Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (19)
Default 120 volt to 12 volt power source

ok..... i need 12 volt power in house. . . what is the best,cheapest,most wonderful, home 12 volt power unit on the market?? i am a edf newbie and i need to power my chargers!! mostly 3 or 4 lipos.... 2200mah now but i'm looking at getting bigger and faster... so gimme some options!!!!! lol!! thanks for the help in advance!!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
ok..... i need 12 volt power in house. . . what is the best,cheapest,most wonderful, home 12 volt power unit on the market?? i am a edf newbie and i need to power my chargers!! mostly 3 or 4 lipos.... 2200mah now but i'm looking at getting bigger and faster... so gimme some options!!!!! lol!! thanks for the help in advance!!
How much bigger, and how much faster? If you are talking about 5-8S packs I dunno if the following will work for you and I am too lazy to do the math on the amp draw But....

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can pick up a 300+ watt computer power supply and use the 12v rail to power your charger. Its relatively simple - all you need is the power supply, some female banana plugs a power switch and a 10-ohm sandbar resistor or an automotive lightbulb (the soft power system needs a load to function properly) - the former you can get at a flea market or pull from an old PC you might have; the latter three or four things being readily available from Radio Slack and Walmart.

Lots o' linkage out there on this topic but this one is pretty good. Chances are you'll be dealing with an ATX power supply.

Cheers,
GRU

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img036.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	79298   Click image for larger version

Name:	img037.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	79299   Click image for larger version

Name:	img044.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	79300   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	79301  

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
jdetray

Friends: (0)

You need a so-called 12V power supply. In fact, the actual voltage of such a supply will be 13.8V, which is the nominal voltage of a fully-charged automobile battery.

One popular line of power supplies comes from the Astron company. Astron supplies are very rugged and are available with and without built-in meters. Here's a company that carries the Astron line:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ps/astron.html

This is not the only place or necessarily the best place that sells Astrom supplies, but merely the first one I found that shows the prices. Get the biggest (highest current) power supply you can afford. Go for at least 15A. You'll never regret owning a good quality, high-current power supply.

You may find lower prices in other lines of power supplies. For example, the Pyramid line is fairly popular, though not of the bulletproof reliability of an Astron. Here's a site with Pyramid supplies and pricing.
http://radioproshop.com/pyramid-ps/powersupply.htm

Again, I have no experience with this particular seller. It's merely the first one I found carrying the Pyramid line.

There are lots of other brands, such as Samlex, and there are many other sellers. You'll find lots of power supplies on E-bay, for example.

This will at least help you understand the sort of thing you are looking for.

The PC power supply option is good, if as GRU says, you are handy with a soldering iron and have some knowledge of electronics. I've converted a couple of PC power supplies. Just remember that there are lethal voltages inside a power supply, so you must follow good safety procedures.

- Jeff

AMA 787105
My other hobby: AstronomyBoy.com
Old 09-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)
Default Power Supply

I have converted two and they are working just fine. I am not that good at soldering or electronics but I just followed the instructions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0503.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	79334  
Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

thanks to all for the input. now i have some options to mull over!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,263 Times in 2,162 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (328)

thanks to all for the input. now i have some options to mull over!
here is some info for you

http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8194990

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)
Default Power Supply

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...OWERSUPPLY.HTM

This is the one I used. I did not need that fancy set of different outputs so I just soldered banana plugs to the 12 volt leads.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
hebertjj

Club: KCRC
Default Commercial PS

Check it out; $20 + $13 s&h. You'll need a power cord (steal one from an old PC) and other wires.

http://www.web-tronics.com/1512siouposu1.html
Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #9
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Well??? All you guys?? Is this enough voltage. . Watts?. . Amperage. . . We are looking for the perfect home 12v power source to charge lipos..3cell to 8cell ..all us regular guys need input. . .we need opinions from experts!!!! Chime in. . .. All you gurus AND WIZARDS of the electron wave!!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,263 Times in 2,162 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (328)

Well??? All you guys?? Is this enough voltage. . Watts?. . Amperage. . . We are looking for the perfect home 12v power source to charge lipos..3cell to 8cell ..all us regular guys need input. . .we need opinions from experts!!!! Chime in. . .. All you gurus AND WIZARDS of the electron wave!!
Gee First it was 3 to4 cells, Now its 3 to 8 cells Gee, you cant make anyone Happy Now Days Just Kidding 10 to 12 Amps, should do you just Fine, with a Power source, Look at the Above Power sources, one is a 12 Amp, Thats all you will ever Need, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #11
Wingman26

Club: Shawnee Thunderbirds

I've been using 12 volt power supplies for over 40 years in ham radio, if you want to do it right, you need to get a good quality regulated power supply, I can't recommend any power supply that isn't regulated, a non regulated power supply can damage the equipment you connect to it and the damage can easily exceed what a decent quality regulated power supply would have cost in the first place.

The next best alternative is to get a decent size car battery and connect a battery charger to it, this will take care of a lot of the problems, but will end up costing about as much as buying a good quality regulated power supply in the first place.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #12
jdetray

Hi Wingman -

I believe all of the power supplies recommended in this thread are regulated. That is indeed an important point, and it's why most of the "wall-plug" type power supplies are not suitable for powering our chargers.

- Jeff (amateur radio NK1F, licensed 40 years)

AMA 787105
My other hobby: AstronomyBoy.com
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
hebertjj

Club: KCRC
Default Read the specs!!!

Read the specs before you start scaring people:

<<<<< Line Regulation (Full Load): < 0.5% >>>>>

This ain't 40 years ago; we're now in the PC age of cheap switching power supplies. There are millions of PCs out there that aren't blowing up from bad power supplies. If you don't want to convert a scrounged PC supply, this is a good PS at a good price.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
Wingman26

Club: Shawnee Thunderbirds

You need to read a post before you criticize it, I made a point that it was important to get a regulated power supply, at no time did I say that particular power supply wasn't regulated.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

o.k fellas lets not bicker. . . but by all means lets keep the great information flowing!!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #16
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

thanks to all for the great info. . . it just happens that i work in and around n.y.c. (the world capital for discarded p.c.'s) and i found one just today. i'm gonna give the cheap fix a chance first.i have the power supply out and will stop by radio shack for the other stuff i need.By the way. . . there are little cd rom motors, worm gears and a laser inside there too that i may need to tinker with also!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #17
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

View Rabbitcreekok's Gallery8
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (30)

thanks to all for the great info. . . it just happens that i work in and around n.y.c. (the world capital for discarded p.c.'s) and i found one just today. i'm gonna give the cheap fix a chance first.i have the power supply out and will stop by radio shack for the other stuff i need.By the way. . . there are little cd rom motors, worm gears and a laser inside there too that i may need to tinker with also!!!
The CD Rom motors can be used as a core to rewind and create a decent outrunner motor, but they are not useful as is. There is a whole cult following of folks who love to tinker with those motors but you really need some training unless you are familiar with rewinding motors. but the information is available.

I have found it is quicker and cheaper to buy new motors.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 AM   #18
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

it may be quicker and cheaper to buy new motors, rabbit ole' buddy. . . but how does that scratch my urge to tinker with stuff i know nothing about??? huh huh huh???
Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #19
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

it may be quicker and cheaper to buy new motors, rabbit ole' buddy. . . but how does that scratch my urge to tinker with stuff i know nothing about??? huh huh huh???

I have links somewhere to the motor rewinding task and as soon as I can locate them, I will post them for you.

It is not really difficult. I attended a little seminar where we removed the motor, unwound the old tiny wire and rewound the larger wire. Actually you have to buy new wire, magnets, motor shaft and various other bits. You actually only use the outer housing and the stator and a few other items.

I will find it for you.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #20
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Here are some links you may find interesting.

Fly Electric CD ROM motors

Micro Dan is a good source for supplies.

Another site for info on how to rewind motors.

I hope this gets you on the way to winding motors. One thing I learned is that not all CD ROM motors are created equally and some just can't be used as cores for rewinding.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 10-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

very kool info rabbit. . . i've flown .40 and bigger glow greasers for 15 years. but i gotta say that i'm glad i found electric. i love my stryker-c and fanfoam fighter jets!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers

Tags
120 , power , source , volt