique on another build thread a while back but cant remember where.... I'll post pics when I get to that point.

Ive also attached the 3 view Im using for scale reference - sort of

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yak54_3view.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	52741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4214 (Medium).JPG
Views:	791
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	52742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4216 (Medium).JPG
Views:	792
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	52743  
Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I Like IT
Old 01-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Larry3215

I considered making this a full fuse, but that would kill the 'quick' part and take away from the 'ugly' part so I nixed that idea

Its going to be classic shock flyer construction. I may do some added drag enhancers as well. I like slooooooow flyers but I think I'll wait on that and see how it flys first without them.

Larry
Old 01-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Go for it Larry!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Larry3215

Between family stuff, car stuff and chores I didnt get much done the last two days.

I got the chanels cut for the wing tube/spars and the ailerons cut off but not shaped.

I also got the 'shock flyer' side braces cut and dry fit.

Pics attached.

I hope to get the wing tube/spars glued in tomorrow and maybe the ailerons shaped and hinged.

If I bought a new truck, got divorced, sold all my kids into slavery and had my pets ground up into dog food, it might be possible

Larry

P.S. Oh yeah - and win the lottery

Name:	IMG_4217 (Medium).JPG
Views:	430
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	53020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4218 (Medium).JPG
Views:	528
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	53021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4219 (Medium).JPG
Views:	478
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	53022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4220 (Medium).JPG
Views:	425
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	53023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4221 (Medium).JPG
Views:	512
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	53024  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4222 (Medium).JPG
Views:	564
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	53025  
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Between family stuff, car stuff and chores I didnt get much done the last two days.

I got the chanels cut for the wing tube/spars and the ailerons cut off but not shaped.

I also got the 'shock flyer' side braces cut and dry fit.

Pics attached.

I hope to get the wing tube/spars glued in tomorrow and maybe the ailerons shaped and hinged.

If I bought a new truck, got divorced, sold all my kids into slavery and had my pets ground up into dog food, it might be possible

Larry

P.S. Oh yeah - and win the lottery

Truck -YES buy Truck
Divorce- No Its Cheaper to keep her
Sold Kids - Hmmmm Maybe just get them married off soon
Pets- ground Chunky or Plain
Lotto- yes win the lotto :p
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Not to 1 up ya, but check out this build that Wingtips 24 did. What a monster!!! Your build looks very nice Larry. Keep us posted!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Jumbo+Lumbo

CTD
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Truck -YES buy Truck
Divorce- No Its Cheaper to keep her
Sold Kids - Hmmmm Maybe just get them married off soon
Pets- ground Chunky or Plain
Lotto- yes win the lotto :p
OK, I'll keep her (hear that honey? Can I come in out of the cold now? Please? Pretty please?) but the kids and pets gotta go!

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
Not to 1 up ya, but check out this build that Wingtips 24 did. What a monster!!! Your build looks very nice Larry. Keep us posted!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Jumbo+Lumbo

CTD
OK, his is 3" bigger in span, BUT mine is gonna be uglier!

Check out my avatar tho - v1 was 85" span. Im working on v2 which is 87" span but not quite as ugly

Larry

Name:	IMG_1876 (Large).JPG
Views:	581
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	53150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873 (Large).JPG
Views:	750
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	53151  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:44 AM
Larry3215

I just scanned thru wingtips thread - I have to say thats a very nice build he did! Especially considering he was using fan fold! It turned out great!

Larry
Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Larry3215

Well, I didnt sell the kids off soon enough and on top of that I forgot about the grand kids! Plus Im spending toooo much time chatting on here instead of building

So... all I got done was gluing in the wing tubes on one wing half. No hinging at all.

By the way - Ive learned to oil up the inner tubes now when using Gorilla type glues. Ive decided I'll never get good at judging how much is too much of that stuff!

Larry

Name:	IMG_4223 (Medium).JPG
Views:	389
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	53155  
Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Larry3215

Some of you may have noticed my work bench disaster area When I first built it I was very careful to set it dead level and true with no sags or twists in the surface. Well, that was a good long while ago.....

So, now when I need to build something that has to be straight, I generally build it on top of a pair of long carpenters levels.

Thats what I did with the wing when I set the spar tubes. Well,,, it seems that I wasnt quite as carefull as I thought I was. There are some slight mis-alignment between the wing halves On the plus side, the two sides are within .2 degrees of the same angle of attack. Thats not bad for a foamy.

I will offset the center foam piece that the wing spar/tubes fit thru to correct for the other error. A little sanding and adding some creative ugly to it and no one will ever know but me

I started on the fuse side pieces tonight. Im debating on hinge techniques now. I may change my mind again....

Larry

Name:	IMG_4224 (Medium).JPG
Views:	337
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	53323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4225 (Medium).JPG
Views:	363
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	53324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4228 (Medium).JPG
Views:	341
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	53325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4229 (Medium).JPG
Views:	347
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	53326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4230 (Medium).JPG
Views:	365
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	53327  

Name:	IMG_4232 (Medium).JPG
Views:	370
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	53328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4233 (Medium).JPG
Views:	368
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	53329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4234 (Medium).JPG
Views:	358
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	53330  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Don E
Yup !

Some of you may have noticed my work bench disaster area When I first built it I was very careful to set it dead level and true with no sags or twists in the surface. Well, that was a good long while ago.....

So, now when I need to build something that has to be straight, I generally build it on top of a pair of long carpenters levels.

Thats what I did with the wing when I set the spar tubes. Well,,, it seems that I wasnt quite as carefull as I thought I was. There are some slight mis-alignment between the wing halves On the plus side, the two sides are within .2 degrees of the same angle of attack. Thats not bad for a foamy.

I will offset the center foam piece that the wing spar/tubes fit thru to correct for the other error. A little sanding and adding some creative ugly to it and no one will ever know but me

I started on the fuse side pieces tonight. Im debating on hinge techniques now. I may change my mind again....

Larry
U da man!

I like projects like this. I've talked about doing one like this, but that is about as far as it got. Good job so far!

FWIW I've had good luck with using floppy disk material like CA hinges in fanfold.

Just an idea.

Don

I don't even have anything that will measure .2 degrees
Old 01-25-2008, 05:21 AM
Larry3215

Thanks Don

That Angle Pro digital level gizmo is really handy. I use it to check wing and tail incidence, washout and motor thrust angles on many of my planes.

When everything is lined up the way is supposed to be, the planes fly better. The down side is that then you cant blame the plane for the sloppy knife edge passes

Larry
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

OK, I'll keep her (hear that honey? Can I come in out of the cold now? Please? Pretty please?) but the kids and pets gotta go!

OK, his is 3" bigger in span, BUT mine is gonna be uglier!

Check out my avatar tho - v1 was 85" span. Im working on v2 which is 87" span but not quite as ugly

Larry
Wow, that is a big plane!!!!!! How are you powering it? BTW, look at this fuse Tips just started. It isn't so big as it is cool, also look at the Twin Jet he converted to a F-14. That Wingtips is always thinking!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=7#post9007978

CTD
Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Larry3215

Wow, that is a big plane!!!!!! How are you powering it? BTW, look at this fuse Tips just started. It isn't so big as it is cool, also look at the Twin Jet he converted to a F-14. That Wingtips is always thinking!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=7#post9007978

CTD
It uses a Mega 22/20/4 in the smaller Inner (mini?) Deamon gear box on 6S2P TP 2100 packs spinning a 20x8 APC prop and a Phoenix 80 controller.

The plane weighed a tad over 6 pounds. I started out proped for about 650 watts. It flew fine but was too sloooooow in pullouts from hover with not enough power reeserve. I proped up to the 20x8 at about 850-900 watts IIRC and it was much better. It still pulls out slow but its a solid slow. Like a Mac truck in low gear - it may be slow but it aint stoppin

The plane was intended to be a big LITE slow flyer anyway. I never intended it to have wild vertical. It was my absolute favorite plane to fly. It did the most perfect slooooooow knife edge passes and sloooooow snaps and spins. It was awesome.

Here is a video of a buddy in my club flying it last winter - Kyle Woyshnis. He is a world class pilot and a fair bit better pilot than I am I can dream tho

Larry

P.S. This was the first time Kyle had seen the plane and he had never used my radio or anything. The kid is amazing!

Last edited by Larry3215; 02-17-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Larry3215

The main fuse structure is done and I got one wing hinged up.

I decided to go ahead and try the new hinge method using the carbon tube and ply pivot/hinges. So far it looks like it will work ok.

Wing #1 didnt turn out perfect but it will work fine I think. I needed to add a litle more ugly to that side of the plane anyway

The plus side is you dont have to bevel the wing surfaces. You DO have to be carefull with the glue!

Im off to do wing #2.

Larry

Name:	IMG_4235 (Medium).JPG
Views:	270
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	53450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4236 (Medium).JPG
Views:	294
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	53451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4237 (Medium).JPG
Views:	295
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	53452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4238 (Medium).JPG
Views:	301
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	53453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4239 (Medium).JPG
Views:	302
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	53454  

Name:	IMG_4240 (Medium).JPG
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	53455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241 (Medium).JPG
Views:	293
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	53456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4242 (Medium).JPG
Views:	338
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	53457  
Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Wow!! That thing is very nice!!! He really did a great job flying her too! Did you design the plane yourself? Wingtips will want to see this!! LOL!!

CTD
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Larry3215

Wow!! That thing is very nice!!! He really did a great job flying her too! Did you design the plane yourself? Wingtips will want to see this!! LOL!!

CTD
Wingtips does some nice stuff! Im gonna have to watch for his stuff more often!

Yeah, that was last fall/winters build project. The hollow airfoil wings are made from full sheets of heat bent/folded 6MM Depron. The fuse was formed the same way. The tail feathers are also hollow built up Depron.

As soon as this Yak is done I getting back to finish v2. I have the wings almost finished on it - just need ailerons hinged - and the main fuse bending work is all done. I still need to start the tail feathers and about 6 million other details.... Its a chalenge trying to build that big with foam and keep it lite!

Larry
Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 PM
WingTips24
Mr. ExperiMENTAL

Larry,

I see the makings for another great friendship here on WattFlyer. Man great job on these builds. Crash Test Dummy called me up and was telling me that I gotta see this guy Larrys planes and now I see why! You have some really creative ideas going on there! Looks like I have another cool thread to follow along on lol. Thanks again "Crash" you know my style man!

Tips
Old 01-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by WingTips24 View Post
Larry,

I see the makings for another great friendship here on WattFlyer. Man great job on these builds. Crash Test Dummy called me up and was telling me that I gotta see this guy Larrys planes and now I see why! You have some really creative ideas going on there! Looks like I have another cool thread to follow along on lol. Thanks again "Crash" you know my style man!

Tips
Thats a heck of a comliment! Im looking forward to it! Thanks!

I did a test assembly of the wings to the fuse. Its looks huge in my small shop area!

I managed to get them on pretty evenly. The measurments from tailpost to wing tips are almost equal.

Have to decide on a wing hold-on technique of some sort.... they slide off the tubes very easily!

Larry

Name:	IMG_4243 (Medium).JPG
Views:	335
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	53598  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 AM
Larry3215

Some more progress between chores today.

Im starting to get the ugly dialed in I think

Larry

Name:	IMG_4244 (Medium).JPG
Views:	265
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	53820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4245 (Medium).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	53821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4246 (Medium).JPG
Views:	280
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	53822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4247 (Medium).JPG
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	53823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4248 (Medium).JPG
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	53824  

Name:	IMG_4249 (Medium).JPG
Views:	301
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	53825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4251 (Medium).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	53827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4252 (Medium).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	53828  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Its looking great Larry You really need to get a bigger work bench Keep up the good work, Chellie

Quick Reply: How about a Big Ugly Foamy Yak?...BUFYv1.0

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17227 seconds with 46 queries