Mrs. Hobby Lobby: Hot Wire Foam Cutter Steal - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Basement Bargains Know of a good sale at your favorite online RC webstore? Or how about just one heck of a bargain that you came across on RC goods. This is the place. ** No commercial adverts please**

Mrs. Hobby Lobby: Hot Wire Foam Cutter Steal

Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Default Mrs. Hobby Lobby: Hot Wire Foam Cutter Steal

Today being my birthday, I figured at least one thing HAD to come down in my favor... and here it is.

Last week I was at my Local Mrs. Hobby Lobby and saw the Marvy Uchida Hot Wire Foam Cutter on the back wall, listed for 40 bucks. "Wow", I thought to myself... "that's cool, but I am here for other stuff and I'll come back later and hope it's still here."

Well today I walked into the same Hobby Lobby (in San Antonio) and it wasn't there, replaced by a new selection of flower foam shapes.

I asked the nice lady who was stocking the shelves "Hey, do y'all still sell that light blue tabletop foam cutter?" To which she replied "That one?"

I saw it sitting in her little push cart. "Yeah, THAT one!" I replied, happy to not have missed it.

"Its a deleted item." She said, "We are no longer carrying it at Hobby Lobby."

My mind started to wonder about pricing. "It's 66% off now, by the way." She said.

So I happily walked out of HL with a new foam cutter which is AC or battery powered, and comes with 5 extra nichrome wires, for $13.50.
(I also scored two cans of Gulf Grey Krylon H20 for 1.79 a piece!)

Happy birthday to me! I encourage anyone who wants a good foam cutter to check out their local branch!

Yours in bubbitude,
GRU

P.S. - I tried it as soon as I got home, it works GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	img138.jpg
Views:	1819
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	78220  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

WOW. I need to go there tomorrow. They have a 40% coupon this week. While I am sure it does not count on discountinued items, it is worth a shot
Old 09-16-2008, 04:37 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
WOW. I need to go there tomorrow. They have a 40% coupon this week. While I am sure it does not count on discountinued items, it is worth a shot
Bryan,

If they have 2 grab one for me, will ya?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Darn It!!! 2 weeks ago I was looking at that same cutter at the HL in Victoria, TX. Wish I'd of known then they were going to discontinue them. That's a 130 mi. round trip though so I'll have to do without it I guess.
Good score though and a belated Happy B'Day.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Moxus
Gremlin

diy foam cutter.
thats great, theres only one problem. its quite small, for people who wants to gut larger blocks of foam, for example ti wings.
so a great way of cutting a larger foam blocks is to string up a resistance wire into a saw, instead of the sawblade. alternatively a hacksaw, for those who want the diy small foam cutter. i use self-vulcanizing tape as insulation at each end, and couple power to the string with cable shoes. approximately 20 ohms works fine for 20 volts, with 1 meter of hot wire, as a rule of thumb. adjustments might have to be made after individual preferences or type of foam.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Here she is! I'm thinking about ordering one myself:
http://www.createforless.com/Uchida+...utm_medium=cse
Old 09-17-2008, 05:40 AM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

I got one of those about 8 months ago and have used it a TON of times, for all kinds of stuff, including making a few parts and a couple of RC planes. It really IS a very handy tool to have around.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

i agree. this foam cutter is great for combat foamies and 3d flatties. plans are free, and motor/prop/esc combos are $15 at hobbycity. add a 3 cell li-po for less than $20 and you have a pusher jet or 3d flattie for less than $50!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
tnrcplanes

I went by my local HL today and they had one at full price. I asked if they were closing them out. Manager checked and said it was still a current product. Either it is only being dropped in some areas or the word hasn't reached my store yet?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Same thing down here in GA
Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
BEC
Bernard Cawley

Another way to get a good deal on this cutter (though not as good as that the OP got) is to sign up for the Crafts Etc! e-mail list and get one when they have it on sale for 25% off and free shipping. They carry it at $40 normally.

It is a very handy little tool.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Same thing down here in GA
Dang, my bad. I guess it was a San Antonio-only thing. Sorry to get your hopes up - but I still think its worth the 40 bones.

GRU
Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 AM
tnrcplanes

They are very handy. I already have one. I was looking to acquire a backup. HL has discount coupons sometimes but right now it is for 30% off Krylon paint.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

I have one as well, great little tool but I really wish it had a guide on the hot wire. Something to keep it from flexing to much off center. I often find my self on long cuts with it chasing the wire through the foam and just makes for a terrible finished edge. Been trying to think of a guide (like on a bandsaw) that would work and not heat up as well. if something comes to mind I'll post up a pic of what it is..