Micro "Corben Super Ace" Build Thread - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Micro "Corben Super Ace" Build Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Micro "Corben Super Ace" Build Thread

Well, I'm going to try posting a build thread here on my latest projest; A Golden Age Reproductions "Corben Super Ace".
This is a 23" wingspan stick + tissue Free Flight model, made for rubber power. I plan to convert it to 3-channel R/C with an ELE C10 2900Kv micro outrunner, Feigo 6a ESC and Berg Microstamp RX. I also have a couple of 4.3 gram servo currently not in use, but may try smaller ones. All the electronics listed are from BPHobbies.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	63889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	63890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	63892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	64647   Click image for larger version

Name:	ace 002.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	64648  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ace 004.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	64649  

Last edited by Sky Sharkster; 05-03-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I will be interested in following your build.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Cutting Parts

Hi Jim, Thanks for the interest!
This will be the smallest R/C model I've tried, should be fun!
The parts aren't laser-cut, just printed on balsa. While that keeps the price low, it means a couple nights work. Here's a shot of most of the parts cut out. The round sanding block is a 1" wood dowel with 180 grit paper at one end and 400 grit (black) at the other. Great for inside radius sanding and odd shapes.
The second photo shows my favorite method for finishing ribs, the "Stack". After cutting out the spar notches with a single-edge blade, I use the thin file to enlarge the slot until the scrap of spar stock fits. Then they are stacked together with the two spars holding everything in place and sanded. The front and rear are squared off by placing the stack in the miter box (the long way) and using the end of the box to hold the sanding block at true vertical.

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	63920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	63921  
Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Looks like a great project Ron.
It's way too small for me, I'm too ham fisted.

Paul
Old 04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Itty Bitty Pieces!

Hi Paul,
Yes, they're too small for me, too! I'm using a magnifying glass, tweezers and lots of squinting.
Photos;
1) The kit shows gussets in several places but they're not on the printed sheet. A piece of 1/16" scrap, cut to 5/16" tall, is being run through the miter box, this has 45, 30 and 90 degree slots. Here I'm using the 45 to make gussets.
2) Beginning with the wing. L.E., T.E. and bottom spar pinned down (not through!) to the plan, the straight-edges are to insure the lines are straight. Sometimes the plans warp or deform.
The handy "rib guide" has 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8" slots to help keep the ribs at 90 degrees upright. A drafting triangle works also, but is too large for this model. I'm not installing the center (short) spars until the wing is ready for dihedral. Got a few of the gussets in place.
Ron

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	63929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	63930  
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
pd1
Still Learning

I like your plastic rib guide. Nice idea.
I use small metal blocks that I steal from my friends machine shop.
I like your's better.
Are the spars 1/8 squares?

Paul
Old 04-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Build So Far

Hi Paul,
That rib guide is called the "Rib Upright" and I see FAI Model Supply no longer carries it. Had mine for years.
The spars, fuse stringers and tail are all constructed from 1/16" square. The L.E. is 1/8" square and the trailing edge is 1/16" x 1/8". Tiny stuff!
Ron
Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Both Wing Panels

Well, a bit more progress, built the other (right) wing panel and began sanding the L.E., T.E. and smoothing out the airfoil. Here's some photos, I tried to remember to take the work off the saran wrap as it reflects the flash, forgot on the first shot. One wing has the L.E. shaped.
Ron

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	63979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	63980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	63981  
Old 04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Sweet job Ron! Can't wait to see the finished product friend.

Mike
Old 04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default "ACE" Build

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the kind words! This build is a challenge but hopefully it will be worth it. The "Micros" fascinate me, all that itty-bitty hardware and material. Back when I was flying glow (whan Dinosaurs roamed the Earth) we never even dreamed a model this small could be R/C, much less 3 channel fully proportional. Electrics are cool!
Here's an earlier post regarding Golden Age Reproductions, they have some great kits and unusual designs;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11020
Regards,
Ron
Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I think I may get myself a small kit like that. I would love to get into the modeling side of this hobby. I've always been afraid of messing things up. Oh well, I guess you gotta get your feet wet sometime. Good luck on your build friend!

Mike
Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
magic612
Bernoulli + Newton = Lift

Ron - looks great so far! I'm fascinated with the little tiny planes too - though I confess I've been building larger ones as of late, because the small ones get TINY when airborne!

I've got some similar electronics as you - one of these days I'll likely do the free-flight rubber powered to r/c conversion too. So far all my micro stuff has been out of foam.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Micro Builds?

Hi Mike and Dave,
Thanks for the interest, it's great to try something new!
I don't know if an R/C electric-conversion from a rubber-powered Free Flight is the ideal entry into Micros, but if you've built some of the Guillows, Dumas or Comet kits, it should be OK.
I've also converted several small-scale "Old Timers" to electric R/C and it worked out pretty well. These are 5/8ths scale replicas, about 32" to 35" wingspan.
But the Ace is even smaller!
Dave, my link to your site isn't working, are you having any problems? Could be my server, but I get the "error" message each time.
Ron
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Good stuff Ron. I've always wanted to see a build of yours. I'm sure I'll learn a lot here. I like the rib guide too. It would be easy to machine one out of a piece of 1/16" aluminum sheet. Would it be possible for you to show a picture of the side of the rib guide? Keep up the good work
Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Good News!

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the encouragement, here's the photo, but you may not need it! I cleanded it up and found, clearly stamped, House of Balsa on one side. So, I check HOB site and they STILL make it, $1.49 each. I believe I got mine through FAI Model Supply, they sell razor planes, strippers and other builders supplies, but not this, at least not now.
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...bMRWYgpj0346L7
Here's the photo, the guide is 2" square.
Ron

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	63993  
Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Perfect!

Thanks Ron.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
magic612

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
...if you've built some of the Guillows, Dumas or Comet kits, it should be OK.
I started on about 10 or 12 years ago, and never finished it. But based on the things I've done recently, I'm sure I wouldn't have much trouble.

Dave, my link to your site isn't working, are you having any problems? Could be my server, but I get the "error" message each time.
Ron
Ron, I've had a couple other people indicate a problem with that too. I checked with my server company this weekend, and we ran a tracert on it (something you do with a DOS window command). Didn't seem to be any issues on their side - it seems some ISP's are having issues with it for whatever reason.

Even I sometimes have issues with it - BUT - it depends on where I am. At home, never a problem. At work, sometimes it has problems, but I have my wife check at the same time from her job at the same time I have trouble, and it pulls up fine.

So... honestly, I don't know! Wish I did. I guess I can provide a different link here - let me know if this works instead:

http://www.rcscratchbuilders.com/plans/plans.html
Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Not Yet

Hi Dave,
Same message with the "Plans" link, error.
I also tried a AOL search for "rcscratchbuilder" and also added ".com" to the name, funny thing, it gave every use of "RC" "Scratch" and "builder", 4 pages of combinations, but no direct link to your site, except a Wattflyer post of yours, mentioning the site.
Maybe my search engine can't find it?
Ron
Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
magic612

Hi Dave,
Same message with the "Plans" link, error.
I also tried a AOL search for "rcscratchbuilder" and also added ".com" to the name, funny thing, it gave every use of "RC" "Scratch" and "builder", 4 pages of combinations, but no direct link to your site, except a Wattflyer post of yours, mentioning the site.
Maybe my search engine can't find it?
Ron
I can have you run a tracert on it, so I can send that to my server folks. Let me know if you want to try it - only takes a minute or two. Just PM me. Might help figure out what's happening on your end.

I haven't seen an AOL search engine crawl come across the stats yet - I know Google, Yahoo and Ask.com have so far. It's only a month old, so sometimes it takes a little while for search engines to find it, depending on what they're set to crawl for. If they avoid forums, they're not likely to find many links to it yet!

Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread about the site issues. Carry on!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Wing Finished!

Well, moving right along, the wing is done, pretty easy, actually.
Photo 1- Since I expect to nearly double the planned weight by adding electric power and R/C, a little strengthening seemed like a good idea. I put partial (5/8" wide, 1/32" contest balsa) vertical webs full-span and full-length webs between the center ribs. Webs keep the spars from bowing or compressing between bays and strengthen the wing (spanwise) greatly for very little weight.
Photo 2- Ready for the fuselage! I seem to have misplaced a couple of little (who am I kidding, they're microscopic!) gussets for the upper rudder. Sigh.
Ron

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	64014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	64015  
Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
pd1
Still Learning

It looks nice Ron.
What are you going to cover it with?

Paul
Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Hey Ron, that looks like it's going to be a great plane! I guess you have to have a few thousand builds under your belt before you even think about something that small and light!! I did notice (and appreciate) how you cut all your fuse sticks (what do you call them?) at the same time. You must be smart.

Hey, for what it's worth, I have that same rib tool. I put it in there with the miter box and the razor plane for tools that don't cost a lot but have a lot of utility.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Covering, Tools

Hi Paul and Andy,
I plan to use SoLite for covering, just happen to have 1/2 roll of yellow and nearly a full roll of black. Those are the original colors listed on the plan.
I'm also going to use the covering as the hinges, done this a few times with mini "Old Timers" and it works great.
Andy, I'd like to take credit for the length of the strip stock but that's the way they came! Just about as long as the box.
On a fuselage, generally the thicker strips at the corners/outside edges are called "Longerons" and the thinner strips that give the fuselage shape but don't really support loads are "Stringers". So, for example on a rounded fuse, you might have 4 longerons (at 90 degrees to each other) and 10-12 stringers. Also, stringers usually fit into slots and longerons form corners or edges.
Another fuselage component uses a word borrowed from nautical terminology, that is a "Keel". Usually a long narrow piece forming the upper or lower profile, a "spine". Guillows kits usually have an upper and lower keel for the fuselage. The 1/2 bulkheads (or "Formers") are glued to the keel.
You're right, I can't build without my miter box, rib guide and razor plane. An assortment of sanding blocks of all shapes is a big help.
Andy, don't be modest, after your scratch Warbird, you're ready for anything!
Ron
Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Andy, don't be modest, after your scratch Warbird, you're ready for anything!
Ron
Haha ...you notice I haven't posted for a while!?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Starting The Fuselage

Well, a couple of hours building (twice)after work yielded the fuselage sides.
First, I dropped a couple of the 1/16" square bottom pieces into a glass of hot water, soaking (what would be) the front. While they were soaking, a "fence" or row of pins were pushed into the board, following the inside radius of the lower nose curve. 15 minutes of water and the pieces (stacked) followed the shape easily, neither piece cracked. A few more pins to hold the outside-notice I left the front end long so there would be something to hold onto-and left the two pieces to dry overnight. No glue yet.
2nd night, removed one piece and began making one side with the 2nd piece still in place. I removed some of the pins, especially ones that were near uprights, so the glue wouldn't add a pin to the structure! Pinned upper (straight) piece in place, added uprights. Since I wanted to finish and only had another hour, I used CA. Removed the finished side, made the second one. Here it's drying.
Ron

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	64203  

Quick Reply: Micro "Corben Super Ace" Build Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11418 seconds with 27 queries